Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #31
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
The main thing a laptop has going for it in the above scenario is that it's one single piece. A tablet with a docking station and a keyboard (even worse if the two are separate) is more of a hassle to transport and set up, than a device where all you have to do is open the lid and press a button.
Tablets and docking stations are still in their infancy. It won't be long before they'll be integrated such that they'll seem like a single unit and easily separate when only the tablet is needed.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM   #32
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Tablets and docking stations are still in their infancy. It won't be long before they'll be integrated such that they'll seem like a single unit and easily separate when only the tablet is needed.
Probably. But that still leaves us with the disparity in hardware between tablets and notebooks, and the fact that in a laptop you can fit a lot more than a tablet. Not to mention the upgrade abilities. My laptop has an SSD and 8GB RAM, and it did not start out with either. With tablets user upgrades don't happen.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 05:49 PM   #33
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
One day this will be true in a long distant future ... oh hey look what we got here.

More pictures here (more...)

Personally I don't think it's the hardware that is the limitation. It's the software.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #34
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
and the reviews for the above slider show it trouncing every android tablet outthere even slightly edging out its cousin the asus transformer with same spec's. you can look at anandtech or hot hardware or other place to read thier experiences with it. despite it having the same core guts ad every other tegra 2 tablet out there it sits on the top of the android mountain...well untill the transformer prime is released in december
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:05 AM   #35
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
17" laptop - to carry around with you?
Not like I do with my 10" tablet, but if I wanted it to just sit on the desk, I would have bought a desktop.

Quote:
This has been a concept for a while:

But I'd rather see this become reality first:
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #36
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartu View Post
You mean Galaxy Tab 7"? Because 10.1 is actually tegra 2. And, to be honest, I'm not quite sure why one would need a faster GPU, being an owner of 10.1" version.
My mistake - I thought the 10.1 also had the Exynos chip.

(Yeah, I don't know whether you would really need a faster GPU - but since everyone seems to be using them, it struck me as odd that the Tegra 3 didn't jump ahead).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:05 AM   #37
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
Does a tablet really need a quad core processor?
It does. My original Transformer cannot play HD videos from my camcorder...
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:19 AM   #38
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:

The main thing a laptop has going for it in the above scenario is that it's one single piece. A tablet with a docking station and a keyboard (even worse if the two are separate) is more of a hassle to transport and set up, than a device where all you have to do is open the lid and press a button.
Quote:
Have the two of you even tried the original Asus Transformer? It can't possibly get any more stream lined. I bet I could dock and boot up the the Transformer 5 times faster than you could boot up a netbook (and that's being generous).
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #39
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
I'm thinking what would I do with a docked asus prime/transformer. Android is great for phones, ok for tablets (where I already miss possibility of having 2 apps running side by side) but as OS running on a (transformable) netbook?

Idea is great, but we aren't there yet OS wise, imo.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:50 PM   #40
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Have the two of you even tried the original Asus Transformer? It can't possibly get any more stream lined. I bet I could dock and boot up the the Transformer 5 times faster than you could boot up a netbook (and that's being generous).
Seen it and played with it, yes. I was responding to a very specific comment, not tablets in general.

If you're going to have a 17-inch tablet, and a docking station like the Transformer, you're spending enough money that you may as well get a 17-inch laptop, with considerably more processing power and upgrade ability.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:40 PM   #41
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
If you're going to have a 17-inch tablet, and a docking station like the Transformer, you're spending enough money that you may as well get a 17-inch laptop, with considerably more processing power and upgrade ability.
I think the concept behind the tablets is that you already have the primary computer and want something lighter, faster, and more convenient.

I'm kind of torn on the docking keyboards, though. On the one hand, sometimes there is just no way around a keyboard. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I take with my iPad if I'm travelling for a few days and think I'll need to write more than a paragraph or so. When my internet went out at home for a few days, it was also nice to be able to use the iPad, keyboard, and 3G until things were back up and running.

On the other hand, if I carry the keyboard with me all the time, I lose a lot of the advantages of the tablet because it becomes (combined) bulkier and heavier. My iPad weighs 1.3 lbs and is about as thick as a pencil; I can basically carry in any bag and not think about it. But a transformer with docking station weighs 3 lbs (more than my netbook) and is also about twice as thick as a tablet alone. So if I carry it, I don't save any weight over a netbook, and there is more thickness, too. Of course, you can separate it and just carry the tablet (although you'll need an additional case)...but, except in special use situations, I would hate to spend $150 for a docking case that I mostly leave at home.

Zagg has had a keyboard case for the iPad since it came out (it's a BT keyboard seems to work well, although it doesn't offer as much functionality as the transformer's (it's about $50 cheaper, which is still $99). It's been somewhat successful, I think, but I've never seen one in the wild. So I'm not sure what the market is for, basically, separable tablets.

Of course, I might have this backwards. It's quite possible that the keyboard functionality encourages people to buy the Asus (w/o) the keyboard because they are not sure if they want a tablet or not, but can be assured that they can always buy the keyboard dock later in case they are not happy with the pure tablet. That - as I think about it - makes a lot of sense.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #42
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
i have the zaggmate keyboard for my ipad2 thinking it would be helpfull but the way the case is made its very slippry when "closed" and akward to use with accessories... the actual typing is very respnsive and good. its the way it sits in the keyboard case and the very slick surface that makes it very drop prone.. the leather cases with blutooth keyboards feel quite a bit more function and not nearly as slippery and drop prone ... on the otherhand the keyboard isnt quite as nice. the keyboards on the transfomers and sliders are MUCH better than either of my keyboards for my ipad 2
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:53 AM   #43
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
And that doesn't even begin to cover the differences between tablets, big laptops, and the gaming tower that I have at home. Let me know when they have 24-inch tablets with surround sound, 8GB RAM, a DirectX 11 video card and six-core CPUs.

And this doesn't just apply to gaming, by the way. Videographers, photographers, architects, and any other profession where large screens and copious amounts of processing power is a necessity to get the job done and keep the revenue flowing, will never abandon PCs for tablets. Not until tablets have evolved so far from what they currently are that they no longer are what we think of as a tablet today.

If all a person ever uses their computer for is email, Facebook and Twitter, then a tablet can probably be enough, but to paraphrase The Onion a little bit, "in the business world, where people use computers to do actual work rather than just ***ing around, it's doubtful that tablets will take over"
I knew a fellow, had a water cooled Dell desktop tower for games. Didn't know such a thing was possible. He swore it though.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:00 AM   #44
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I think the concept behind the tablets is that you already have the primary computer and want something lighter, faster, and more convenient.

I'm kind of torn on the docking keyboards, though. On the one hand, sometimes there is just no way around a keyboard. I have a bluetooth keyboard that I take with my iPad if I'm travelling for a few days and think I'll need to write more than a paragraph or so. When my internet went out at home for a few days, it was also nice to be able to use the iPad, keyboard, and 3G until things were back up and running.

On the other hand, if I carry the keyboard with me all the time, I lose a lot of the advantages of the tablet because it becomes (combined) bulkier and heavier. My iPad weighs 1.3 lbs and is about as thick as a pencil; I can basically carry in any bag and not think about it. But a transformer with docking station weighs 3 lbs (more than my netbook) and is also about twice as thick as a tablet alone. So if I carry it, I don't save any weight over a netbook, and there is more thickness, too. Of course, you can separate it and just carry the tablet (although you'll need an additional case)...but, except in special use situations, I would hate to spend $150 for a docking case that I mostly leave at home.

Zagg has had a keyboard case for the iPad since it came out (it's a BT keyboard seems to work well, although it doesn't offer as much functionality as the transformer's (it's about $50 cheaper, which is still $99). It's been somewhat successful, I think, but I've never seen one in the wild. So I'm not sure what the market is for, basically, separable tablets.

Of course, I might have this backwards. It's quite possible that the keyboard functionality encourages people to buy the Asus (w/o) the keyboard because they are not sure if they want a tablet or not, but can be assured that they can always buy the keyboard dock later in case they are not happy with the pure tablet. That - as I think about it - makes a lot of sense.
I had a friend tell me exactly that. He just keeps the keyboard in his big bag until he needs it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:27 PM   #45
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Here's what a friend said after buying an iPad and official BT keyboard to check the apps he writes for a living: "It's like having to use a laptop that's broken in half."

Edit for SeaKing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
I knew a fellow, had a water cooled Dell desktop tower for games. Didn't know such a thing was possible. He swore it though.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 11-13-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote