Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #31
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Probably as a result of no longer keeping incorrect paths. Before, it would recalc the metadata once, correcting the paths in the process. Now it won't do the recalc.
So the path separator issue was the cause of all the metadata issues in the cache?

Quote:
Will look for it.
I'm seeing it repeatedly (at least 4 times so far), but I can't force it to happen. I'm not sure what triggers it.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #32
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
I'm seeing it repeatedly (at least 4 times so far), but I can't force it to happen. I'm not sure what triggers it.
It's up to 6 or 7 times. BTW, this is completely new. I'm pretty sure I would have seen it before and I didn't, so it's probably in the newest code. Once partially disconnected, there's no option to fully disconnect, only to connect to a folder, which is what I do, then I can either continue (it seems OK, but I worry about having connected twice) or disconnect. Usually I disconnect and then reconnect.

I haven't tried this to the SD card on the USB reader. That's up next.
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #33
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
So the path separator issue was the cause of all the metadata issues in the cache?
That, and also preventing world peace and being a prime contributor to global warming.
Quote:
Looking at the code, it appears that if USB devices come and go, the device manager might make a query that the folder device isn't prepared to deal with.

Any chance that you are connecting/removing things?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:56 PM   #34
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Any chance that you are connecting/removing things?
No. However .... First, this is happening on the local drive connections, but so far, not on the USB/SD card.
Second, even though I'm not disconnecting any USB devices, I am running on a machine that has a mouse on a 15' USB connection. It could have an intermittent issue (it does if I connect the USB hub at the end of that 15' USB cable). However, the mouse doesn't drop out, and the problem isn't appearing (knock on wood) on the USB/SD connection.

I've still got your old source. I think I may be very slightly behind you now, and I still have the first set of source from you. Shall I continue on checking the USB/SD or would it help to see if this really is something new, by going back to the older code to see if I have the same issue with it?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have committed a change (rev 5246) that forces the USB vendor ID of the folder device to what as far as I can determine are invalid values (0xffff). There are some pathways through the code that might (only 'might') cause partial disconnects if recognized devices appear while another device is connected. In addition, I have guarded the path normalization not to attempt normalization of None, not that I think this has happend.

The difficulty here is that for the menus to change, the DeviceManager *must* have signaled that the folder device has disconnected. I can find no reason for it to do that.
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:59 PM   #36
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I've still got your old source. I think I may be very slightly behind you now, and I still have the first set of source from you. Shall I continue on checking the USB/SD or would it help to see if this really is something new, by going back to the older code to see if I have the same issue with it?
By your description, this isn't a problem that occurs once per week, so I don't see any reason to chase rainbows with old code.

If it stops happening with the new code (by that I mean it doesn't happen once per hour, which is what appears to be the case now), then we can go forward.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM   #37
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
If it stops happening with the new code (by that I mean it doesn't happen once per hour, which is what appears to be the case now), then we can go forward.
I'll try the new code. The HD disconnect wouldn't go 10 minutes, and usually not 5. Just to make sure we're on the same wavelength, by "HD" I mean browsing to a folder on the local internal hard drive - and the one I've been using is on the raid, near the Calibre main library. The SD/USB has been solid for nearly an hour, with no drops.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:17 PM   #38
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Another possibility: if *somehow* calibre's eject action is being triggered (how, I don't know), and if *somehow* the device refuses to eject and raises an exception, then it is possible for the device to remain partially connected.

I have eliminated this possibility in revision 5247. The folder device treats all ejects as disconnects, but does not in fact eject the device. This should remove the above possibility.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #39
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I have eliminated this possibility in revision 5247
I'm not sure if I'm on 5247 or 5246, but so far, so good - 10 minutes w/o a disconnect.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #40
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

If you are using bzr from the command line, you can find out by cd'ing to the calibre directory containing src and running bzr log -l 3

The bzr GUI is very helpful in these situations.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #41
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
The bzr GUI is very helpful in these situations.
I've been meaning to try the bzr GUI. I was on 5246. It worked great for 16 minutes and I decided to merge in 5247 - I'm testing that now.
It's been good for 11 minutes, too. I'm out of bugs. It's been fun. If I find any more you'll be the first to know. All bugs, annoyances, etc. discussed in this thread seem to have been smashed. Good job!

Last edited by Starson17; 05-16-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #42
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Still need to add the confirmation dialog
Old 05-16-2010, 05:07 PM   #43
Starson17
Wizard

We're up to half an hour: it still looks good. There are no signs of any problems.

For completeness: I forgot that the absence of a delete warning for Device ebook deletes was discussed in this thread. That's unchanged. Other than that possible issue, I've got no more comments.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:17 PM   #44
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
We're up to half an hour: it still looks good. There are no signs of any problems.

Quote:
For completeness: I forgot that the absence of a delete warning for Device ebook deletes was discussed in this thread. That's unchanged. Other than that possible issue, I've got no more comments.
Committed in revision 5248.

Service is our middle name! We aim to please! No job too large or too small! Reasonable billing rates! No VAT for 1 week, so hurry with the orders! Send all payments to Mr Jones, Custodian for Dormant Accounts, Bank of Nigeria!
Old 05-16-2010, 05:26 PM   #45
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Committed in revision 5248.
Service is our middle name! We aim to please! No job too large or too small! Reasonable billing rates! No VAT for 1 week, so hurry with the orders! Send all payments to Mr Jones, Custodian for Dormant Accounts, Bank of Nigeria!
Wrap it and bag it and stuff it in a sack.
Send it off to Kovid before he comes back!