Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
NeoLux Debuts New Solar-Powered E-Ink Display

Engadget is reporting that the Korean company NeoLux is putting the finishing touches on a super-thin, solar-powered e-ink display. Can you imagine not having to ever worry about recharging your ebook reader?

That is, finding an outlet while you're on the beach, in the car, on a bike trip or hiking somewhere. Just stick your ebook reader under a light bulb at night, or in the sun and you're all set to go. The tyranny of Thomas Edison will be a thing of the past!!

Here's a link to the NeoLux blurb (at NeoLux):

http://www.neoluxiim.com/english/sub/new07.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07-12-09neoluxiim.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	32115  
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Engadget is reporting that the Korean company NeoLux is putting the finishing touches on a super-thin, solar-powered e-ink display. Can you imagine not having to ever worry about recharging your ebook reader?

That is, finding an outlet while you're on the beach, in the car, on a bike trip or hiking somewhere. Just stick your ebook reader under a light bulb at night, or in the sun and you're all set to go. The tyranny of Thomas Edison will be a thing of the past!!

Here's a link to the NeoLux blurb (at NeoLux):

http://www.neoluxiim.com/english/sub/new07.php

DO WANT!
Thanks for the link, this looks like a real step forward. I wonder if we could retrofit our ereaders with these solar panels?
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Now *that* would be gorgeous to have.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 09:32 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Sounds interesting. However, I did notice that the company specializes in e-ink signs, not books. They do produce a book product (NUUT), but this announcement applies to their sign product (ink-in-motion).

Perhaps an electrical guru can help us interpret this? How much power would be needed to drive a full ebook device: processor, flash and sd memory, display and other components? How big would a solar panel need to be to deliver this much power?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:21 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
We had a solar charger with us last week, but couldn't use it at all... Lack of sun and plenty of clouds and rain. So, Edison is still of much use at times

But it's a very nice step into the right direction.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
is it sad that I live in az and I think I would still be better off pluging this into the wall.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Interesting but I'm not convinced it would be useful until e-books are cheaper. If I leave it out, or visible say in the car, it will be stolen.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 10:14 PM   #8
CleverClothe
Guru
CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CleverClothe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
We had a solar charger with us last week, but couldn't use it at all... Lack of sun and plenty of clouds and rain. So, Edison is still of much use at times

But it's a very nice step into the right direction.
You mean Tesla was much use.
CleverClothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
FYI, most current solar chargers will work fine with just an ordinary light bulb. Not quickly but they will at least trickle charge. And given that Li-Poly/Li-ION batteries like a lot of smaller frequent charges these make even more sense. So the reader would not need to be left on the window of your car...and I would worry more about heat than someone stealing your device. In the 30+ years I have been driving and owned vehicles, only once was my vehicle broken into and that was one of the few times I actually locked the doors. I pretty much never lock them...not being cavalier but rather it's a self defense thing...I have to actually remove the lock post on my driver door or I will lock my keys in the car fairly often. I get distracted when working or what not and just experienced that "oh crap!!!" sensation as you see your keys sitting on the console or seat has the door clicks...hehehehe...of course I lock it with valuables in there. My uncle was an ATF agent who came up through the ranks starting out as a beat/patrolman in Long Beach way back when and one of the best bits of wisdom he passed on to me is when carrying anything of value the best way to draw attention to it is to make a fuss over protecting it...if you carry a 100k around in a old paper sack from the grocery store and odds are no thief would ever give it a second look, but put your things in an expensive briefcase, wallet or bag of any sort and the odds go up fast that it will draw attention. so will constantly checking if your bag (or whatever) is still where you left it...of course if it's that valuable, don't leave it somewhere...hehehe The logic applies to a variety of situations. I miss him, he taught me a bunch...but at least the info is in there somewhere with a lot of funny stories.

Sorry for meandering OT there but it just triggered what I learned and how it has worked for me. Anyway, a solar charging system would be a very nice and smart addition to an ereading device, but I suspect the real goal is or large signage rather than reading device with likely would use more power per month than a 20'x60' billboard if you think about it...maybe one page refresh per month?? Heck, all of the highway/roadside emergency phones are solar powered using a battery to store the energy. Same basic idea on a different scale.

Yet having a way to charge your reader while say on a camping or backpacking trip would be super...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote