Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #91
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
v.10.0 | Update 9 Mar 2014

Updated with 9 new and 25 restored letters from Selected Letters of James Joyce, ed. Richard Ellmann, The Viking Press 1975. (And yes, it does include the dirty letters now.)
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:01 AM   #92
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Thank you so much once again, Pynch.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 AM   #93
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v.11.0 | Update 8 Jun 2014

Added three more early versions of chapters from Finnegans Wake, published in transition N° 5, 8, and 12 in 1927/28. As my library has a complete set of the magazine, expect more to follow.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #94
Spinnenmonat
Guru
Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spinnenmonat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 Kindle Voyage 3G
I am sorry, the new version cannot be opened in my device. Would you be so kind to repair it?
Spinnenmonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 AM   #95
pynch
why in?

v.11.1 | Update 8 Jun 2014

Strange, none of the files exceeded the maximum file size limit of Sony devices. But still, it didn’t work—which is fixed now.
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #96
mehrdadmms
mehrdadmms began at the beginning.

Device: ipad air
Hi,
Is this really the text of the 1922 edition of ulysses ? I mean you have a print copy of this edition and compared the text? I really want to read the first edition of ulysses published 1922 in Paris but i couldn't find it anywhere on the web.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
The publisher asks the reader’s indulgence for typographical errors unavoidable in the exceptional circumstances.” — Sylvia Beach.

As there isn’t—and likely never will be—an authoritative edition of Ulysses, this epub should happily embrace that fact, which is why I added a second version: the text of the 1922 Shakespeare & Company first edition that has all the “original” mistakes. I have paginated both versions according to the first edition, and those page numbers also serve as links between the two which should make comparisons easier.

I was a little surprised not to find an epub of this anywhere, so I used the transcription from wikisource, carefully deleted all the line breaks inside paragraphs, added the copyright notice and the printer’s note not present in the transcription, and tried to adhere to the original formatting as close as possible (meaning there is a third stylesheet in this epub now). Even obvious formatting errors have not been corrected.

To be continued,
pynch.
mehrdadmms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 AM   #97
pynch
why in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrdadmms View Post
Hi,
Is this really the text of the 1922 edition of ulysses ? I mean you have a print copy of this edition and compared the text? I really want to read the first edition of ulysses published 1922 in Paris but i couldn't find it anywhere on the web.
It is indeed the 1922 edition, taken from the Wikisource text that you can find here.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:56 AM   #98
pynch
why in?

v.11.2 | Update 31 Aug 2014

Proofed Chamber Music and Pomes Penyeach against the first editions (Elkin Mathews, London 1907, and Shakespeare & Co., Paris 1927).

Proofed Dubliners against the corrected text of the Viking Press edition, New York 1969, Robert Scholes and A. Walton Litz, eds.

Proofed Stephen Hero against the New Directions edition, Norfolk 1963, edited by Theodore Spencer, incorporating additional manuscript pages edited by John J. Slocum and Herbert Cahoon.

Proofed the Critical Writings against the Cornell University Press edition, Ithaca, New York 1989, Ellsworth Mason and Richard Ellmann, eds., and some additional texts against Poems and Shorter Writings, Faber & Faber, London 1991, and Occasional, Political, and Critical Writing, Oxford University Press, Oxford 2000.

Hundreds of mistakes and variants were corrected and I’m confident that these texts are fairly reliable now. Please let me know if you find any mistakes in them.

To be continued.
Old 10-05-2014, 06:01 AM   #99
pynch
why in?

v.11.3 | Update 5 Oct 2014

I have proofed Ulysses against the Dover Publications facsimile of the first edition, corrected hundreds of mistakes and variants, and restored all the original misprints.

Checking the Wikisource source against the scan unfortunately showed that it wasn’t really the first edition text. It had variants that only appear in later editions and lots of corrected misprints. I’m sorry that you were misled, but I had no reason to doubt their assertion that they offered the first edition text.

The Shakespeare & Co. book was very badly printed. Therefore it was often difficult to make out letters and especially to distinguish between commas and full stops. In the case of difficult letters I have often consulted the Egoist Press edition of 1922, which, according to Richard Ellmann’s biography (Oxford 1982, footnote on p. 505), used the same plates, but as it does have variants, surprisingly, the differences of punctuation are only noted in the html code (if you search for <del> tags), as are deleted end-of-line hyphens I was ambiguous about.

Please let me know if you find any mistakes (= deviations from the original text).

Additionally (or subtractively), I have withdrawn the Barger version from this collection, which will reappear soon in a variorum edition of Ulysses, along with the Shakespeare & Co. edition (1922), the fourth printing of the Odyssey Press edition (1939), the Random House edition (1961), and the Garland edition (1984).

Regards,
pynch.

ETA: You can find the variorum edition of Ulysses here.

Last edited by pynch; 11-15-2014 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #100
democrite
Evangelist
democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.democrite will give the Devil his due.

Device: none
Hello pynch,

Your effort is truly amazing. Thanks!
democrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:09 AM   #101
pynch
why in?

v.11.4 | Update 7 Dec 2014

Proofed Exiles against the 1921 Egoist Press edition, “Giacomo Joyce” and the “Epiphanies” against Poems and Shorter Writings, and A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man against the ‘definitive’ text of the 1964 Viking Press edition.

Hundreds of mistakes and variants were corrected. In the case of the Portrait, variants of the 1976 and 2003 Penguin paperbacks are hidden in the code for dubious cases, and show when you delete “display: none” for the <ins> tag in the stylesheet.

Poems are next.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:40 PM   #102
tranquilo2
tranquilo2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you very much for such great work.
tranquilo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:17 PM   #103
pynch
why in?

You're very welcome.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #104
pynch
why in?

v.11.5 | Update 4 Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
Poems are next.
And here they finally are, proofed against Poems and Shorter Writings, Faber & Faber, London 1991. Hundreds of mistakes and variants were corrected, and the order of that collection restored. The project of correcting Joyce’ texts is hereby finished, so please let me know if you find any mistakes.

l might still add more of the early Wake versions, though.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:27 PM   #105
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
lidiavianu:

Do not post links to other books by Joyce in this thread. This thread is for a specific work assembled by the OP.

Also, you would be wise - extremely wise - to turn on your PMs.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-07-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote