Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 AM   #14716
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
For variety my next book was non-fiction: Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything. Amazingly easy read that made the history of science come to life. I especially liked the ancient history and was dismayed to find out how much I was taught 30+ years ago is obsolete or wrong. Pluto, you let me down and I'll never forgive you.
This is a great book! I am reading a chapter now and then when I don't feel like reading my current (fiction) book. It's so easy to read, and so many interesting things packed inside that I am sure I will have to read it again to remember at least half of the facts!

Currently I am re-reading Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander". Read it years ago as PB and in German, now I bought the bundle of all 7 books in English for my Kobo. And I still like it
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:46 AM   #14717
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I just read a 'Doc Savage' book. Hadn't read one in about 10 years. 2-3 hours of The Man of Bronze is fun. Thank goodness the books are a fast read.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #14718
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Finished In Short - great short creative non-fiction articles 3/5 stars but some true gems in the mix. All are good no stinkers in the batch. http://www.amazon.com/Short-Collecti.../dp/0393314928

Started In Fact - The best of creative non-fiction and the first entry "Three Spheres" by Lauren Slater totally blew me away (that's what the first one is supposed to do, right? ) but really it is an incredible and incredibly well written personal story.
http://www.amazon.com/Fact-Best-Crea...ywords=in+fact
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM   #14719
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A splendid collection of her shorter Darkover stories. Interesting background on minor (& not so minor) characters.

Next: The Demon in the Skull by Frederik Pohl
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #14720
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Decided I needed to do a re-read of Darkship Thieves. Finished that, and moved on to Darkship Renegades. About 1/2 way through. Enjoying it, but I'd give it no more than a 4 out of 5. But I notice that I'm not putting it down.
And I'm nearly done, but it's down to a 3 out of 5, or even a 2 out of 5. I'll not be reading later books in the series, this one has put me off them. Next up, a Georgette Heyer, though I haven't decided which one. At least I know it won't disappoint!
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2012, 03:57 AM   #14721
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Just started "Three to Get Deadly," the third in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plumb series. I like the 'inner city' jive that goes on in this series. No serious reading, but fun dialog between real New Jersey city people, sort of how I grew up but across the river.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #14722
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Hobbit is a classic.
You and I have been agreeing a lot lately, Jon. 11/22/63, Mitch Rapp series, and now The Hobbit (my current read but already a classic in my eyes, and I'm only 75% through).
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #14723
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
Currently I am re-reading Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander". Read it years ago as PB and in German, now I bought the bundle of all 7 books in English for my Kobo. And I still like it
I selected Outlander as one of five selections from NPR's Top 100 SF&F list as part of my 2012 Challenge and I was completely absorbed in the story at once. I'm midway through the second book now and happy to know there are a few more yet to enjoy.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #14724
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I finished Shadow of Night. I loved it. I enjoyed it more than I did Discovery of Witches. That is probably not shocking since time travel and Elizabethan England are two of my favorite things and the historical detail seemed good. I also think the characters gained more depth. Awesome and up my alley. 5/5

I started Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion. I saw the preview for the movie and found it was an interesting-sounding book. I about 15% in and am liking it so far.

I finished the audiobook of Kafka on the Shore. I was really loving it but the ending didn't really come together for me. Gorgeous writing but I still have no idea what it was about. Maybe I would've been better served reading this one instead of listening to it, although the narrator was good?
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #14725
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
I finished Shadow of Night. I loved it. I enjoyed it more than I did Discovery of Witches. That is probably not shocking since time travel and Elizabethan England are two of my favorite things and the historical detail seemed good. I also think the characters gained more depth. Awesome and up my alley. 5/5
I just finished listening to these two and agree that Shadow of Night was better. It was especially frustrating to get to the end of the first book and have nothing whatsoever resolved in the plot. I hate that.

There was too much vampire stuff and not enough witch stuff in both for my taste and the romance was gag-worthy most of the time. The historical details do redeem the books from mediocrity.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM   #14726
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quake1028 View Post
You and I have been agreeing a lot lately, Jon. 11/22/63, Mitch Rapp series, and now The Hobbit (my current read but already a classic in my eyes, and I'm only 75% through).
After I finish Memorial Day today, I'm going to read Dead Beat and then I'll read the short story Something Borrowed from Side Jobs.

How does this sound?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #14727
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I selected Outlander as one of five selections from NPR's Top 100 SF&F list as part of my 2012 Challenge and I was completely absorbed in the story at once. I'm midway through the second book now and happy to know there are a few more yet to enjoy.
NPR is full of nonsence. The Outlander series is not fantasy. It has a time travel gimmick to get the heroine back and forth in time. But other then that, it's not at all fantasy.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #14728
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
NPR is full of nonsence. The Outlander series is not fantasy. It has a time travel gimmick to get the heroine back and forth in time. But other then that, it's not at all fantasy.
Ms. Gabaldon *sort* of agrees with you.

Quote:
Frankly, I’ve never been able to describe this book in twenty-five words or less, and neither has anyone else in the twenty years since it was first published. I’ve seen it (and the rest of the series) sold—with evident success—as <deep breath> Literature, Fiction, Historical Fiction, Historical NON-fiction (really. Well, they are very accurate), Science Fiction, Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Military History (no, honest), Gay and Lesbian Fiction, and…Horror. (Really! One of my books beat both George R.R. Martin and Stephen King for a Quill Award in 2006.) Anyway, the only way I’ve ever found of describing this book to anyone is to begin telling them the story.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM   #14729
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I picked up the Icerigger Trilogy by Alan Dean Foster as an ebook. I have also them in PB. I am looking forward to rereading them on my Nook.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:46 PM   #14730
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Ms. Gabaldon *sort* of agrees with you.
I would call the Outlander series historical fiction as it mostly takes place in the distant past.