Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
PRS-350 dead but revives instantly with USB--battery?

Didn't see this specific problem so I'm looking for suggestions of a possible cause. My 350 is becoming unresponsive daily when I try to start it up--power switch does nothing, once or twice a day. As soon as I connect it to a charger or computer by USB, it starts up and loads as if it were fully shut down. (Orange light blinks a couple of times, then the red comes on.) The battery indicator is full both before I turn it off (sleep) and when it recovers via USB.

I've left it connected to a wall charger overnight as well, same problem the next day. Only added book recently was a library-borrowed ePub, which I finished and deleted; same 'dead 350' problem still occurs.

It seems like it might be a charging problem or dead battery that isn't holding a charge, but the battery level also indicates full and I have charged it for long periods to no avail.

I'm using PRS+ firmware; had a russified firmware earlier. (Forget which one exactly.) No problems until about a week ago; now when I try to turn it on it's a crapshoot whether it will behave normally or be unresponsive.

Would a factory reset help? ANy other thoughts or things to check? (I've had Sony Readers for about 4 years now and I think I'm familiar with most of the general issues, but this problem is puzzling/frustrating me!) Thx!!!

Last edited by DrMoze; 09-16-2011 at 01:43 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Anybody?

Some additional info, which makes me think it's not simply battery drain. My 350 was working OK for a few days, and battery meter was at 3 bars. Was reading earlier, shut off the Reader (not a full shutdown). Tried to start it up again a couple of hours later--dead. No pressing of the on/off switch or reset button helped.

As soon as I connected it to a usb cable (to my pc), the Reader began "opening book" as if starting up from a full shutdown. The orange light on top began flashing for a few seconds, and then the red recharge light came on (with some flashing for another minute). Reader screen said it was charging. When I disconnected, it seemed to be back to normal, except it 'forgot' the book I was reading; on the homescreen, the 'continue reading' section at top was blank.

Any ideas why my Reader goes dead and restarts instantly when connected to a usb cable? I haven't added books in a while, am using just a small portion (maybe 5%) of internal memory. The one library book (ePub) I borrowed a while back has been finished and deleted for a while.

If nobody has any idea, I'm just gonna do a factory reset and reload books, I guess. Last chance to prove you're a Reader maven!!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
I have no idea why this is happening. Wish I could be a Reader Maven ...but I'm not. I'd say call Sony but I don't know if they will be any help either...From what I read on here the Sony Support isn't the best.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 04:58 PM   #4
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Also, considering it has non stock firmware, don't let Sony know, or they'll say they won't help.

I'd try the default on it.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:58 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Also, considering it has non stock firmware, don't let Sony know, or they'll say they won't help.

I'd try the default on it.
The stock firmware is always on any ereader with PRS+ installed.

@DrMoze - If you restart (shutdown, turn-on) the reader while hooked up to the USB the reader will start up in safe mode (read original firmware only mode) without PRS+ active. I think a full recharge, factory reset, and format internal memory might be your next step.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:00 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'd give Sony a call while it is still under warranty.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #7
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
First try a complete factory-reset!

If the writable memory is corrupted (logical errors) a complete reset (factory reset) could help.

"Factory reset" is often named "hard reset". It's not just using the pinhole on the reader. In my case "factory reset" solved various problems.

It's for the 650, but same for the 350. Factory reset:
http://www.factory-reset.com/wiki/PRS-650

PRS+ and warranty:

I sent in 2 different PRS350 on warranty with PRS+ on the reader und that fact wasn't even mentioned by the repair center. Warranty repair without charge both times.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The stock firmware is always on any ereader with PRS+ installed.
So PRS+ just plugs into the stock firmware, I guess, and a factory default would remove it?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
So PRS+ just plugs into the stock firmware, I guess, and a factory default would remove it?
PRS+ sort of rides on top, I known restarting it while hooked to USB brings the reader up with just the factory firmware running, but doesn't remove PRS+. Another restart not connected to the USB should bring it backup with PRS+ back in place. An uninstaller to return it back to plain factory firmware is available for all models on the PRS+ project site.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM   #10
DrMoze
Booknut

OK, I did a reformat earlier. Still had PRS+ running. But now it's completely unresponsive (charged it overnight just to be safe) and my computer won't recognize it via usb. Any ideas on how to access my Reader, or is it toast?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
With PRS+ you cannot brick the reader! That's a fact. So:

Did you do other "things" with the firmware on the reader?

If yes: yes, you can "toast" it (I did it...).
  • Solution: that depends on... (I had to call Sony...)
If no:
  • hardware is defective --> call Sony
  • software is defective --> factory restore (not just reformating! You should have 3 sample books on the reader after factory reset)

I have had same behaviour of my reader like you (no connection to the reader via PC). First time a factory restore did the job. Second time I bricked the reader with faulty firmware. No change for me to fix it --> Sony did the job.

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #12
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
With PRS+ you cannot brick the reader! That's a fact. So:

Did you do other "things" with the firmware on the reader?

If yes: yes, you can "toast" it (I did it...).
  • Solution: that depends on... (I had to call Sony...)
If no:
  • hardware is defective --> call Sony
  • software is defective --> factory restore (not just reformating! You should have 3 sample books on the reader after factory reset)

I have had same behaviour of my reader like you (no connection to the reader via PC). First time a factory restore did the job. Second time I bricked the reader with faulty firmware. No change for me to fix it --> Sony did the job.

A.
I didn't do anything funny with the firmware. Just installed the latest PRS+ a while back. I also reflashed the stock firmware (also from the PRS+ site) when I started having problems.

Is there any way to "wake up" my Reader to do a full factory reset?
Old 09-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
OK, I did a reformat earlier. Still had PRS+ running. But now it's completely unresponsive (charged it overnight just to be safe) and my computer won't recognize it via usb. Any ideas on how to access my Reader, or is it toast?
How did you reformat it?
How are you charging it?
When you go to turn it on do you see any lights flash? Yellow flashing light indicates accessing its flash drive. Red light indicates charging.
Do you see anything on the screen?
Old 09-22-2011, 05:28 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
How did you reformat it?
How are you charging it?
When you go to turn it on do you see any lights flash? Yellow flashing light indicates accessing its flash drive. Red light indicates charging.
Do you see anything on the screen?
Reformatted via the menu commands.

Charging by both pc and usb charger.

Before, the red light would come on and (if plugged into computer) the orange light would also flash when connecting. Now, nada.

Screen is blank. Nothing. No combo of usb hookup, on/off switch, reset button does anything.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

This obviously has nothing to do with PRS+ since your trouble creeped up intermittently. I would follow JSWolf's advice, if under warranty call Sony. If it isn't under warranty I would replace the battery.

Good Luck.