Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #46
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Another indie series I have enjoyed is the Spinward Fringe series by Randolph Lalonde, I think you can get the first book (Origins/Broadcast 0 which was originally 3 novellas) for free.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #47
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
I definitely second turing evolved and vorkosigan saga which definitely last book is to be delivered soonish.
Nevertheless I insist on the remark, that calling both mil-sf only would be a highly insulting limitation.
Kitson offers sociological psychological and moral elements elements worth of being compared with asimov's.
And what The Goddess of the Vor created...
Go and read it. The only thing I regret about it is I didn't read it earlier. There's everything life offers.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #48
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
I'd also tack on to this David Sherman's Starfist series. I've read the first couple and find them pretty good.

Haven't read any of his Starfist: Force Recon series, but I hope they are as good as the main series.

The first ones of those were pretty good.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:19 AM   #49
Anonymouse
Anonymouse began at the beginning.

Device: PC
In continuation of a good thread.....

Good lawdy, if one is looking for good Mil-SF, how can one NOT nominate William C. Dietz and his "Legion of the Damned" series?
The only thing lacking is that there are only 9 books.

In the space navy genre, Roland J. Green did some exciting work with the "Starcruiser Shenandoah" series.
Green teamed up with Jerry Pournelle on 3 "Janissaries" novels as well.

Speaking of the esteemed Engineer & head of the team that actually came up with the "Star Wars" or Space Defense Initiative (SDI) program for the Reagan administration, Pournelle has more than one Mil-SF series out in the wild.
(Falkenberg's Legion was previously mentioned.)
The (3) "CoDominium" & the (5) "War World" books are set in the same universe and Pournelle also created a 10 volume anthology series named "There Will Be War".
How he ever found time to also participate in Larry Niven's shared "Man-Kzin Wars" anthology universe escapes my ability to comprehend such prolific writing.

More 'man vs machines' than Mil-SF, Fred Saberhagan's "Berserker" series is good fun.

David Sherman's slimy little neked lizard ninjas are back for more punishment in the (3) StarF.I.S.T. spinoffs of the "Force Recon" series while other squadrons of StarF.I.S.T. are busy kicking Terrorbird-ass in (2) more spinoffs, in the "Issue In Doubt" sideline.
He's also written something called the "DemonTech" series wherein demons spit down a tube with devastating results on the enemy, - until they get hungry or thirsty and can't spit anymore.
Imagine in the midst of a furious firefight using demon-powered weapons instead of chemical munitions, your handgun pops open and a little head shoots out and says "Feed Me !!!" or "Can't spit no 'mo, go sleep now."
Trust me, there's actually an attempt to make this rational (it's all caused by Imps playing a joke on both sides in the war) & it's hilarious at times.

This post would be incomplete without a 3rd (or is it a 4th by now?), nomination of the works of C.J. Cherryh.
Especially since she's been one of my favorite authors since I first plucked "Gate of Ivrel" off a DAW book spinner at a local Stop&Go convenience store in the mid-70s.
Not only because she is a world class story-teller, but most recently because she's also devotes a portion of each day to interact with her fans through her Facebook homepage, where she drops little tidbits of science that spin up length debates and conversations among her legion of fans following her there.
Very few writers put in THAT kind of effort to connect with their audience.
Not all of her works qualify as Mil-SF,but the Alliance-Union / Company Wars stuff holds enough action for any fans of that sort of material; The (5) Chanur books are by far the best of it, with some of the sneakiest nasty bastich antagonists (the Kif) ever encountered in any decent conflict novel.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote