Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #286
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
Great, worked like charme, only leftover, and I know we have translated the two words Articles and Sections, is in periodicals:

http://www.ge.tt/#!/9yiF2SD/v/0

Update: how the f... do I insert a pic?
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #287
JustAMan
Groupie
JustAMan doesn't litterJustAMan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Touch
ixtab,
Yup, that was really what I saw and expected It would be really strange if user-defined bookmarks could be changed via localization. I mean, as a user I could easily remove some bookmarks and replace other, and I won't expect from localization package to change my bookmarks, right?
JustAMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #288
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@JustAMan: totally right. So I guess the localized bookmarks will only ever apply to total virgins who have never ever touched the browser before applying the localization. I can live with that...

@diba: how about [ IMG ] ... [ / IMG ] (without spaces of course) ?
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #289
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

... I'm clueless.

This is what diba is getting on a completely localized (=all available resources translated) KT:

I can't help much because I don't have any periodicals subscriptions. Still, why on earth is it displaying english strings there ("Sections"/"Articles"/ page numbering in english)?

... anyone?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:25 AM   #290
JustAMan
Groupie

I have those in English as well.
Two guesses:
a) it's some blacklisted stuff
b) those strings are in document itself
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 11:44 AM   #291
ixtab
(offline)

@JustAMan: "good" to see that you can confirm this. :/

I had these two guesses as well, but
a) none of the blacklisted files contains anything even remotely resembling this
b) there are no classes which contain the encountered literal strings ("Articles", "Sections") -- except for the Resource classes of course, which should be used through the built-in Java i18n capabilities.

I'm truely dumbstruck. The only way for this to happen that I can currently think of is some code that makes use of the resources, but explicitly sets the locale to be used (probably en_US in this case), thus actually preventing localization. But WhyTF would anybody do this?!?!

Last edited by ixtab; 02-10-2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #292
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Just to mention, on K3 I do have all these things in German. Clearly to be identified and translated. So why should this be changed completely on the touch.
And NO it is not out of the doc. It is news I get created by Calibre and is sent to the Kindle, and as mentioned, on the K3 purely german.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #293
JustAMan
Groupie

ixtab,
Poking at .class files I find that there's some stuff looking like "MessageFormat(some_choice_|Article{1,number,numer ) of {3,number,number})" (don't want to retype it here), and I don't see anything remotely resembling this in your extracted properties.
So either you didn't extract it or we blacklisted it (if we did it was wrong).
Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #294
diba
Addict

ixtab, is the snapshot now with WAF / pillows ?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #295
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@ixtab, diba, ok, guys, as I've informed you about possible danger of including translator-supplied URLs into a localization bundle, I believe that you are making a deliberate choice in current situation. So I'll not persist in obligatory blacklisting of URLs in Pillow/WAF resources.

But I have a compromise solution. Sometime later I'll introduce an option for controlling URL's blacklisting and then set blacklisting by default. Here is the complete plan:
  • introduce set of options for controlling blacklisting of URLs (say, --blacklist-all-urls and --no-blacklist-all-urls). Leave current behavior (no blacklisting) as default,
  • ask ixtab to use --no-blacklist-all-urls in localization bundles' producing,
  • after updating of bundles' producing pipeline, set --blacklist-all-urls as default behavior
So disabling of blacklisting will be an explicit choice. It will make me happier

Right now no URLs are blacklisted, so produced bundles will act as you like.

But there is a small defect with displaying of media player resource (not my fault). UTF-8 characters in that string with MessageFormat constructor are displayed on KT as garbage. It was noticed by JustAMan with cyrilllic characters. Can you confirm it? (It is a Pillow resource, trackCountMessageFormat property located at file strings/media_player_bar_strings.properties.) I have a bypass solution with encoding UTF-8 characters into a Unicode escape sequences on compiling (like: "превед" in this concrete property will be converted into a "\u043f\u0440\u0435\u0432\u0435\u0434" at the resulting JS file). It should work, but before implementing it I'd like to hear more reports about this weird behavior.

UPD Just for clarification. ixtab, if you are OK with current output of js_resources tool, then I have no objections against inclusion of Pillow/WAF part into localization bundles.

Last edited by eureka; 02-10-2012 at 03:17 PM. Reason: adding resume
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:36 PM   #296
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAMan View Post
ixtab,
Poking at .class files I find that there's some stuff looking like "MessageFormat(some_choice_|Article{1,number,numer ) of {3,number,number})" (don't want to retype it here), and I don't see anything remotely resembling this in your extracted properties.
So either you didn't extract it or we blacklisted it (if we did it was wrong).
Where exactly did you find this?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #297
ixtab
(offline)

@diba: Yes, I just checked in the code. Starting with 20120211, daily snapshots will include "everything".

@eureka: Sounds like a plan, we can do it like that. Just let me know when I should add the parameter to the invocation.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-10-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:51 PM   #298
lan54160
lan54160 began at the beginning.

Chinese keyboard

how can I install a Chinese keyboard on my Kindle Touch?
lan54160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #299
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lan54160 View Post
how can I install a Chinese keyboard on my Kindle Touch?
There is none, so you would have to create one by yourself. However, I have absolutely no clue how this could be achieved for chinese (or other "non-alphabet" languages). As far as I can tell, the Kindle simply doesn't support such input methods. Essentially, you would probably have to create a keyboard with ~20000 keys -- or completely rewrite all Keyboard-related classes. Sorry
Old 02-11-2012, 01:12 AM   #300
ixtab
(offline)

... personally, I think the image would integrate a bit better with the overall look & feel if it was a bit "bolder". Simply filling the space between the two "outer circles" in solid black should do (something like ). It's not terribly beautiful because of the "grayscale blending" of pixels, but you should get the idea. @JustAMan, since you seem to have created the original file, could you do this please?