Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-29-2012, 02:37 AM   #106
peter12345
Connoisseur
peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peter12345 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 * K3 with 3G, Sony PRS-T1
Perhaps this font will work Adobe Caslon Pro, though it is a little conservative, and not as daring as delicious but still palatable, but it's 6 fonts cost $170!

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/stor...kage&code=1712

It seems to have a better history too:

Caslon refers to a number of serif typefaces designed by William Caslon I (1692–1766), and various revivals thereof.

Caslon shares the irregularity characteristic of Dutch Baroque types. It is characterized by short ascenders and descenders, bracketed serifs, moderately-high contrast, robust texture, and moderate modulation of stroke. The A has a concave hollow at the apex, the G is without a spur. Caslon's italics have a rhythmic calligraphic stoke. Characters A, V, and W have an acute slant. The lowercase italic p, q, v, w, and z all have a suggestion of a swash.

Last edited by peter12345; 08-29-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: mistake not 4 fonts but 6
peter12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #107
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
Kindle 4 PC 1.10 doesn't open Baen ebook download

I discovered the new K4pc when I tried to load some Baen purchases.
Discovered my desktop icons led to 'nowhere'.
Downloaded new K4pc.
Now I'm unable to download Baen purchases to my k4pc.
In the past, I've downloaded as a zip file (single or bulk), opened the zip, then opened the ebook titles one at a time, first as Mobi (for mobipocket reader) and then for Amazon (for K4pc).
I can still open ebooks which appear in Mobipocket reader.
Nothing happens when I try to open for K4pc.

I think I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas? I've tried to follow Baen's download directions, with no luck.
Amazon Chat says this is Baen's problem.

I emailed Baen, but imagine they won't be able to reply before Monday.

Thanks for all the terrific support I've received from these Forums.
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #108
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by barb2cats View Post
I discovered the new K4pc when I tried to load some Baen purchases.
Discovered my desktop icons led to 'nowhere'.
Downloaded new K4pc.
Now I'm unable to download Baen purchases to my k4pc.
In the past, I've downloaded as a zip file (single or bulk), opened the zip, then opened the ebook titles one at a time, first as Mobi (for mobipocket reader) and then for Amazon (for K4pc).
I can still open ebooks which appear in Mobipocket reader.
Nothing happens when I try to open for K4pc.

I think I must be doing something wrong.

Any ideas? I've tried to follow Baen's download directions, with no luck.
Amazon Chat says this is Baen's problem.

I emailed Baen, but imagine they won't be able to reply before Monday.

Thanks for all the terrific support I've received from these Forums.
Just put them in the Kindle Content folder and the next time you start K4PC they will be there. No need to add one by one.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #109
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
Thank you! It worked.

This is different from the way I had been sending Baen titles to K4pc.

Previously, the Unzip (open) box gave me the choice of ereaderex(I think) or Kindle --- and the ebook simply 'went' to Mobi or K4pc, whichever I chose for the opening.

Again, thank you very much! Barb
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 AM   #110
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
my k4PC still malfunctions & amazon seem clueless - I actually called them while the faulut( see below) was repdoducible but thay had no idea how to trace it. saidd they';d escalate to developers but never heard back.

my fault is this - I buy a book, I see it download into K4PC then as soon as the blue progress bar is full, the book vanishes from my PC. I can force a resend from web page only to see the vanishing act repeat.
the fix is easy - I unregister from within K4PC, & select delete all local content, then reregister; book then arrives OK.
then the program will work ok for the next few free books before reverting to original fault. I think it happens only with azw3 books but that is unproven.

I cannot figure what in their screwed up code causes this. it is as if the program decides I am not entitled to the book after all & so deletes it
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #111
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
my fault is this - I buy a book, I see it download into K4PC then as soon as the blue progress bar is full, the book vanishes from my PC. I can force a resend from web page only to see the vanishing act repeat.
the fix is easy - I unregister from within K4PC, & select delete all local content, then reregister; book then arrives OK.
then the program will work ok for the next few free books before reverting to original fault. I think it happens only with azw3 books but that is unproven.
Try this.

1. Have K4PC open BEFORE you buy the book. or

2. If you bought the book already open K4PC. After you see the book download and then disappear, close K4PC and then just re-open K4PC. The book should appear.

This happens to me if I don't have K4PC open before I buy a book.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #112
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
Try this.

1. Have K4PC open BEFORE you buy the book. or

2. If you bought the book already open K4PC. After you see the book download and then disappear, close K4PC and then just re-open K4PC. The book should appear.

This happens to me if I don't have K4PC open before I buy a book.

Carol
that is interesting - I asked amazon if anyone else had ever reported a disappearing book problem & they claimed not! Their "solution" is to suggest a full uninstall- reinstall but I've been around that loop a few times in the past already.

I will try your step 2 next time it plays up.

again, it's hard to construct a logical hypothesis as to why what you describe should make a difference .
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #113
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
that is interesting - I asked amazon if anyone else had ever reported a disappearing book problem & they claimed not! Their "solution" is to suggest a full uninstall- reinstall but I've been around that loop a few times in the past already.

I will try your step 2 next time it plays up.

again, it's hard to construct a logical hypothesis as to why what you describe should make a difference .
I've never called Amazon with the problem.

If I have K4PC open before I buy a book, I don't seem to have a problem.

If I buy a book first, I will get the results you stated, where it appears to download then disappear. If I just close K4PC and re-open it, the book shows up.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #114
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
What is even more interesting (to me at least) is this:

1. I buy a book on Amazon and choose my K4PC program in the "Deliver To" box.
K4PC is not running on my PC.
2. I start up K4PC on my PC - and sync it - but no new books appear.
3. BUT - the new books do download into the My Kindle Content folder on my PC - but don't show up in the K4PC program.
4. Closing and then restarting K4PC then results is the books appearing in the K4PC program.

So - when you open K4PC and sync it - the books actually download onto your PC, but it takes a restart of K4PC to find them.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #115
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

3. BUT - the new books do download into the My Kindle Content folder on my PC - but don't show up in the K4PC program.
4. Closing and then restarting K4PC then results is the books appearing in the K4PC program.

So - when you open K4PC and sync it - the books actually download onto your PC, but it takes a restart of K4PC to find them.

Mine has done that for the last few versions on a couple of different PC's.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM   #116
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Mine has done that for the last few versions on a couple of different PC's.
Prior to the enforced upgrade, I was running an extremely old version of K4PC - and never had this happen - until I was forcibly upgraded to the current version.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #117
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:

This is what happens to me too. They actually do download to My Kindle Content folder, just don't show up til a restart.

Carol
Old 09-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #118
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
This is what happens to me too. They actually do download to My Kindle Content folder, just don't show up til a restart.

Carol
Same here.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #119
ElizabethN
reader, ebook junkie
ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElizabethN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: droid, kindle, kobo, eslick, sony
Quote:

almost the same here as well. the downloading books do show up with the downloading indicator bar at the bottom, but vanish once downloaded.

and if I try to download something to K4PC while it's open, the program crashes, every time. I've learned to download new books, close K4PC then re-start it to "see" the new files. files are in the my kindle content folder but K4PC doesn't seem to realize they're present until restarted.
ElizabethN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #120
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Hmmm ... sounds like a bug, er I mean "feature."

My older version of K4PC didn't do that (haven't tried the new "improved" version yet). It seems silly to me that one has to go through an open/restart routine to access new content.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote