Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2008, 09:42 PM   #16
pox67
Connoisseur
pox67 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (stolen), Bebook
I realised I have never activated my reader on the Sony site as I am in Australia.

Happily my credit card covers purchases for 3 months and my 505 was only 2 months old. I will put in a claim but will not think about it in case I jinx it...

The serial number of my 505 was on a sticker of the box (I always keep boxes in case I want to sell something) and also written down on the BH Photo receipt.
pox67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Good on ya mate! Be sure and let us know if it ever turns up. I'm sure you'd get some interesting suggestions from the Forum members as to a suitable punishment.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #18
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Good luck with the credit card co. I hope that they pay up so that you can replace it.

It really sucks that some people feel they they can take what they want from other people. I have a blue 505 and take it pretty much everywhere so I will certainly be more careful now.

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #19
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
Ouch. Sorry for your loss, matey. If mine got stolen, I'd be really really angry.

I'll certainly keep a closer hold on mine now - though my Sony is now over 9 months old and looks battered and worthless.

I think I'd be visiting the local pawn shops for a few weeks in case it turns up.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:39 AM   #20
pox67
Connoisseur

Yes, be very careful of them.
I was surprised how attached I had become to it and how often I still reach for the ereader And that is after only 2 months! I find it harder to go without than an MP3 player but I suspect that depends on how you are wired.

Now that I have read eink I can't go back to regular books and refuse to buy a book until I get a new ereader. That leaves me reading a fitness book that I have been meaning to read for years, ahhhh save me!
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #21
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm the same way. A friend wanted to borrow my Sony and another friend's Kindle for the night to compare them. I lent it but was very nervous till I got it back. Fortunately I have a few good books on my iPhone so I had something to read
Old 10-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #22
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Serial number is adequate for that. But, you need to record it. Does everyone have all their tech s/ns written in a file somewhere and stored off site?

I know I don't. This gives me motivation to do it.

BOb

PS: GO Rays!
I do that now that I am using Evernote on my Mac. I just use the iSight camera and snap off a photo of the serial number for every new gadget I buy. Super easy and it's sync on all my machines and on the web.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #23
Bokkie
Enthusiast
Bokkie began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I think Serial number is adequate for that. But, you need to record it. Does everyone have all their tech s/ns written in a file somewhere and stored off site?
I do. I maintain a spreadsheet of every electronic device we own and the serial numbers are in there and kept locked in my desk at work. Ditto for our bike frame numbers and my power tools. We had a visit from our neighbourhood watch unit and they gave us UV pens to mark high-risk goods. All you need is your house number and post-code written on the device. Not 100% perfect but it might just make a fence reluctant to sell something on, but do they care?

As for home insurance, some policies have a risk clause where you can take certain items with you away from home (cameras, etc) and have them covered, subject to an excess which is quite normal and acceptable. I have an insulin pump valued at £2200 which I wear 24/7. I told my insurance company and it only added £2 per month to our home contents premiums. Not relevant perhaps to the loss of the 505 but something to consider when insuring or logging those all-important serial numbers and marking the device.
Bokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #24
pox67
Connoisseur

Happy news, credit card insurance works!

I was refunded the cost of the Sony PRS-505.
I won't be replacing it straight away though as the Australian dollar is way to low for that. Currently around 65c to the USD and I got my PRS-505 when our dollar was 98c to the USD.

With the current readers out there at the moment I would probably go for the 505 again as nothing else seems much better. I have heard about the 700's bad screen and will stay away even though touchscreens are cool.
Old 11-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #25
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

You're stronger than me. I'd have bought one on the spot just to avoid not having one at hand.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #26
pox67
Connoisseur

Hey I am normally that impulsive as well and I have not read a book since. (To be fair I am working through a giant stack fo New Scientist magazines dad had that I wanted to read).
But the initial price was around $360 Australian and that has gone to $540 for the PRS 505 because of the fall of the Australian dollar.

If I want a reader now I'll have to defect and get a Bebook as I can get one delivered for $460. Doesn't look like a bad device and I REALLY want to read the rest of the book I had started
Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #27
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by pox67 View Post
I REALLY want to read the rest of the book I had started
I hope that you can, but I don't believe that the Bebook will read LRF. It certainly can't read LRX.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #28
pox67
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I hope that you can, but I don't believe that the Bebook will read LRF. It certainly can't read LRX.
No it won't read the LRF files but on the excellent advice of this forum I had purchased all my ebooks in .LIT and converted them for use with the Sony.
Boy am I glad I did that!
I think the Bebook can actually read the cracked .LITs as well.
Old 11-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #29
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
That was very prudent of you.
(I do the same.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote