Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-13-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Device: Pocketbook
After installing PBTERM ...

PBTERM on my PB622 ran just fine, the problem is that I was never confronted with a BusyBox-Ash environment. It seems there is no Home dir, 'whoami' yields 'sreader', 'su' is not supported, 'cd' to most dirs is out of reach, it goes without saying that Python is not installed. Could someone direct me to some PB related doc, thus enabling me to poke the insides of the reader? Thanks in advance.
vmsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
You've pretty much reached the extent of the "hacking", although I'd say that most of the directories are readable, if not writable. Which directories can't you read?

I don't think there are any docs to do with hacking PocketBook devices, most likely because the recent ones haven't been rooted. They are locked down pretty well. However, you can do most things you want via the sreader account.

I think many of the utility programs in the Debian Lenny armel distribution will work on the Pro and later devices. You might be able to copy python over from there, plus whatever supporting libraries are needed and missing on the devices. Otherwise, you can cross-compile programs using the SDK.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 09:13 AM   #3
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
... I'd say that most of the directories are readable, if not writable... Which directories can't you read? ...
When I attach the PB622 to my Ubuntu, I can see a folder for each author, plus a 'system' folder, plus a few others.

But when I activate PC Link on the PB622 and inoke PBterm, 'cd /' followed by 'ls' will show me a few top level folders, 'cd ebrmain' will yield a few others, amongst which "Pocketbook", which cannot be listed because of 'permission denied'. And
since 'su' and 'find' are not available, it becomes impossible to see equivalent views in Ubuntu and in PBterm, let alone indulge in other kinds of "hacking".
Old 04-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The internal memory with the system directory is mounted under /mnt/ext1. The SD card is mounted under /mnt/ext2. Those two directories and /var/tmp are pretty much the only ones that sreader has write privileges for. Run mount to see what partitions are currently mounted and where.

/ebrmain/pocketbook is a soft link to the monitor.app program, so you can't cd to it. ls -l will give you more information on what each entry in a directory is.

As I mentioned in my last post, you can install utility programs from the Debian Lenny armel distribution to /mnt/ext1/system/bin and use them in pbterm. I think I uploaded the find program to MobileRead, so try searching this site to see if you can find it. If not, then search the Debian archives and get it from there.

P.S. Here's where I uploaded find: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52&postcount=2

Last edited by rkomar; 04-15-2015 at 12:32 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
vmsda
Enthusiast

Ok, rkomar, thank you very much.