Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

View Poll Results: If you have (or are planning to get) an Arc, where do you live?
Canada 21 52.50%
U.S. 7 17.50%
UK 4 10.00%
France 1 2.50%
elsewhere in Europe 2 5.00%
Australia 2 5.00%
New Zealand 1 2.50%
Japan 0 0%
elsewhere in the world 2 5.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-20-2012, 12:55 AM   #1
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo
If you have (or want) an Arc, where do you live?

It's been suggested Rakuten bought Kobo in part because they wanted to release a tablet with a global reach, and needed a global platform to build that on top of. How successful has that strategy been?

The Kobo Arc overall offers pretty similar value to other $199-299 7" tablets such as the Kindle Fire HD, the Nook tablets, the Blackberry Playbook, and the Nexus 7. Some have slightly more horsepower than others, some have slightly more storage than others, some have better speakers, etc., but overall they're pretty similar in the final value proposition. (For the record, the Arc's advantages over the competition are front-facing stereo speakers with plenty of adjustment options, plus more storage per dollar than most competitors.)

So how successful have Kobo and Rakuten been? If you have purchased an Arc, or are planning to, what part of the world do you live in?
scrapking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
scrapking
Evangelist
scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scrapking ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Silly question, how do you add the "Arc" tag to the thread?! I'm sure it's obvious, but I managed to miss it even so. And can I add it after the fact?
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #3
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
WOOHOO HOO statistically 50% of prospective purchases are in Australia lol.

I don't think we will get them here until after the new year
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapking View Post
Silly question, how do you add the "Arc" tag to the thread?! I'm sure it's obvious, but I managed to miss it even so. And can I add it after the fact?
Not a silly question at all.

The prefix "Arc" is added when you choose it as a prefix when the thread is created. I don't believe you can add a prefix once the thread has gone on forum.

Once the thread has gone on forum, only a moderator can change the title of a thread and add a prefix. Just report your thread and send a request to the moderators to have a prefix added or to have the title changed.

I have added "Arc" for you.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #5
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Got mine from my wife this weekend in Nova Scotia.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Got mine on Friday in Ontario
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBird View Post
Got mine from my wife this weekend in Nova Scotia.
Hmm. For a province with barely a million people, we seem to have a rather large representation on MobileRead. :P
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #8
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Hmm. For a province with barely a million people, we seem to have a rather large representation on MobileRead. :P
I've noticed that too. Maybe we're just a really vocal bunch. Although techinically I'm not a Nova Scotian, I just married one (I'm originally from Newfoundland).
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I have added "Arc" for you.
Thanks so much!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I want one here in the US but not available anywhere. I voted too.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
scrapking
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I want one here in the US but not available anywhere. I voted too.
The front-facing speakers alone are fantastic on the Arc; better sound than either my iPad 2 or my Microsoft Surface. I'm not sure why so few tablets do that. You experience the tablet from the front, not from the sides or the back, right?

Some of the ABA bookstores have indicated they'll be carrying the Arc, so hopefully before too long you'll get your chance. I'm surprised that we haven't seen the Japanese launch yet, too, as Rakuten bought Kobo in part as a platform to launch a tablet into the Japanese market on top of. They're definitely going to want to get that done, so I'd expect more launches for the Arc in the very near future.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #12
scrapking
Evangelist

Wow, results so far are suggesting pretty strongly that (at least on the tablet side, and at least among Mobileread members) that Canada's going to be a big market for the Arc.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:45 AM   #13
Gernella
Gernella began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600/Kobo Arc7
Finally been told mine from W H Smith is on its way. I can't wait to get hold of it. Doesn't technology cheapen over the years, cost less than my Sony PR600, which still runs like a dream and (to me) is a great piece of kit. I resisted the Amazonian brain washing because I didn't want to be stitched up like I had before moons ago when they pulled the plug. I want freedom of movement for my books.
Gernella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
No point in responding to poll about a tablet I can not buy in USA this year. I will buy something.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #15
GinRummy
GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GinRummy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Arc
Bought mine exactly one week ago in Sherwood Park, Alberta. VERY happy with the decision to get it. Admittedly it is my first tablet/e-reader not counting my iphone, but the price and memory comparison along with not being restricted to one format(cough,Amazon,Cough) were huge selling points.

Thanks again to Cdesja5 and her calm, articulate posts in response to others of a different nature that were truly helpful in making my decision to buy the Arc. They can be found in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=193026
GinRummy is offline   Reply With Quote