Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #61
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Wouldn't the Kindle require the ability to act as a usb 'host' in order to use a keyboard? Right now, it's purely in 'client' mode. I am not sure whether this is something that can be fixed in firmware, or if it would require hardware changes.

If it could access a keyboard, here's something I'd like to see...a remote control for turning pages. It would certainly relive the cramping in my hands from holding the same position for long periods of time, ready to hit the 'page turn' button. I'd love to be able to hold onto a small remote control and hit that to turn the page.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #62
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I definitely think the Kindle 3 is right around the corner. Amazon cannot let its premier product in this market stagnate with all the competition out there. I see the most likely announcement in February being a product that fills the $359 price point that has been vacated by the dropping price of the K2. I also expect that there will be some refreshes of the K2 that make it incrementally better. Finally, I'd say there's an outside chance that Amazon could introduce a baby Kindle at less than $200 to make sure they have a product in every niche of the market. Here are my predictions, in order of liklihood:

1) K3 at $359 ($399?); 6" color screen, improved contrast for b/w reading. Magazine content partners announced.

2) K2 at $259; available in a variety of colors (i.e. Cool-er), better contrast screen, small improvements to keyboard, firmware updated for more customization

3) Kindle Mini at $189; 5" reader without keyboard, US wireless only
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #63
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
During the recent CES show it was reported that a Qualcomm representative implied they would be partnering with Amazon on a new color Kindle that uses Qualcomm's Mirasol technology. Seperately a Qualcomm represenative stated they expect their product to be available in the fall of this year.

I really hope this is true because Mirasol is some slick technology. The display is color and it is not backlit like LCD but is reflective like E-Ink, and it is capable of refresh rates that will support video while maintaining a long battery life. This is my dream device.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #64
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
During the recent CES show it was reported that a Qualcomm representative implied they would be partnering with Amazon on a new color Kindle that uses Qualcomm's Mirasol technology.
Yeah that's the only real Kindle 3 rumour I have heard recently. Most of the gossip has been about android devices, apple tablet and what the other manufacturers are doing with their readers.

I'm sure Amazon isn't sitting on their laurels, but mirasol screen devices might take a while to make because I don't think they have production capacity needed to do a huge run of Kindle screens. They would have to build a couple of factories and that could take months.

Mirasol is pretty exciting stuff though, as they point out batteries are not improving very fast compared to the rest of the technologies. So with an ultra low power screen like mirasol we get much longer life from our batteries. If it does video well then the potential is huge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBbQv...embedded#at=35
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:22 PM   #65
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
During the recent CES show it was reported that a Qualcomm representative implied they would be partnering with Amazon on a new color Kindle that uses Qualcomm's Mirasol technology. Seperately a Qualcomm represenative stated they expect their product to be available in the fall of this year.

I really hope this is true because Mirasol is some slick technology. The display is color and it is not backlit like LCD but is reflective like E-Ink, and it is capable of refresh rates that will support video while maintaining a long battery life. This is my dream device.
Color was the next logical avenue to undertake for Amazon, may be possibly introduce game downloads eventually as add ons too.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #66
Nathan Campos
Groupie
Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathan Campos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX & Kindle (2011)
No!
One more! I've just got my DX!
Nathan Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #67
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Campos View Post
No!
One more! I've just got my DX!
Qualcomm said the Fall, and I'd be willing to wager that this date slips. The only thing they are displaying right now is a 6" screen that was about 1/2" think. I'm guessing we won't see anything until 2011. So, enjoy your DX (I love mine).
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #68
jmgroft
jmgroft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
A remote control!??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdibella View Post
If it could access a keyboard, here's something I'd like to see...a remote control for turning pages. It would certainly relive the cramping in my hands from holding the same position for long periods of time...

LOL, now that's got to be the epitome of lazy! A remote control? For a Kindle?

The purpose of an eBook reader is to replace the pages with an electronic alternative. You hold it for long periods of time because that's what you do with a book. If that's a problem, read the books on your computer.

Too funny.
jmgroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #69
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Qualcomm said the Fall, and I'd be willing to wager that this date slips. The only thing they are displaying right now is a 6" screen that was about 1/2" think. I'm guessing we won't see anything until 2011. So, enjoy your DX (I love mine).

Yeah, they probably won't be introducing a color DX version this year. I can't wait until 2011 though! Mirasol is a revolutionary technology that will change the world!
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #70
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
There's quite a bit they can do via firmware updates (and even improvements to the Kindle webpages). Given the recent slew of e-book reader announcements at CES, I would expect Amazon to be making frequent upgrades to the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX throughout 2010. They have already promised to provide a folder capability, and yesterday they announced their intention to develop a "Kindle app" store.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #71
TheNookDude
TheNookDude began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaggisMacJedi View Post
Some people are waiting for the Kindle 3...and the Kindle 4...and the Kindle 5...and...

See what's happening here? Honestly, it's an electronic book, meant for reading books. How fancy do you need your black ink on a blank page device to be? I mean really, other than the books, do you really need all the other bells and whistles? Most people have a laptop, smartphone, droid phone, PSP, or some other gizmo that picks up the internet for browsing, so it's not necessary for their e-reader be able to surf the web.

As for color e-ink, that would be great for magazines, but the first or second gen models won't (most likely) be crisp and clean and hi-rez, so the black and white will still be what you go for.

Bottom line, don't fret about getting a current generation e-reader. The truth of the matter is that it will do you just fine for several years. Enjoy your Kindle 2 (mine's in transit from Amazon) and don't have any remorse if a newer model comes out in a few months. Worst case scenario is that you can put it up for sale on eBay, Craigslist, or here, and someone will take it off your hands, and you can apply the cash to the newest thing.
That may be true, but I think the nook has the best chance at ebook domination at this point because of its simple availability of books. I mean, seriously, people. This is Barnes & Noble we're talking about here. The greatest selection of books in all history. However, I do think that the Kindle has some pros and cons of its own. (Wah! No expandable memory!)

As for a color e-ink display, I don't think a feature like that will come out in the near future. E-ink is just tiny particles of titanium dioxide floating around in a fluid. Yes. Tiny particles of solid material. When these pieces float near the front (moved by way of electrical current), the area appears light. When they float near the back, dark. So, how would a color e-ink display work? Not only would it be expensive, but it would also be less economical than regular e-ink. Tiny, color-changing particles floating around in fluid? No. You may as well aim for an e-reader with an LCD display (the cheaper, more practical option).
TheNookDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:40 AM   #72
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNookDude View Post
That may be true, but I think the nook has the best chance at ebook domination at this point because of its simple availability of books. I mean, seriously, people. This is Barnes & Noble we're talking about here. The greatest selection of books in all history. However, I do think that the Kindle has some pros and cons of its own. (Wah! No expandable memory!)

As for a color e-ink display, I don't think a feature like that will come out in the near future. E-ink is just tiny particles of titanium dioxide floating around in a fluid. Yes. Tiny particles of solid material. When these pieces float near the front (moved by way of electrical current), the area appears light. When they float near the back, dark. So, how would a color e-ink display work? Not only would it be expensive, but it would also be less economical than regular e-ink. Tiny, color-changing particles floating around in fluid? No. You may as well aim for an e-reader with an LCD display (the cheaper, more practical option).
welcome to the forums. you may be happier in the nook forum if you are going to diss another one in your very first post
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote