Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
trevend
trevend began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Bricked Kobo

Purchased the Kobo Touch yesterday. Had some minor detection issues with the computer (win7 64bit), but nothing that doesn't usually happen with USB stuff. Eventually, however, the screen seemed to blow up, looked like six things were happening at once. Since then, the Kobo has had the responsiveness of a brick.

I submitted a ticket to Kobo and am waiting for their operatives to catch up, but I figured someone might have a suggestion here.

With a pin reset or when I hold HOME and slide the power right, the blue light displays for two seconds, then reverts to the continuous green (if plugged into a power source; if not, the green light flashes and fades). The screen then flashes white twice and goes dark. There is otherwise no responsiveness in the unit. I am assuming I have a battery issue, since it seems to be in a perpetual state of charging, but without being able to generate anything out of the unit and without being able to detect the unit with a computer, I'm at a loss as to how to proceed. I would bring it back to Borders, but they won't be able to replace it (given the current state of things over there), and I'm actually interested in having a Kobo ereader, ultimately (so a refund won't help so much in that regard).

Any advice? Maybe my firmware is borked and flashing from the SD port? Ultimately, I'll probably just wait until this escalates sufficiently to get a replacement, but I want my new toy NOW.

Thank you
trevend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
Pistos
Connoisseur
Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Pistos could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

That sounds to me like the troubles fall under the normal warranty coverage, so I would just put the wheels in motion to get it fixed or replaced as per the warranty. Even if you somehow manage to get it working on your own, wouldn't you not trust the reliability of that particular physical unit anymore?
Pistos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
trevend
trevend began at the beginning.

That's the plan.

If *I* got it working again, I actually might But I do agree. No sense in dealing with it if I haven't even been able to get it attached to my computer yet. Obviously no easy fix.
trevend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
You could try a factory reset. Hold down the Home button and at the same time slide the power-on button to the right and release it WHILE still holding down the Home button. If successful, the LED light will turn red and the factory reset prompt will be displayed.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest taking it back to the shop you purchased your Kobo and ask for a replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert