Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Just a Touch Away, the Elusive Tablet PC - NYT article

I think the main point is, tablets are coming, and this time they will "do" something. I think we can thank, in a large part, the hype generated by the Kindle to the coming stampede, even thought it is not a "tablet" per most definitions (not that the Kindle couldn't morph into a tablet, over time).

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/te.../05tablet.html
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #2
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
been eager to have these tablets out in the market already. it would really be great. i believe it's gonna be released very soon and they are working on it.. truly it's just a touch away.

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 08:08 AM   #3
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
For my part, I've been using pen computers since the NCR-3125, and am simply not willing to use a machine which I can't write and draw on.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Definitely looking forward to a variety of tablets coming out and seeing where the technology goes.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #5
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
One question on these tablet PCs: How are they going to replace a proper QWERTY keyboard? They can be used for fun, but for any kind of word processing except light edits, they won't be any good.

To me, that means there'll be quite an overlap between this and iPhone. What could a tablet PC do that an iPhone couldn't? I guess maybe surf faster, with a proper WiFi connection instead of 3G.

We'll see. Even Apple isn't immune to the occasional strike-out. Some would say that Macs haven't even caught on yet. (artists disagree) It was iPod and iPhone that really made Apple strong again.

I don't think folks have much faith in Microsoft any more. I know I don't. Word and Excel are pretty great. But aside from that?
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
kenmark
Addict
kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kenmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
On a related article from PC World:

Apple Tablet Most-Watched Product of 2010, But By Whom?
Quote:
Apple tablet hype is beginning to spin out of control. If the company is concerned the new device will not live up to incredible expectations, it has not shown it. Maybe it will be perfect, but if it isn't, Apple needs to start telling us what to expect.
kenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
One question on these tablet PCs: How are they going to replace a proper QWERTY keyboard? They can be used for fun, but for any kind of word processing except light edits, they won't be any good.
They're not meant to replace a PC or Laptop.

They'll replace an e-reader, PDA, paper/legal pad for note taking etc. While also being able to do web browsing, viewing e-mail, playing videos, games etc.

I want one as current readers are useless for my academic work. I need to be able to highlight passages, scribble notes in the margins, etc. just as quickly and easily as I can paper for it to be functional. Being able to flip pages quickly (see the MS Courier concept videos) would be a huge plus as well.

The i-phone can't do that with it's tiny screen and no stylus support.

But yeah, they won't replace a PC or laptop for word processing etc. Though I suppose you could put it on a little stand on a desk and plug a usb keyboard into it--but still wouldn't be useful for that function on the go.

And I do think they'll be a fairly niche item. If you're not an academic or business professional with the need to do the stuff I outlined above, it probably doesn't make much since over having a reader and a laptop/netbook.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
For any sort of extended text entry, just use a keyboard (most Fujitsu units use IR wireless keyboards, many have an option for a docking station, or just plug in a keyboard or use a bluetooth one).

A Tablet PC can view large amounts of text w/o scrolling, or a figure or chart or photo w/o shrinking it to illegibility, or requiring endless scrolling, and it can run the same applications one uses on one's desktop.

Editing is incredibly powerful on a Tablet PC / pen slate, esp. if one uses software which supports traditional editing gestures.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote