Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Kindle 1 Hacking question

I was trying to hack the K1 so that it can handle unicode characters. Taking cue from similar successful hacks on K2, I was trying to modify /usr/java/lib/font.properties and a custom font, using the custom upgrade bin, to achieve that. However, as igor pointed out, /usr is not writable on K1. Here are the mount and df results:
Code:
devfs on /dev type devfs (rw)
/dev/bml0/6 on / type squashfs (ro)
/dev/stl0/8 on /opt type ext3 (rw,sync,noatime,nodiratime)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/bml0/7 on /mnt/dc type squashfs (ro)
/dev/stl0/9 on /mnt/us type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022)
/dev/mmc/blk0/part1 on /mnt/mmc type vfat (rw,sync,dirsync,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022)

Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/bml0/6              11200     11200         0 100% /
/dev/stl0/8              19766     12417      6329  66% /opt
/dev/bml0/7              15104     15104         0 100% /mnt/dc
/dev/stl0/9             186950     12986    173964   7% /mnt/us
/dev/mmc/blk0/part1    3971584       288   3971296   0% /mnt/mmc
So what shall I do now? many thanks for any of your input!!
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:30 PM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
So remount it rw?
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I frankly am not very familiar with Linux, let alone embeded linux. Also I didn't have shell access to K1, which unlike K2, doesn't have the USBnetwork utility. So I am very cautious now, especially seeing there are several busted k2's.

Note that / was mounted as SquashFS, which is a ro FS for embeded system. Can I mount it as rw?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
SquashFS is read-only. /opt is writable and I think it's symlinked somewhere from the root, but I think that symlink doesn't include Java stuff.
What might work is overwriting the fonts directory with a symlink pointing to somewhere in /opt or the USB storage.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Oh, sorry, I don't understand how you're able to access such commands and "hack the K1" without shell access like igorsk did.

You'd mount a new union filesystem over the SquashFS one so you could modify files in that filesystem. But igorsk has a different suggestion.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
lovebeta
Groupie

I found that "/" is mounted as ext2 in the recovery mode. it was much smaller and definitely didn't contain the same files as normal root filesystem. Is it only the small bootstrap recovery system? Will it be simpler if I try to mount and modify the /dev/bml0/6 in this mode?
Code:
/dev/root.old on / type ext2 (rw)
none on /dev type devfs (rw)
/proc on /proc type proc (rw,nodiratime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
/dev/stl0/9 on /mnt/us type vfat (rw,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022)
/dev/mmc/blk0/part1 on /mnt/mmc type vfat (rw,sync,dirsync,noatime,nodiratime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022)
Code:
Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root.old             2011      1604       407  80% /
/dev/stl0/9             186950     97716     89234  52% /mnt/us
/dev/mmc/blk0/part1    3971584       448   3971136   0% /mnt/mmc
Or, if I still want to do things in the regular mode as / was mounted as ro SquashFS, how can I create a symlink in /usr/java/lib? I guess I still have to remounted somehow as sirbruce suggested?

To sirbruce: you can use igor's update generator to wrap any shell script as an "update". So you can run any shell script this way but it is not interactive and very dangerous, at least until we can get a full recovery rom from Amazon.

Last edited by lovebeta; 03-31-2009 at 10:52 AM.