Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #1
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Slow page-turning

While reading Anna Karenina (don't remember where I got it), I had very slow page-turning; about half a minute per page. I thought it was because it was a big book ; rebooted....still slow; rebooted....got stuck.

Finally, in the middle of the night, I deleted the book from my Kindle----uploaded the same book through the Feedbooks catalogue in a second, and .....taraaa..... slow page-turning fixed.

Last edited by desertblues; 11-14-2010 at 05:10 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:50 AM   #2
enkov
Advanced Dunno
enkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud ofenkov has much to be proud of

Device: Kindle Fire HDX 7 + Paperwhite 2013
What formats was this book before and now - mobi, prc, txt or pdf. If it was pdf with some background images (i.e. not formatted for Kindle) - it is true - very slow page turning. Prefer mobi/prc and wait some time for indexing after uploading new books to the Kindle's documents folder. I disconnect Kindle and wait 15 minutes without unplugging the device from a USB port when I upload amount of books.
enkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 08:04 AM   #3
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I converted that book from epub to mobi, for my iLiad, some years ago.
Yes, the Kindle has problems with some of the PDF's, so I just read them all on my iPad.
But for some reason, this mobi really got stuck in my Kindle.
I was glad to have another opportunity to download the book from Feedbooks; excellent service; have all three catalogues Mobile Read/ Feedbooks and Magic Catalogue.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
I converted that book from epub to mobi, for my iLiad, some years ago.
Yes, the Kindle has problems with some of the PDF's, so I just read them all on my iPad.
But for some reason, this mobi really got stuck in my Kindle.
I was glad to have another opportunity to download the book from Feedbooks; excellent service; have all three catalogues Mobile Read/ Feedbooks and Magic Catalogue.
Since you've apparently destroyed the evidence (<g>) one can only speculate: There may have been some corruption in the file that prevented Kindle from completing the indexing of particular file. It will just stay in the indexing queue, Kindle will keep trying to index it, which can suck CPU cycles and result in sluggishness, instability. Or perhaps the conversion tool you used years ago didn't do a good enough job for Kindle.

Interestingly, yesterday I downloaded a .prc from the mobileread collection here and tried to read it on Kindle for Mac. K4Mac crashed! But I was able to read it with the mac Kindle Previewer (and I assume my Kindle would be okay too). But it suggests that not all mobi formats are created equal...
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
desertblues
Home for the moment

And when I search now within Anna Karinena; I get the message " your search can not be completed as this item has not yet been indexed. please try again later.".
Advert
Old 11-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
And when I search now within Anna Karinena; I get the message " your search can not be completed as this item has not yet been indexed. please try again later.".
It's a long book - but it is also possible that Feedbooks has a problem serving it up. I have been having trouble lately with getting good copies of their download guide lately: sometimes corrupted and unindex-able. I've seen similar reports from others as well.

You might try downloading to your computer and using K4PC or whatever to see if it can open it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #7
desertblues
Home for the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It's a long book - but it is also possible that Feedbooks has a problem serving it up. I have been having trouble lately with getting good copies of their download guide lately: sometimes corrupted and unindex-able. I've seen similar reports from others as well.

You might try downloading to your computer and using K4PC or whatever to see if it can open it.
Thanks, I'll try that one. I am able to read it though; no slow pageturning, but something's going on with my Kindle, as my battery is draining at a somewhat alarming speed. Charged it day before yesterday; now is threequarts empty.