Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 09:41 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"The Most Boring Book" I read or tried to read

WARNING: If you're a living author and a member of MobileRead, you need to avoid reading this thread, because your boring book - YOUR EXTREMELY BORING BOOK - may be mentioned, blasted, and sent to Hell to be read only by the undead for their eternal punishment.

I'm a fan of James Joyce, but when I studied Finnegans Wake at the University, I found this massive tome to be quite boring. When compared to the beauty of Ulysses or A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Finnegans Wake is not a novel one reads for excitement.

Keep the thread nice, please. (Remember, if you're an author of a Boring Book, you need to be smart and avoid reading this thread, even though you weren't very smart when you published your Boring Book.)

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Lisey's Story by Stephen King.. a surefire insomnia cure.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 09:55 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
"My Life on an Oil Rig" was a boring read.

"My Life in the Shipyards" was a rivetting one.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:02 AM   #4
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
*Ducks under flame-proof shelter*

Blindness by Jose Saramago
The Alchemist by Paul Coelho

Just couldn't bring myself to finish either, despite the hype/awards these novels received...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
Really? I found it entertaining - not one of King's best by far, but still entertaining.
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post

Just couldn't bring myself to finish either, despite the hype/awards these novels received...

Really? I found it entertaining - not one of King's best by far, but still entertaining.
I think I was bored by page 2.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #6
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
I think I was bored by page 2.
Well, it did have a very slow start...
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
I enjoyed that!

I'll nominate "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" - the series started off well, but it got more tedious with each book, and the latest was the worst (I didn't bother finishing it ).
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 AM   #8
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Well, it did have a very slow start...
It was so slow I actually went back in time while reading it
Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
"My Life on an Oil Rig" was a boring read.

"My Life in the Shipyards" was a rivetting one.

Yes, I agree that subject matter certainly dictates the "boringness" of a book.

Don
Old 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I loved Blindness. In fact, I actually collect Saramago in English First Edition hardbacks.

In what manner did it strike you as boring?

Don
Old 03-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Maybe you should read King's Insomnia!

Don
Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The Sea, The Sea, by Iris Murdoch. At times I gave my contempt it's raving, foam-fleckled, snarling lead, just to break up the "I really couldn't give a fat rat's manky clacker what any of these people do, have done, or will do" boredom.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 10:55 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The two most boring books I've read cover to cover have been The Silmarillian and A Passage to India.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I could not finish Gerald's Game by Stephen King... Ugh
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #15
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe;
Second that I read less than 10% before throwing it at the wall. Even the local second hand book shop would not take it.

And also add State of fear by Michael Crichton.

Why must some authors become so self indulgent, I'll never wast money on either of their work again.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote