Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-30-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I seem to have killed Mobi2Mobi gui

I had been using the windows GUI version of mobi2mobi quite happily for several weeks, but a few days ago had a rush of blood to the brain and tried to reorganise my ebooks library. As part of that process. I set the ebooks directory window to another directory. I could only use mobi2mobi a couple of times, but mobi2mobi started to freeze as soon as I selected an ebook to work on.

I eventually erased all the mobi2mobi files and reinstalled them, but am having the same problem; as soon as I select a book the program freezes. The screen shows the original Mobi2Mobi GUI exe program overlying the window for selecting a file. Windows Task Manager shows that the program is not responding.

What can I do to get mobi2mobi Windows GUI back? I rely on it a lot.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Jad
Groupie
Jad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-booksJad has learned how to read e-books

Device: Cybook Gen3
Hi Alex,

In the early days the GUI has some issues with drive letters and funky directory names but they should all have been squashed. Are you using v0.13 and the Perl version of Mobi2Mobi or the Win32 binary version?

The GUI frontend is basically a glorified batch file builder so changing paths really shouldn't impact on its functionality. As the GUI relies on the .NET Framework the problem may be there somewhere. Have you done a Windows update recently?

A quick test to see what component is causing the problem is try the mobi2mobi file directly from the CMD prompt and see if you can process your book. If that works then the problem is with the GUI somewhere. Try creating a basic test directory in the root of C: a put a book file in there along with a copy of the mobi2mobi.exe or pl file. Point your GUI there and see if the problem occurs again. This will help eliminate any potential directory / drive problems.

Sorry for being a bit vague, but this is a bit of a weird problem. Let us know what you find.

Jad
Jad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Jad
To answer your questions and suggestions in turn:

- I'm using version 9.13 and the Win32 binary gui

- I don't think I've done an update recently; though there may have been some automatic updates that I don't know about. I did notice after my post that Windows XP was getting slow and jerky and when I tried to reboot there was an error message that cmd.exe was not responding. I've cleaned up the registry with Uniblue registry cleaner and it has happened again.

- I'm afraid I don't know the syntax for using the mobi2mobi from the cmd prompt. Could you point me to instructions for this please?

Regards, Alex
Old 08-31-2008, 01:51 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Thanks, Jad
To answer your questions and suggestions in turn:

- I'm using version 9.13 and the Win32 binary gui

- I don't think I've done an update recently; though there may have been some automatic updates that I don't know about. I did notice after my post that Windows XP was getting slow and jerky and when I tried to reboot there was an error message that cmd.exe was not responding. I've cleaned up the registry with Uniblue registry cleaner and it has happened again.

- I'm afraid I don't know the syntax for using the mobi2mobi from the cmd prompt. Could you point me to instructions for this please?

Regards, Alex
The procedure for using Mobi2Mobi from the command prompt is as follows:
Open the DOS command prompt window.
Change to the directory where your book is located. I.e. cd desktop\ebooks (or whatever other folder where you have stored the book) cd is the DOS command for change directory.
The syntax for Mobi2mobi is:
Mobi2Mobi "name of book" --outfile "new or same name for book"
--author "optional" --title "optional" I believe that Tommy recommends that you rename the book, but I usually don't.

I have the Mobi2mobi.exe file in my book directory, so I don't have to worry about adding the path to my system.

Should work like a charm. I use it all the time since I never could be the GUI version to work.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:48 PM   #5
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
The syntax for Mobi2mobi is:
Mobi2Mobi "name of book" --outfile "new or same name for book"
--author "optional" --title "optional" I believe that Tommy recommends that you rename the book, but I usually don't.
You trust the program more then I do Yes, it normally works using the same name but if something goes wrong you might loose the book or if the conversion is buggy the book might not be readable after the conversion.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
stark23x
stark23x is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
I have two computers: One I let update from Microsoft automatically, one I ONLY update manually with specific security updates. The auto-updating one can no longer use Mobi2mobi GUI using Win32. Just like the others have said, it opens, you ask it to open a file and it hangs forever, eventually using 99% cpu while it just sits doing nothing.

Meanwhile on the other machine it still works great. Something Microsoft kicked out in the last round of updates broke this thing and it makes me so, so sad!
stark23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard

Many thanks to all who responded. For reasons entirely unknown the mobi2mobi windows gui has come back to life. It may possibly have been the registry clean up I did, or maybe Bill Gates is sitting there sniggering at me.

Anyway, I'll keep the directions for using the cmd line version safe.

Regards, Alex
Old 09-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
stark23x
stark23x is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Hey that worked! I did a registry cleanup (using the tool inside Advanced Uninstaller Pro, but I think any registry cleaner does about the same things) and it started working again!

I suspect that one of Microsoft's updates left some sort of errant registry entry regarding .Net's most recent updates. Doing a cleanup probably either removes or repairs it. Thanks for pointing me that way, Alex! I really needed this to be working on my laptop and now it is.
stark23x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
AlexBell
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by stark23x View Post
Hey that worked! I did a registry cleanup (using the tool inside Advanced Uninstaller Pro, but I think any registry cleaner does about the same things) and it started working again!

I suspect that one of Microsoft's updates left some sort of errant registry entry regarding .Net's most recent updates. Doing a cleanup probably either removes or repairs it. Thanks for pointing me that way, Alex! I really needed this to be working on my laptop and now it is.
Glad to be of help; so many people have helped me it's a pleasure to help someone else.

Regards, Alex