Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Nook ST screen contrast vs Kindle 3 vs Sony Reader X50

The Nook ST seems intriguing, especially if it the rooting of Android becomes fully mature.

My biggest concern is the screen contrast. Having owned Kindle 3 and am currently using Sony PRS 950, I'm interested in how Nook ST's screen contrast compare against the two, since all of them use Pearl.

I know there are first impression threads but I'm only interested in comparisons of screen contrast between Nook ST and Kindle 3 or Nook ST and Sony X50, especially from people who had owned the other devices and now owned Nook ST, and can speak from personal experience. I'm less interested in speculations from video comparisons -- I looked at them and can't really tell any difference.

Last edited by sonyreaderfan; 06-09-2011 at 12:20 AM.
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:57 PM   #2
requiem3
requiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
I own both the kindle 3 and the new nook. The kindle 3 definitely has better screen contrast, although the nook str is by no means bad.
Speaking of this, in the nook str manual on page 27 it mentions being able to change the brightness of the screen, has anyone seen and/or been able to access this option? Because I don't see it anywhere.
requiem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Amazon still has their own font tech that some people prefer. However, nook has been shown to update theirs over time.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem3 View Post
I own both the kindle 3 and the new nook. The kindle 3 definitely has better screen contrast, although the nook str is by no means bad.
Speaking of this, in the nook str manual on page 27 it mentions being able to change the brightness of the screen, has anyone seen and/or been able to access this option? Because I don't see it anywhere.
from p27, "The Reading Tools menu makes it easy to move through a book, to search for content, share content, adjust the display of text, and adjust the brightness of the screen."

Surely that is a misprint. You cannot adjust the screen brightness on eInks. They probably mean adjust the contrast. It could be a feature that didn't make it into final production.

EDIT: BTW, The word "brightness" appears once in the manual, at this location. The word "contrast" does not appear in the manual.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-09-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
[I]f...They probably mean adjust the contrast. It could be a feature that didn't make it into final production.
I guess they were trying to duplicate what the Sony offers, but couldn't get it done. It also says there's an option to change background color. With the brightness and color tweaks it sounds like reference to the NOOKcolor, but that's not how you access those settings. Strange.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 01:41 AM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I guess they were trying to duplicate what the Sony offers, but couldn't get it done. It also says there's an option to change background color. With the brightness and color tweaks it sounds like reference to the NOOKcolor, but that's not how you access those settings. Strange.
It's likely that they did a wash-off of the NC manual, and somebody missed deleting those extra NC features or misunderstood them during the review cycles.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #7
Zarich
Zealot
Zarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheeseZarich can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
I bought a tent from costco.. instructions kept making reference to thing I didn't have. I finally called the tent company and they admitted... we took an existing manual and just adapted it.. we forgot a few things.
I bet this is what they did with the NT as those are all nook color features.
Zarich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 AM   #8
requiem3
requiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheeserequiem3 can extract oil from cheese

Device: kindle
Yeah I suspected the same thing. Shame, and rather sloppy of them.
requiem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:31 AM   #9
sonyreaderfan
Groupie
sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sonyreaderfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader Prs 950, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem3 View Post
How does the background compare? I read somewhere that Nook ST's background is whiter (or Kindle 3's background is grayer) but that could be because of lighting.

Also by screen contrast, you mean Kindle's fonts are darker? (Against whiter background?)
sonyreaderfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Having worked as a technical writer for 25+ years I definitely agree this looks like a quick adaptation of the NC manual, or portions thereof. Some companies are very oriented toward excellent product documentation, while others seem to place documentation at the bottom of the list of things to do before a release. The last company I worked for, BMC Software, went so far as to outsource most of the Publications division to a company located near the eastern edge of the Alexandrian conquests, where English is a second language, and then they wondered why customers complained that their manuals sucked.

At any rate it is sloppy, especially the "background color" part.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #11
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I've got both K3 and Touch side-by-side, and the screens are identical. I think you guys are just picking up minor unit-to-unit variations.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
I can't see how there even CAN be real difference, apart from unit-to-unit varations as EldRick says. The screens are all from the same manufacturer using the same technology. Except for cases like the old Sony Touch models where they laid a resistive touch layer over the top and that caused some blurring, there should be no differences.

There COULD be readability issues if fonts were displayed with thicker strokes or something, making it appear that there was more contrast.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by jridley View Post
There COULD be readability issues if fonts were displayed with thicker strokes or something, making it appear that there was more contrast.

Definately. The third font option from the top (don't remember what it's called), is certainly a bolder/thicker font, thereby making it easier on MY eyes, than the Caecilia (the first one), or the second one (don't know what that one is called either). The bottom three fonts are all Sans fonts, which I don't even bother with.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #14
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Definately. The third font option from the top (don't remember what it's called), is certainly a bolder/thicker font, thereby making it easier on MY eyes, than the Caecilia (the first one), or the second one (don't know what that one is called either). The bottom three fonts are all Sans fonts, which I don't even bother with.
The third one on the list is Amasis, and I agree it is the boldest.
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
yeah sounds like they inadvertantly used portions of the nook color manual.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote