Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #121
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Who already has an HD+? The Barnes and Noble website is saying November 8th.
I posted that date on #106 because that is what I saw on their website as well at that time. Maybe that is a ship date.

It seems at least some stores got it on the 1st. I could have bought one on the spot without a reservation but I prefer the 7".

I posted a link to a B&N nook board forum earlier as well that showed chatter about the HD+ and some of those folks got one as well.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #122
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
There should be no need for a special SD card; not if sideloading is natively allowed.

You might have to go to settings to "allow installation of applications from unknown sources" or some such.

This is how it works on the Kindle FIRE:
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/11/kindle-fire-sideload/
I looked for "allow installation of apps from unknown sources" the other day but did not see it or anything like that. Maybe that helps to assist in analyzing how sideloading may be available (unless I missed it when I was searching around on the device).

Elsewhere I remember reading in my travels that an SD card was needed and Android SDK or some such is necessary to sideload without rooting. Maybe that helps in how it can be done. Hope that isn't too hard to accomplish for most.

I just poke around and bring info I find and let the seasoned vets knowledgable with this kind of stuff figure it out!

Last edited by robertc88; 11-03-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Advert
Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #123
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toronado View Post
Who already has an HD+? The Barnes and Noble website is saying November 8th.
The 3 around Nashville, TN had them in stock yesterday, I confirmed the store in Murfreesboro had them and reserved a 16gb. When I got there, they had 2 16gb and a 32gb HD+. I'm visiting my mom this weekend so don't have much time to play or post. I can confirm the developer options are still there in settings after the 2.0.2 update. I have been able to add books to the device via dropbox, but you need to EXPORT the book to my files to add to the library. Also, the in store device and mine seem to have a dimmer section of the screen along the right side. Unsure if that is intentional.

I will try to upload the kindle apk from my phone to dropbox and see if I can install it on the HD+. Will report back here with results later. Forgive typos...this is a lot to type on my phone
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #124
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the HD+, I was NOT able to install an apk by downloading it to the device via dropbox. I will try it via adb at work tomorrow. I love the size, weight and how crisp text looks on this device, but it does still feel a bit laggy. And a couple of times when i have changed the brightness setting while reading, the next page in the book was blank. I had to exit to the home screen and jump back into the book to resume reading. Despite the issues, i am likely to keep this, as i think it will be excellent for reading. I cant wait to see how a technical book looks on it.

Last edited by bossfan2000; 11-04-2012 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #125
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossfan2000 View Post
On the HD+, I was NOT able to install an apk by downloading it to the device via dropbox.
Not surprising. The same applied to the previous models (though there was a SNAFU on the Tablet with the original software), sideloading is blocked. But, if you have adb on the developer settings, you should be able to sideload when the device is connected to a PC, "adb install myapp.apk".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #126
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Not surprising. The same applied to the previous models (though there was a SNAFU on the Tablet with the original software), sideloading is blocked. But, if you have adb on the developer settings, you should be able to sideload when the device is connected to a PC, "adb install myapp.apk".
Does that procedure require an sd card?

The Nook I tried in the store today had the latest software update. It was very laggy. I think it may be because of weak wi-fi though so more experiences with the device are necessary to narrow down the issue.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #127
bossfan2000
Connoisseur

So I WAS able to install the Kindle apk via adb. Luckily I'm an Android developer, so I am familiar with some of this stuff. I had to sign up for the Nook Developer program, and install their SDK and adb drivers. I could not install the adb drivers per their instructions..kept getting an unsigned driver error. I finally switched the HD+ to connect as a camera instead of MTP. I had the htc drivers on my computer for my old android phone, and tried using those for the Nook. For some reason, that worked (after an hour of trying to follow the Nook Developer directions). So it involves a lot of work if you dont know much about adb, but if you are familiar with using adb and installing android sdk's and device drivers, you can get sideloading to work without root access. Unfortunately, the sideloaded apps do not show up in your app list (ever, apparently), so anytime you want to access sideloaded apps, you have to press the app button to show the currently installed apps, hold down the volume + button, and tap the Apps header at the top of the screen for 2 seconds. This brings up a screen called Extras, which will let you see your sideloaded apks.

So this process probably is not for the layman, but at least it can be done. Maybe someone will figure out how to make this more accessible to non-developers.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #128
robertc88
Fanatic

Looks like I'll be passing on it then regardless how good the screen I have Nexus 7 with full market access. Too bad, I don't need lots of apps but want access to more than what is in their store
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #129
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertc88 View Post
Does that procedure require an sd card?

The Nook I tried in the store today had the latest software update. It was very laggy. I think it may be because of weak wi-fi though so more experiences with the device are necessary to narrow down the issue.
No. You simply enable ADB on the debugging section and type the command I set earlier. A requirement though is to have the Android SDK installed on your machine. There are plenty of tutorials and videos that show how to do so.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #130
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
No. You simply enable ADB on the debugging section and type the command I set earlier. A requirement though is to have the Android SDK installed on your machine. There are plenty of tutorials and videos that show how to do so.
So is ADB the only way to sideload an app onto one of these? Or can I sideload the GetJar store app using ADB, and then just use that normally?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:00 PM   #131
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
So is ADB the only way to sideload an app onto one of these? Or can I sideload the GetJar store app using ADB, and then just use that normally?

Shari
So far this is only speculation based on what people have reported here, but you won't be able to sideload apps from GetJar or Amazon's appstore. You can sideload those market apps via the shell (adb install ...), but when you try to install an app from GetJar or Amazon, the install will be blocked. On an open device, you would have a setting "Allow unknown sources" that would allow you to sideload, but that setting is missing from the Nook devices, so you can't enable sideloading. Therefore, adb install remains the only means to install 3rd party apps.

Once the device is rooted it will be possible to change this setting and hence allow sideload from the device itself.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #132
robertc88
Fanatic

This is what needs to be done to side load? Ouch!

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...start-up-guide
Old 11-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #133
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
This is what needs to be done to side load? Ouch!

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...start-up-guide
That's the requirement to become an app developer for the Nook store - sideloading is a much simpler process.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #134
robertc88
Fanatic

Quote:
That's the requirement to become an app developer for the Nook store - sideloading is a much simpler process.
Well there was a link embedded so maybe one just needs this:

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...or-android-sdk

Maybe it isn't too tough for some but I'm thinking it would be for most laymen.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #135
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Well there was a link embedded so maybe one just needs this:

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/en...or-android-sdk

Maybe it isn't too tough for some but I'm thinking it would be for most laymen.
That may be so, but the process should be as follows:

1.- install the android SDK (here). Truth be told you don't need the full SDK, you only need a few binaries
2.- connect your nook to the PC
3.- type "adb install <myapp.apk>"

You have to ensure the SDK tools are on the path. When people start getting their nook HD(+) we'll confirm whether this works, but it should, as long as you can enable ADB on the settings screen.