Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #1
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
Do you own an EBW1150 + other devices and why?

Anyone else own & use multiple devices? What do you use the different ones for? I'm interested in hearing this because I do, but I always feel like maybe I should try to simplify and go back to just one. Here's what I've got currently:

1. REB 1100: we own 2 of these. They are great for kids reading classic lit, they are durable and the font is nice and big for my younger readers. Don't feel too indulgent owning these because I got them for a song, and the kids use them.

2. EBW 1150: This one is mine. I love the backlight and the touchscreen and the way the bookshelf looks...very easy to browse and see what I have, keep it organized into categories, etc.

3. Sony PRS 505: I use this one, too. I love this thing. I'd go to using it alone **but** the navigation is just not as nice as the EBW or the REB1100, especially on books with a lot of links, like a Bible. I can work around the lighting issue. The screen is lovely. But I just don't find the navigation very smooth.

What do the rest of you do?

~Andrea
Sterling, OH
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I have a PRS-505 and I bought my son a EBW-1150. I bought it because of the price, the durability and ergonomics, plus the dictionary support. If he drops it or drops something on it I won't feel as bad as I would have for a 505. As for using two myself, if I could afford one I'd probably look at the DR1000 for manuals and keep my 505 for novels...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

I'm still pretty new at the ebook thing. What's a DR1000?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
The iRex Digital Reader, it's a 10.2" eInk device. There is a subforum for it here if you haven't seen it yet.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i've got an eb1150 and a sony 700. i chose the 700 over the 505 because the touchscreen allows for better ergonomy and allows for a lot of the features i love on the eb1150 (easier navigation, search function, notes...). the eb1150 was my first device and i still love it, but it's so heavy i never wanted to carry it around with me and only used it at home, plus i don't actually love the backlit screen, and i wanted epub support, better charset support, nicer font etc... the 700 is a very nice device, but since the screen isn't as good as a 505 it's not my perfect device yet and i'll upgrade one of these days.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #6
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
I got started with the REB1100, but there weren't a lot of choices for purchased content when I acquired my first one (Gemstar was in the process of closing up their ebook division/store).

I tried some 320x320 Sony PDA's (B&W/Colour) and as well as the 320x480 Sony Clie TH55. The screen was too tiny to read comfortably, but it allowed secured ereader or Mobipocket ebooks to be read.

I fell in love with the REB1200 (my current reading device) due to its larger and coloured touchscreen. It's a bit too heavy to hold when reading for extended periods of time, but I've learnt how to prop it up so that isn't too much of a concern anymore. It can handle massive .imp ebooks (20-30MB in size with thousand of hyperlinks/images) and is used mainly for reference material reading. It's also nice to read novels with embedded images since it offers a lot of screen real estate (480x640).

I then bought the EBW1150 when www.ebookwise.com started offering purchased content for the EBW1150 (and REB1200 later through their firmware migration offer). The things I loved about the REB110 weren't there with the EBW1150 (extended font/size selection, landscape orientation, crisp B&W screen) but I did like the interface and having images display in 16 shades of gray.

And that's where my journey ends, as I do not really need the longer battery life/lighter weight of eink devices, nor the wider selection of mainstream ebooks they support. I'm happy to "roll-my-own" ebooks and/or convert/acquire them from public domain offerings (like available here!).

I ended up buying another REB1100 so that my two kids could BOTH read my vast selection of classic ebooks I'd acquired. My wife likes reading mainstream books on the EBW1150 (it's hers now) and I'm, ..., I'm, ..., well, the ‹The REB1200 Guy›!

Last edited by nrapallo; 02-24-2009 at 02:30 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:59 PM   #7
stoogeswoman
Zealot
stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.stoogeswoman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: eBookwise 1150 and Kindle 1
I've owned an eBookwise 1150 for the tremendously long time of @ 2 weeks. It's totally converted me to ebook reading,and I just scored a Kindle 1.0 from Amazon for $200, delivery of which I'm breathlessly awaiting!

So the answers to your thread title ?'s are: yes; and because I wannit ;-)
stoogeswoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Oh, I almost forgot, for the newcomers, please make sure you read (and vote for) this poll, conducted last year: In addition to your eBookwise 1150, how many also own different ebook readers?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i've got an eb1150 and a sony 700. i chose the 700 over the 505 because the touchscreen allows for better ergonomy and allows for a lot of the features i love on the eb1150 (easier navigation, search function, notes...).
Zelda, that is exactly what I am thinking. I have a Sony 505 and I love the screen but the navigation seems so clunky after the eb1150 touchscreen!!. I saw the 505 & 700 side by side today at Borders, and the difference is noticeable, but I'm not sure the 700 is worse than the eb1150...I still think it is better. So...saving for one of those, I guess.

I loved my REB1200, too, but sold it to pay for the Sony 505.

Nick, I was interested to hear you mention the nicer screen on the 1100...I always noticed that with the ones we have, but wondered if it was just me. I definitely think it is nicer a nicer "color." My kids love being able to turn it to landscape, too.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the7gerbers View Post
Zelda, that is exactly what I am thinking. I have a Sony 505 and I love the screen but the navigation seems so clunky after the eb1150 touchscreen!!. I saw the 505 & 700 side by side today at Borders, and the difference is noticeable, but I'm not sure the 700 is worse than the eb1150...I still think it is better. So...saving for one of those, I guess.

I loved my REB1200, too, but sold it to pay for the Sony 505.

Nick, I was interested to hear you mention the nicer screen on the 1100...I always noticed that with the ones we have, but wondered if it was just me. I definitely think it is nicer a nicer "color." My kids love being able to turn it to landscape, too.
well, i love my 700, and i'm glad i have it, but it's not perfect either. a LOT of new devices are going to be coming on the market really soon and maybe one of them will find the right balance. but i will say, as a previous REB1200 user, you would probably really like the 700 ; it comes a lot closer to the comfort of use of those devices than any other e-ink device so far. the user interface is *really* well thought out, and the ergonomy is great. still, you might want to wait at least until after the ceBit show (early march, so you won't have to wait too long).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
I purchased an EB1150 to see if I liked to read on an ebook device. Like others, I love the ergonomics, but for me it's too heavy. The backlight doesn't bother me. A few months later I got my Bookeen Cybook Gen 3, which is what I use more often. Lightweight, easy to carry about, love the e-ink, but no touch screen, small page turn button, and no folder support. I wish I could combine the best features of both.
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
Wordcrasher
Addict
Wordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheeseWordcrasher can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire 2015, Kindle Paperwhite
I decided to buy the EB1150 to try this eBook thing without spending too much. The intention was to possibly upgrade to a better device later.
Now I'm so happy with it, that even if I'm now converted to eBooks, I'm not considering other devices anymore. So until the market will offer an eInk device (with night-light and touchscreen) for 100-150$ I'll stay with my EB1150.
Wordcrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I loved (emotional attachment) my EBW1150 and never went anywhere without it. We happily read many many books together. It saw me through a really bad year.

When I could no longer read on it and needed to move to e-ink, I gave it to my best friend/co-worker/cubicle mate who is also a voracious reader. We no longer chat through lunch, but instead eat with our noses in an ebook.

However, I loved my EBW1150 much much more than my Sony 505. It was an emotional attachment. I just can't seem to get chummy with a silver metallic device in a black cover, after being so happy with my warm, soft, turd-brown EBW1150.

I almost cry thinking about how much I miss it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #14
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
only an eb1150

My eb1150 was my first ereader, and currently my only one.

I hope to upgrade someday, when e-ink screens are cheaper! Or I find a e-ink machine that I think I can't live without.

I am very happy with my little eb1150, its not the newest or flashiest ereader out there, but it works just fine.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #15
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Do you own an EBW1150 + other devices and why?
Evolution of gadget lust.

I started with a PDA, decided I needed more real estate on the screen, got the eb-1150 (loved it!), but then saw the new eink technology, and got a Sony 500 (broke it), replaced it with a Sony 505 (love it!... not broken yet). But then I read about the Kindle, thought it had some advantageous features (it does).. and some non advantageous features (it does).

Now I keep the eb-1150 as an old friend, and to test any .imp file uploads I want to post on MobileRead.

I use both the Sony 505 and the Kindle today. I use the wi-fi features of the kindle when I am forced to be away from a computer, and I get blogs and magazines downloaded to it, but for most reading now I use the Sony 505 because I like the Light Wedge I bought for it.

I still think about upgrading to a Sony 700 of the K2, but at this point it would just not be prudent financially. I am going to sit this generation out and see what happens to the next batch of ereaders.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote