Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #1
Artha
-----
Artha began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung SNE65
New page template?

I was told that the text between <title> and </title> has no use. So I'd rather remove the two tags.

Also, I would like to add by default the link to the stylesheet.

So is there a way to create a template for the new XHTML file?
Artha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Save the code as you want it (use notepad or any simple text editor), then just 'add existing file' each time you want to bring it in - rename as needed. Don't know why you don't want title tags, it's not a problem if they are not used, however if they are used by some reader (I'm pretty sure it is), its somewhat of an odd choice to make. They're part of the standard, so it's not like you're making the file easier to use - the filesize/xml memory usage is really negligible.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
Artha
-----

But how can they be used? That can make a mess. Edit: the title tags I mean.

You are perfectly right with the add existing file. I never thought about it.

Last edited by Artha; 11-22-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artha View Post
But how can they be used?
Titles could be used to name chapters and other divisions. I'm pretty sure I've seen books wherein the reader is aware of which chapter is currently being read. Remember that ToC and similar structures are just a collection of links, they do not have a way to decide if you are in one place or another (once you have followed one), however if there is a title its fair to assume that if the reader is looking at content from one file, the title applies to that section.

Most readers will only use the metadata title, stored in the opf file.

Lastly, I often proof things in my browser - titles make it easier if I've forgotten to name the files nicely
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
But how can they be used? That can make a mess. Edit: the title tags I mean.

You are perfectly right with the add existing file. I never thought about it.
<Title> tags are available to the reader.
Look at the Window Titlebar for these forums for an example. That came from a Title Tag.
That is not to say all or most readers use it

Why are you thinning the code so aggressively? There is Clean code (IMHO Elegant) and there is trashy code (Look at Word generated HTML )
Rule 1: It must work
Rule 2: It should work on a wide range of viewing programs
Rule 3: It should be simple to maintain/update
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 03:22 AM   #6
Artha
-----

theducks: FireFox for quite some time and Chrome for even more have hidden that Window Titlebar. And the trend doesn't seem to change back. With the proliferation of small screen alternatives (I don't see myself carrying a 20" tablet any time soon) there just seems that bar won't come back at all.

My logic is like that: most readers are just underpowered junk attached to make the screen work. And by underpower I mean computing power as the consumption is still high. Meaning any missing tag might save some power to interpret and some ticks or tacs upon showing up on the display. That's the same logic I'm trying to use different tags instead of paragraph classes to stop the device from searching to match the two. I'm not trying to make it unreadable.

So there pops another question: which would bloat worse having each rule spelled up or deriving them from one another?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:33 AM   #7
daubnet
daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPad
IIRC, the title tag is necessary for XHTML to validate. So stripping that from the file would result in an invalid EPUB.
daubnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #8
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
@Artha: How do you know that a reader will use less energy when the title is missing? You can't know that unless you have the code or do some measurements. It could even be that the reader uses more energy with a missing title, for example when it would search the whole file to find it rather than ending the search when it is found. Anyway I guess the difference would be unnoticable.

And my Firefox, which is the latest version, happily shows the title in the window title bar. And I am glad it does.
pietvo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:05 AM   #9
Artha
-----

pietvo: in a way you are right. anything that a particular app seems to consider a must has nothing to do with logic.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
theducks: FireFox for quite some time and Chrome for even more have hidden that Window Titlebar. And the trend doesn't seem to change back. With the proliferation of small screen alternatives (I don't see myself carrying a 20" tablet any time soon) there just seems that bar won't come back at all.
Really? Look at the top of the attachment (FF8.0 on Ubuntu Natty. Similar on XP)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New page template? - MobileRead Forums - Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	242
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	79288  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Folks:

2.2.1 of the OPF Specs:

"The title of the publication. An OPF Package Document must include at least one instance of this element type, however multiple instances are permitted. Any Reading System that displays title metadata should display the content of the most appropriate title element(s). Determination of the most appropriate titles is not defined by this specification, but may include the available fonts, an examination of xml:lang attributes, or other heuristics. In the absence of such an algorithm, conforming Reading Systems should consider either the first title element or all the title elements as the most appropriate."

So, no point in discussing it further, methinks. FWIW, we use it for each individual segment (chapter, frontmatter, titlepage, etc.) in a book, for those readers that DO display it. The idea that it would use less power seems very...well, not sure what it seems, but I fail to see that it would result in any actual power savings.

ETA: One of my Crew suggested that if one is concered about power usage to render that line, you could save a lot more by just typing everything in all lower-case. Or eliminate commas, semi-colons and quotes. His theory is that ee cummings uses less power than, say, Mark Twain. ;-)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 11-24-2011 at 02:17 AM. Reason: ETA: a Little Turkey Day Gobbling....
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote