Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Soooo.. iBooks on computer, eh?

Look for it in OSX 10.9, aka OSX "Mavericks" (they ran out of cats, apparently).

Lots to like in the new iOS7 as well. Its almost a temptation to sign up as a dev, to get the new beta and check out whether iBooks is better. At least they have got rid of that stupid book-look UI. This *may* mean narrower margins. One can hope.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:50 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm going through a massive breakdown from the iOS 7 changes. I am so embarrassed to be an Apple consumer right now.

10.9 looks great though, about to partition and give it a spin. Wonder if I can import my own stuff in iBooks? Hmm.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I'm going through a massive breakdown from the iOS 7 changes. I am so embarrassed to be an Apple consumer right now.

10.9 looks great though, about to partition and give it a spin. Wonder if I can import my own stuff in iBooks? Hmm.
Are you a developer? I registered as one ages ago but did nothing with it in the end...
Old 06-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

OS X 10.9 and iOS7 both look like winners to me. I especially like the iOS7 improvements. Time will tell what impact it will have on battery life though.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #5
kyteflyer
Wizard

OOOHHHH just got my invitation to participate in the customer seed program. YES!! Just waiting now for the invite to download, will clone my HD, and then install the first seed. I think this is the first time I have really looked forward to an OSX release since Leopard.

and, I am really really tempted to fork out the $99 to get at the early releases of iOS7, too.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Are you a developer? I registered as one ages ago but did nothing with it in the end...
No, I mean, I could easily put out a game if I really wanted to, I have Unity, I know how to somewhat visually program stuff with the plugins I have for it, but I have absolutely no ideas. I want to mature my Maya knowledge before I even try to do anything to be honest. That and have more practice with my DAW since I would be a one solo act doing all the brainstorming/writing, modeling, textures, rendering, scripting, and music composing.

My friend has a developer account though, and they've always let me get into it.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
kyteflyer
Wizard

Well, I have a way into the iOS7 program too, without having to fork out. an online acquaintance has a dev account and offered some of us to get in on the fun for the cost of a donation to the Children's Hospital in Melbourne (victoria, oz) which I was happy to do. He ran out of slots but has applied for a second account anyway, and has some uids he needs to delete so I'll be playing probably tomorrow morning, he said.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I'm not a developer, but I signed up for an Apple Developer account not long after they introduced the first iPhone. Mostly I signed up out of curiosity and to get easy access to developer documents/information. I hadn't been on the website in several years, but was able to login this morning. I'm content to wait for others to test out iOS7 before even considering loading it. I haven't decided on OS X 10.9. Probably better to wait a bit on that too.

One disappointment from yesterday was that Apple did not announce a new version of Aperture, which is their Photoshop Lightroom equivalent for Mac OS X. I do a lot of photography and was really hoping they would finally update Aperture 3.x to 4.x, but no such luck yet. With Adobe going nuts and moving Photoshop to a cloud based software renting scheme, I want an Aperture that can finally replace Lightroom all together. I've been using Photoshop (legally I might add) for nearly 25 years now, but Adobe has decided we can no longer buy it, we have to rent it and pay up to several times more than we did buying it.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Look for it in OSX 10.9, aka OSX "Mavericks" (they ran out of cats, apparently).
They should've asked me -- Meow Cat
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM   #10
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
OS X 10.9 and iOS7 both look like winners to me. I especially like the iOS7 improvements. Time will tell what impact it will have on battery life though.
I cringed when they announced "true" multitasking and autostarting of apps. It has been the selective/intelligent multitasking of iOS that has allowed it to have significantly longer battery life than Android devices. If there is a hit to battery life because of this multitasking and autostarting then I'll simply switch back to Android where I'll suffer the same but at least have an open platform for developing and configuring.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I cringed when they announced "true" multitasking and autostarting of apps. It has been the selective/intelligent multitasking of iOS that has allowed it to have significantly longer battery life than Android devices. If there is a hit to battery life because of this multitasking and autostarting then I'll simply switch back to Android where I'll suffer the same but at least have an open platform for developing and configuring.
Battery hits are what I am mostly concerned about as far as iOS7 goes. Hence why I am willing to wait and let others test it out first.

I will NEVER return to Android though! Geeks might love it, but I don't, even though I am a geek too! At least Apple forces the phone carriers to allow updates to iOS, unlike Android which might sit at v2.3 forever on a phone. Plus Apple prevents phone carriers from rewriting iOS, unlike Android where each carrier and each phone manufacturer seem to write their own interface and populate the phone with apps no one wants and which you cannot easily get rid of. No thanks, I'll stick with iOS. Yes, I know you can jailbreak virtually anything, but let's face it, most people don't even know what "to jailbreak" means much less how to do it! And I for one know how but don't want to. Also, with iOS assured to be current on compatible devices, and with Apple strictly controlling the devices, there is much less likelihood of an app not working well. With Android apps there is an infinite number of hardware platforms and Android versions, so apps sometimes just don't work on your device. Add to that the total lack of quality control. Again, no thanks, I'll stick with iOS.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:08 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
This, I am told, is a reference to a surfing beach here in California. Places of interest is the new name titles.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This, I am told, is a reference to a surfing beach here in California. Places of interest is the new name titles.

Dale

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location)

AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Battery hits are what I am mostly concerned about as far as iOS7 goes. Hence why I am willing to wait and let others test it out first.

I will NEVER return to Android though! Geeks might love it, but I don't, even though I am a geek too! At least Apple forces the phone carriers to allow updates to iOS, unlike Android which might sit at v2.3 forever on a phone. Plus Apple prevents phone carriers from rewriting iOS, unlike Android where each carrier and each phone manufacturer seem to write their own interface and populate the phone with apps no one wants and which you cannot easily get rid of. No thanks, I'll stick with iOS. Yes, I know you can jailbreak virtually anything, but let's face it, most people don't even know what "to jailbreak" means much less how to do it! And I for one know how but don't want to. Also, with iOS assured to be current on compatible devices, and with Apple strictly controlling the devices, there is much less likelihood of an app not working well. With Android apps there is an infinite number of hardware platforms and Android versions, so apps sometimes just don't work on your device. Add to that the total lack of quality control. Again, no thanks, I'll stick with iOS.
I agree with many of your points. But as far as iOS assured to be current on compatible devices, I don't see it that way. iOS7 will support the iPhone 4, but not all functions will work. The say was true for iOS6. What good is claiming that the iPhone 4 will run iOS7 if not all functions (and their respective APIs) won't work?
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

iBooks is not included in the developer preview by the way. Sorry guys.