Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Question Secure MS Reader books on Sony

I have for a number of years now been using some variant of a Windows CE device as an ebook reader. Currently it's an IPAQ with MS reader. I want something with a bigger screen and am leaning towards the Sony PRS700. I have some ebooks I bought in the past and these are in MS Reader secure lit format. Now I am Scots, and I am not paying twice for the same thing, so I want to be able to read these on any new device I buy.
With the help of information found here I used CovertLit, but this leaves me with a directory full of html files. So, I read further and found Book Designer. This seems a very poweful tool, but although it can import mutiple files by joining them, I cannot find a way to influence the order, unless I rename them.
Have I missed something? Is there a way to do this with a different tool? Or is life just not as simple as I would like?
Am I joining a queue of others waiting for the ideal ebook tool, or just waiting for someone to point the way?
Sorry about the mass of questions, but if I don't ask I won't learn.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Actually, you can use ConvertLit to downconvert the books. This leaves them in the .lit format. Then you can use Calibre to import the .lit files, convert them, and load them onto a Sony Device.

Disclaimer: Bear in mind, of course, the legalities of using Convertlit.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:12 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The standard ConvertLIT can downconvert, but I suggest "ConvertLIT GUI" which is a bit more convenient to use. You want "downconvert" rather than "extract" (which is what you are doing now).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The standard ConvertLIT can downconvert, but I suggest "ConvertLIT GUI" which is a bit more convenient to use. You want "downconvert" rather than "extract" (which is what you are doing now).
Excellent point, you can also do a large list of files more easily within ConvertLit Gui.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Thumbs up

Thanks for the responses. I might have known I was missing something.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
you can use ABC amber LIT convertor to convert them to HTML.
Then join them with vHTMLMerger in the desired order, and edit with BD,or directly convert to lrf with calibre.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:46 AM   #7
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
If using BD to edit, then no need for ABC amber LIT converter. Upload drm-free lit directly to BD.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
If using BD to edit, then no need for ABC amber LIT converter. Upload drm-free lit directly to BD.
Didn't know that worked!
I never tried it before.
I'm learning every day!

If you load it in BD, you might lose some formatting, and manually need to edit the file.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
No formating lost in translating AFAIK.
All italics, bolds and titles/subtitles are in place.
Moreover, I have noticed that BD recognizes lit better than html.

The only problem is sometime if in the middle of the text there is a line like: GO AWAY! or NO! WAIT! it might be recognised as a title. But it is a trivial thing to change it back to paragraph.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
No formating lost in translating AFAIK.
All italics, bolds and titles/subtitles are in place.
Moreover, I have noticed that BD recognizes lit better than html.

The only problem is sometime if in the middle of the text there is a line like: GO AWAY! or NO! WAIT! it might be recognised as a title. But it is a trivial thing to change it back to paragraph.
ive found it depends, sometime the Lits are not Reflowable, but on a whole i Prefer to use either HTML or LIT to import into Book Designer if the text is formatted well.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
you can use ABC amber LIT convertor to convert them to HTML.
Then join them with vHTMLMerger in the desired order, and edit with BD,or directly convert to lrf with calibre.
Don't use ABC Amber LIT Converter to convert LIT as it is seriously buggy because it uses old ConvertLIT code. If you want to expand an MS Reader eBook, use lit2oeb sinc eit works a lot nicer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote