Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #1
Jon Noring
Jon Noring doesn't litterJon Noring doesn't litter

Request feedback on how my ePub ("My Antonia") renders on various mobile readers

Everyone,

I have prepared a hand-made ePub of the classic novel "My Antonia" and am requesting feedback on how this e-book renders in the various mobile ePub reading systems (e.g. iPhone's Stanza) and in conversion and rendering in other formats. Of course, screen captures would be most welcome!

The "My Antonia" ePub is downloadable form: http://www.glasspublishing.net/myantonia/

(Use the highest version in the directory.)

In requesting feedback on how this ePub renders in the desktop readers such as Adobe DE, Epubreader add-on for Firefox, bookworm, etc., someone noted that they sometimes were not able to load this ePub into the iPhone Stanza. I'd like to know why.

Note that this ePub passes epubcheck 1.0.3, 1.0.4, and an unreleased 1.0.5 beta (I am involved with IDPF standards, and was one of the main technical contributors to the specs which underly ePub.)

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks!

Jon Noring
Jon Noring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Windows Sony eBook Library is a good stand-in for mobile ADE on many EInk Readers. Windows FBReader is also similar to FBReader on mobile devices (Linux Desktop FBReader is even closer). See the attached screenshots.

FBReader does not honor all CSS. In this case, it has picked a sans-serif font for "serif" (usually the font is user-selectable in FBReader, but not here). On my Hanlin V3 using OpenInkPot, FBReader does use a serif font (overriding my selection of a sans serif font).

One difference between FBReader and eBL is that the List of Illustrations in the TOC is last in FBReader and 2nd (after the title page) in eBL. The 2-level TOC works in both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyA_eBL1.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	38848   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyA_FBR1.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	38849   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyA_eBL2.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	38850   Click image for larger version

Name:	MyA_FBR2.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	38851  

Last edited by wallcraft; 11-11-2009 at 11:03 AM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Had no problem loading it into Stanza, it looks great!

Couple things-the original title page picture bleeds to the next page here
I think this is a Stanza issue, as some images in Three Men and a Boat were similar.

Also the title page seems shifted down a bit.

Just remember. Stanza overrides a lot of valid ePub stuff, and margins, font size, paragraph spacing is all user-set, so everyone's versions will look quite different.

(page background is mine, not My Antonia's fault )
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When making ePub eBooks, just ignore Stanza. If it looks good in ADE and not Stanza, it's the fault of Stanza's many bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Jon Noring
Jon Noring doesn't litterJon Noring doesn't litter

Thanks for the rapid feedback! And quite useful.
Jon Noring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
traskilajussi
traskilajussi began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N96
Downloaded the v13 and tried to read it on Nokia N96 using bookworm:
1: images are not working,
2: navigating from TOC bookworm complains that it's not a valid file and doesn't open it,
3: starting from the 1st ch. though, BW reads it.

cheers, Jussi
traskilajussi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe digital editions, epub, epubreader, stanza