Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #91
susaz
Zealot
susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Grammata Papyre 6.2, Sony PRS T1, Nook ST Glow,Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mujokan View Post
They should do some marketing on the "cloud" concept.

But really it is more efficient to use local storage. It is so cheap these days, and you don't have all that data whizzing around costing money.

Cloud would be most useful for people with lots of devices. Seems like it is getting so as you're surrounded by screens of various sizes, and you pick up or turn on the one that has the right characteristics for the application you have in mind. It is not unusual to have six screens in your living room at once, I would say. Then you have media and software in the cloud which you can see through any screen.

However, all this costs money. I already am surrounded by more quality entertainment than I can hope to consume. When do we reach a screen-interaction glut? My phone is super cheap but durable. Personally I just don't need the internet when I am out on the street. An SD card turns it into a cool little media player (transcode movies through Handbrake to fit). So I personally have almost no use for cloud computing.
I love cloud computing when it comes to photos. If I were to carry with me in all devices I´d go mad. I use dropbox so much with photos, now I can´t live without it.
susaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #92
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Well, you're just making up numbers like anybody else. You can't deduce from the price difference between the N7 and the Sammy tab that the $50 are for the SD card. For starters, you don't know the BOM of any of those devices, and how much profit the manufacturer is making. Your $50 figure is way too high; $2 may be too low, but with $50 you are way over the top - that'd be comparable, if not more expensive, than the LCD screen.
Glad to have you backing me up afv011. I got to get you a rotor or at least a beanie with a propeller so you can ride along side me.

Remember I do still have a little tech in my blood from the old days, and while I don't work in that area, I do occasionally peruse those guys who break down the costs of building these machines. You know the ones who tell you a Kindle Fire actually costs $185 or so, and an $499 iPad costs about $250. There are places where they show the "build lists" of components and the cost of assembling same.

Now as far as what things cost in the store, I would recommend the $50 guy to go look in an electronics catalog or Amazon or a Best Buy and see what kind of hardware his $50 can buy and compare that to an SD slot. Donald Trump would say "unbelievable!"
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #93
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Glad to have you backing me up afv011. I got to get you a rotor or at least a beanie with a propeller so you can ride along side me.
Wait for me...

Spoiler:
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #94
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
That reasoning assumes that the number of possible customers does not increase and that I believe is false so your conclusion does not follow.
Yeah, this.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #95
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

Remember I do still have a little tech in my blood from the old days, and while I don't work in that area, I do occasionally peruse those guys who break down the costs of building these machines. You know the ones who tell you a Kindle Fire actually costs $185 or so, and an $499 iPad costs about $250. There are places where they show the "build lists" of components and the cost of assembling same.

Now as far as what things cost in the store, I would recommend the $50 guy to go look in an electronics catalog or Amazon or a Best Buy and see what kind of hardware his $50 can buy and compare that to an SD slot. Donald Trump would say "unbelievable!"
According to this, the screen only costs $38, or $62 when you include the touchscreen. So, obviously $50 for the SD card is BS. For comparison, the camera costs $2.50 so that'd give some support to the people saying that the SD card mount would cost $2.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #96
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Well, you're just making up numbers like anybody else. You can't deduce from the price difference between the N7 and the Sammy tab that the $50 are for the SD card.
Quote:
Quote:
According to this, the screen only costs $38, or $62 when you include the touchscreen. So, obviously $50 for the SD card is BS. For comparison, the camera costs $2.50 so that'd give some support to the people saying that the SD card mount would cost $2.
You guys are misunderstanding and misreading my post.
I didn't say or mean to imply that the $50 cost difference between those models was because of the cost of the SD slot. In fact I said of course it's not just that.
I'm saying that regardless of the actual hardware costs, comparable devices that have that feature are positioned as a premium, higher priced device. Like the GPS and wood grain trim in a "EXL Deluxe" model car for $2000 more. It doesn't mean those feastures actually cost $2000, it means that's how the vendor chooses to package and price those features.
I'm saying that even if the actual cost of adding an SD card slot is only a couple bucks per device (and I am curious if anyone knows the REAL total cost), vendors have NOT been including that feature in comparable devices at that price. They are including it only in higher priced devices, and since they are not non-profit-charities required to only pass on actual cost, this is to be expected.

I'm saying that just ranting about how adding an SD slot only costs $2 does not in anyway suggest that that if the Nexus 7 had had an SD card, it would have cost $202 dollars. The market prices of the moment suggest a device with those kind of specs and features would be priced like the Galaxy Tab or the Nook Tablet: $250

It would be that price because they see they can get that price, and they are in business to make money.
And if you want to pay that price...devices with SD slots are out there...go buy em!

Of course that's coming down every moment we discuss it, so the Fire 2 and whatever is on tap might well come out at $99.99, who knows.

ApK

Last edited by ApK; 07-29-2012 at 01:22 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #97
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What was said was that when you include the software cost and increased support cost the cost might actually be much more than the cost for just the hardware.

Last edited by tompe; 07-29-2012 at 04:43 PM.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #98
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
What was said was that when you include the software cost and increades support cost the cost might actually be much more than the cost for just the hardware.
Indeed, but no way $50. And when compared to the front camera, which costs $2.50:
  • Both require hardware, and arguably the camera is more expensive due to complexity (it has optics, plus some circuitry to convert light into electric signal), whereas the SD card mount is just a piece of metal
  • Both require soldering points to the motherboard
  • Both require a driver to talk to the hardware, again the camera driver is arguably more complex

I can't see how anybody could say that the reason the SD card was not included was cost. I grant that even $2, when you sell a million units, it's 2 million bucks right there, but to imply that adding a SD card slot would vastly increase the cost is a fallacy.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #99
afv011
Captain Penguin

By the way, the 16GB model is back in stock on the play store. The 8GB is sold out as of right now.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #100
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Apropos of absolutely nothing in this thread, it always cracks me up when I see the avatars for Tubemonkey and Howyoudoin together.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #101
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Wait for me...

Spoiler:
Put some wings or a para-foil (chute) on that backward propeller contraption and you got an ultralight.

I can get you airborne for $10K or so. Sure thing! The only other ingredient is "nerve" but a monkey is bound to have a lot of that!

You can pick the highest fruit!
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM   #102
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Indeed, but no way $50. [...] but to imply that adding a SD card slot would vastly increase the cost is a fallacy.
You are for some reason ignoring most of what I am saying and clinging to this $50 cost idea.

I am curious as the actual cost, since so many folks are claiming it's so little. I'd like to know how they think they know.
But I'm not speaking of manufacturing cost, I'm speaking of selling price. It's an observation of the actual price of stuff..
Regardless of cost, they would not sell it to us at that price.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #103
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
This year Samsung has surpassed Apple and as sold twice as many smartphones as Apple. People want variety.

That said Apple and Ford had a huge fundamental difference in philosophy, Ford believed it was the business' obligation to be as efficient as possible and transfer that cost savings to the customer. The model T was king for years because of it it was the best products at the best price.
Obviously Apple will be crushed when you consider the number of units sold. Market share of the iphone will go down precisely because of this one-size-fits-all approach. But ScotiaBurell is correct in that Apple's phone division is still a lot more profitable than Samsung's. And the question remains how long Apple can make the current system work. With only one new model out every 1 1/2 to 2 years even a slight miss would be absolutely disastrous. If, on the other hand, Samsung misfires with one phone they will just have 3 new ones 2-3 months later.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #104
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
...only one new model out every 1 1/2 to 2 years...
There was nothing worth upgrading for between the 4 and the 4S, so that'd mean more than 2 years now to get something worth upgrading for (LTE, or a screen that gets on par with what Android offered 3 years ago, or free turn by turn navigation, which we've enjoyed for 2 or 3 years now). Of course, there's no reason you couldn't get the turn by turn to work on the 4 or 4S (after all, I have turn by turn working on my HTC G1 from 2009), but you want to bet apple will sing the usual song, "the hardware is not up to par"?
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 AM   #105
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
There was nothing worth upgrading for between the 4 and the 4S, so that'd mean more than 2 years now to get something worth upgrading for (LTE, or a screen that gets on par with what Android offered 3 years ago, or free turn by turn navigation, which we've enjoyed for 2 or 3 years now). Of course, there's no reason you couldn't get the turn by turn to work on the 4 or 4S (after all, I have turn by turn working on my HTC G1 from 2009), but you want to bet apple will sing the usual song, "the hardware is not up to par"?
Now, now... Apple knows what's best for us. Android is like the unmarried aunt who visits and spoils you rotten by giving you things you're not ready for; while Apple is the parent who knows when you're ready for something and then, and only then, will allow you to have it.

Good mommy Apple -- bad aunty Android
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote