Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
E1S
E1S began at the beginning.

Device: pocketbook pro 903
epub books no longer open

I can no longer open an epub book. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with my device? No problems with my epub newspaper or PDF-files, but it wil not open any epub book.
An option to set things back to factory settings would be helpful for me now. Is this available on the device?
E1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by E1S View Post
I can no longer open an epub book. Does anyone have any idea whats wrong with my device? No problems with my epub newspaper or PDF-files, but it wil not open any epub book.
An option to set things back to factory settings would be helpful for me now. Is this available on the device?
Is this happening on both apps? Is the same true for fbreader?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
E1S

Yes, it does.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:25 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
These are presumably ePubs with Adobe DRM (encryption). It is normal for these not to display with FBReader, but they should display with Adobe Digital Editions on your PocketBook. My initial thought was that you were defaulting to FBReader, but if you are sure that they don't open with ADE now and they did before then your device's authorization has been lost.

Open Desktop ADE and connect your PocketBook via USB. It should show up as authorized. You can try deauthorizing it and reauthorizing again and then recopy your ebooks.

My advice, though, is to instead strip the DRM on your PC and only copy over DRM-free ePubs to the PocketBook. As a bonus, you can then choose between ADE and FBReader to read all your ePubs. Adobe's DRM scheme has a few nice features (book seller independence for example), but its AdobeID interface is terrible. If you start down the re-authorization trail it will inevitably end up with calls to Adobe help desk and hassles getting your account reset.

See Apprentice Alf's Blog for everything DRM-related.

EDIT: Could your ePub newspaper be using a different AdobeID than your ebooks? I don't know how the newspaper works, but this seems possible. In any case, stripping the DRM from your ebooks certainly fixes this.

Last edited by wallcraft; 01-30-2011 at 03:32 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #5
JoanD
JoanD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle DX, Irex dr800sg, PB902
I got a 902 when they were first released. I've have had no problems reading ADE epubs using the original firmware or 2.0.3. Last week I updated to 2.0.4. Suddenly the book I had just been reading wouldn't load. I tried deleting it and then reloading. Nothing worked. I wrote to pocketbook customer support and received no reply. Finally, I just went back to 2.0.3 and everything is fine.
JoanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM   #6
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanD View Post
I got a 902 when they were first released. I've have had no problems reading ADE epubs using the original firmware or 2.0.3. Last week I updated to 2.0.4. Suddenly the book I had just been reading wouldn't load. I tried deleting it and then reloading. Nothing worked. I wrote to pocketbook customer support and received no reply. Finally, I just went back to 2.0.3 and everything is fine.
Could be that your device may have forgotten it's Adobe ID. Just connect to your PC via USB while ADE is running and reauthorize.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
JoanD
JoanD began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle DX, Irex dr800sg, PB902
Why would it "forget" the Adobe ID after I upgraded to 2.0.4 and then remember the ID as soon as I reverted to 2.0.3?
JoanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
LoneTech
Zealot
LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.LoneTech knows the square root of minus one.

Device: PocketBook Pro 903
There are several reports that the 2.0.4 January release simply breaks ADE DRM, including among people switching from the 2.0.4 December release (not increasing the version number there is biting you around now).

Wallcraft's advice is quite valid - since the DRM's only function is to prevent access to your documents, it's best to remove it as soon as possible. The tools to do so might be harder to find when you really need them.
LoneTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Hi,
had the same problum until yesterday when I solved it by chance.
It is really an authorization problem,unfortunately it is not solved by de- and reauthorizing your reader via ADE on your PC. You have to reauthorize by downloading a book (with DRM) with the built-in webbrowser.
When starting your download it will ask for your ADE Reg., as your device is currently not authorized,then simply enter E-mail and password and everything will work again.
I have absolutely no clue why you have to do it this way, and connection with PC doesn't work, but as long as it works...
Finally I strongly recommend you follow wallcrafts advice
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #10
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
what often happens with updates is that the updated firmware is seen as a new device by Digital Editions. This is one of the ways you over run your allowed number of autorizations. re-authorise the device. if it says you have exceeded your allowed number open a webcase with ADE support and get it reset.

edit: when you go back to the previous firmware it recognizes it as the previously authorized device.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-30-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:55 AM   #11
E1S

Thanks for all the help. But I finally formatted and put the books back on the device. It's fine now. I do not want to perform the upgrade because I'm afraid it wil happen again.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #12
PocketBook USA
PocketBook USA began at the beginning.

Device: 902, 701 IQ, 602, 302, 360, 301
"This is a common occurence with ADE when new firmware's come out. What happens is that ADE see the new firmware as a new device. Its happened with firmware for the 360 and 301 and with other devices.

Simply (re) authorize the device with ADE and it will work fine.

Connect device to PC. Start ADE. When it opens, ADE should detect the new device and offer to Authorize it. If it doesnt or it hangs and it shows the 902 in the list of "shelves" then you may have to de-authorize the device first.

With ADE open press Control Shift E to open the authorization dialog box. 902 should be selected then click de-authorize. Disconnect/eject the device, close ADE, reconnect the device and re-start ADE. The 902 should show in the shelves and you should be able to add books to it.

Books that were transferred before may have to be done again. I hadn't any on the device at the time to check that.

To remove the ADE authorization, go to Configuration/Maintenance/Remove ADE authorization.

Open ADE and plug in the device. It will ask to authorize the device, click yes."

If you have any further problems in regards to this issue, simply email service@pocketbook-usa.com or call 1-877-326-0196.
PocketBook USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #13
Krzych Ayanami
Enthusiast
Krzych Ayanami began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 903 (soon!)
I tried to do what you said, and that didn't help me.
Ade show me "too many activation" and "E_AUTH_BAD_DEVICE_KEY"...

PB have to make problem for customers. For PB this is funny.

This is very annoying.

Last edited by Krzych Ayanami; 02-01-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Krzych Ayanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #14
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych Ayanami View Post

This is very annoying.
It is DRM that makes the problem for customers.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzych Ayanami View Post

This is very annoying.
This isnt funny but it happens. Its not PocketBook's issue but simply the way that Digital Editions works.

What you need to do now is open a webcase with ADE

Follow these instructions i posted in a different thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
i agree its no the easiest to find

to open a web case go here http://www.adobe.com/support/digitaleditions/ and click "submit a web case" on the right side

Under 'Get Support', in the 'Techinical Support' tab

For "Choose issue type" select "Using a product or service"

For "Choose product", first select "Additional Products"

Then select "Adobe Digital Editions"

Tell them you need your authorizations reset

they should fix you up in a day or two. if not start a thread in the help forums

http://forums.adobe.com/community/ad...gital_editions

Jim Lester should get you squared away
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, factory setting, pocketbook 903