Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2008, 08:38 AM   #1
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Upgrading to the 505

I have searched the forums but I couldn't find anyone asking this same question.

I am considering buying a 505 to replace my 500 (which I love, but the screen tends to give me a headache after a short time and I think the improved screen of the 505 will help a lot with that)
My question is this, having gone through a few upgrades on other devices about half of which allowed and half didn't will the e-book purchases I made for the 500 (at the connect store) work on the 505 when I activate/register it and will I have to de-activate the 500 first?

I like to think that they will (much like Apple allows in Itunes) but I have come across other devices (which shall not be named) where the purchases are tied to a specific DEVICE and not a user account.

Anyone who upgraded care to let me know?

Thanks,

-John
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All you have to do is activate the 505 to your account and redownload all the eBooks you previously purchased. They will then be activated to both the 500 & 505. I suggest you delete all the copies of the eBooks from your computer before you redownload so you'll have only the copy that works on both.

Just load them onto the 505 and read away.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
You don't have to redownload; you can copy the books from the old Reader or the library on PC.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I'm also pretty sure (read "dead certain") that you don't have to re-download, just authorize the new unit onto the account -- Sony keys them to the account, not the device.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Ditto. I hooked up my 505 to my pc which was being used for my old 500. After initial registration, all books are available for both devices, including purchased ones. Not a hitch.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
tobiasj
surrounded by books
tobiasj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, PRS-500, PRS-505, Rocket e-book
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Ditto. I hooked up my 505 to my pc which was being used for my old 500. After initial registration, all books are available for both devices, including purchased ones. Not a hitch.
That is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks for the info (everyone) looks like I can order my 505 any time now..

-John
tobiasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:12 AM   #7
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiasj View Post
I am considering buying a 505 to replace my 500 (which I love, but the screen tends to give me a headache after a short time and I think the improved screen of the 505 will help a lot with that)
Not so sure though that the screen of the 505 is that much better than the one on the 500..... or ... ? I have upgraded also but I never had any problems with reading for long times on the 500 ... So in some ways it would be good if you coulld really test it out before buying the 505.

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevs View Post
Not so sure though that the screen of the 505 is that much better than the one on the 500..... or ... ?
I have a CyBook Gen3, which has the same screen as the 505 and, comparing it to the 500 which I had previously, I find personally that there's a tremendous difference in clarity. I can read the newer VizPlex screen of the Gen3 in normal levels of artificial light where I'd have been using a reading light with the 500.

I guess it's down to the individual how significant the difference is.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #9
Zevs
Book lover!!
Zevs doesn't litterZevs doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505; Nowadays Stanza, Kindle, Txtr and Bluefire on iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I have a CyBook Gen3, which has the same screen as the 505 and, comparing it to the 500 which I had previously, I find personally that there's a tremendous difference in clarity. I can read the newer VizPlex screen of the Gen3 in normal levels of artificial light where I'd have been using a reading light with the 500.

I guess it's down to the individual how significant the difference is.
Yes and also likely the age, since probably the screen deteriorate with time. There is a difference between my Readers, but then the 500 has been used very frequently during the year I have had it, so perhaps not fair to compare with a new 505. Would be interesting to see how different a new 500 and a new 505 really are.

Zevs
Zevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 10:54 PM   #10
canicula
Enthusiast
canicula doesn't littercanicula doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, MacBook Air
Just upgraded to a 505

I bought a new PRS-505 today (the Blue model) after playing with it in the San Francisco Sony Style store. The screen is much nicer than my PRS-500 (bought last June). The new form factor with the buttons up the side beside the onscreen numbers is much better as well. So is having page buttons on the left side (the round rocker wheel) and the right side (forward and back buttons).

I've decided to only put books that are on my reading list onto the new device, and not every eBook I've got. Now that the novelty of having 100+ books with me has worn off I don't need to do that anymore. So the 505 should be a lot snappier as the 500 got slow in menu navigation as a loaded on more and more eBooks.

I thought about getting an Iliad but really like the Sony form factor. It's a really well designed device.

Ian
canicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 PM   #11
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Enjoy the 505 Ian, I have one on order
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote