Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 12:20 PM   #46
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Touch screens for just turning pages etc. are probably just a fad.

But I see stylus screens becoming popular--at least in larger screen devices. If these things are going to replace paper in places like the business world and academia then they need the ability to be written on just like paper. Be it for marking up PDFs and books, grading papers, or taking notes in meetings etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #47
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
A touch screen is not high on my list of missing features. I'd rather have the SD card like I did with the first Kindle. However, I do have an idea in regards to the keyboard.

I would like to get rid of the built in keyboard. The space currently used by the keyboard could be used for either a bigger screen or to reduce the Kindle's form factor. Instead of the built in keyboad you could purchase an optional USB keyboard that plugs in to your Kindle. The keyboard could even double as a Kindle holder (just pop the Kindle into the keyboard's built in slot).

However, you are not limited to only using the optional keyboard. The new Kindle could also include a software based keyboard where the letters are displayed on the screen and pressed by using the thumb stick thingy. Most people would prefer the usb keyboard, but the software keyboard would work in a pinch.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #48
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
However, you are not limited to only using the optional keyboard. The new Kindle could also include a software based keyboard where the letters are displayed on the screen and pressed by using the thumb stick thingy. Most people would prefer the usb keyboard, but the software keyboard would work in a pinch.
I must not be one of "most people", because I would not like either of those two options. I certainly think there is room for improvement in the integrated keyboard, but quite frankly I want it to stay put! Though if they could find a way to use a slide out keyboard that wouldn't make the device thicker, that might be better still.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
The "most people" comment was in reference to the usb keyboard compared to the software keyboard navigated with the joystick. I have no idea if people would prefer a Kindle without the thumb keyboard at the bottom, although I could definately live without it.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #50
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I could live without the keyboard as well. It's much easier to just browse on the website and get books and samples that way for me. And the browser is useless so I don't bother with that either.
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #51
jmgroft
jmgroft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
A few improvements

I just purchased a Kindle 2. I had been looking at the nook, but I ended up buying the Kindle 2 for a few reasons:
  1. I can get it right away.
  2. I don't have to wait for Amazon to work out the kinks.
  3. Amazon has much more and less expensive content
  4. If I wait for the PERFECT eReader, I'll never get one.

I love my Kindle and I'm very happy with my decision. Here's what I like most:
  1. They keyboard. The nook's keyboard is onscreen and, while the concept is good, onscreen keyboards never work well. I like the tactile feedback from a chiclet keyboard.
  2. I find that I don't miss the color screen at all.
  3. The weight. The nook is thinner than I expected, but heavier than it looks. Kindle 2 is the perfect weight.
  4. The available content/pricing

I'm sure nook will get better, but while they're improving, I get to enjoy an already established eReader. That said, there are a few improvements I would suggest:
  1. Content Management - but that's on it's way now.
  2. Book Lending - Ideally, I could lend a book to a borrower regardless of their device, but I'd be happy with being able to lend a book to a fellow Kindle owner.
  3. User Replaceable Battery - Sorry, I think Amazon missed the mark here.
I really don't care about a touchscreen. I could take it or leave it. Color would be nice for some things, but not for most. Most books are not in color. I really don't miss the SD card either. Since Amazon allows you to delete books from your device, but still allows you to redownload them from your archive, that really eliminates my need for an SD card. It could be helpful for music or maybe some of my own documents, but that's about it. I rarely use those features.

What I would say about many of those features is that it really depends on what you want your device to be. We're kind of accustomed to devices that try to be everything to everyone. Jeff Bezos was really clear on the fact that he wants to Kindle to be simple. He wants the device to 'disappear' and take a back seat to the reading experience. The more features you add, the more complex the device becomes. I'm not saying there's not a niche for those devices. It's just not what the Kindle is intended to be. I want mine to be a good eReader. As long as it serves that purpose, I'm happy.

John

Last edited by jmgroft; 12-15-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: formatting
jmgroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #52
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
i think software keyboards are over rated. they take up more battery life probably, which is another negative.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #53
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
+1

I absolutely abhor the one one my Touch. The one on my smartphone is much better. I'd rather have a physical keyboard. The other alternative, touch screen with handwriting recognition software is a decent alternative if you take the time to work with the software so it recognizes *your* handwriting.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #54
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
The problem with physical keyboards is that they take so much room! Devices without them can be more compact and really how often do you use the Kindle keyboard. For me at least it's all about opening books and turning pages, incredibly simple.

For that a touch screen would suffice and make for a far more elegant device. I think Amazon will go the touch route simply because other companies are doing it (Apple, Nook, Sony) and Amazon will see that as remaining competitive.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #55
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
The problem with physical keyboards is that they take so much room! Devices without them can be more compact and really how often do you use the Kindle keyboard. For me at least it's all about opening books and turning pages, incredibly simple.

For that a touch screen would suffice and make for a far more elegant device. I think Amazon will go the touch route simply because other companies are doing it (Apple, Nook, Sony) and Amazon will see that as remaining competitive.
I sure hope they don't go that way, I use my keyboard at least once a day to run a search of one type or another!
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #56
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:

It's all just a matter of how much you need to type on a device.

I don't need it at all. On my leisure reader I just need basic buttons (page turns etc.). On a future work tablet I just need basic buttons and a stylus for marking up things.

I'll stick to Amazon.com for browsing and buying books etc. Just much quicker and easier than trying to type with my thumbs and dealing with the slow wireless and slow e-ink refresh rates.

But I can see where other's need them, so no reason to not have models (or brands) with and without keyboards so there's something for eveyone's needs.
Old 12-18-2009, 05:04 AM   #57
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
plastic logic will be announcing at CES (jan 7??). Now that nook has not turned out so well, next meaningful competitor will be them (although they are supposedly going after a more business demographic). Amazon did respond with software update around time of nook announcement. maybe more software upgrades in jan/feb. Can't think of any "killer" hardware or software changes for me. Bunch of nice to haves:
- multitouch
- plug in memory card
- color (but only if eink or similar tech)
- faster switching from powersave state
- user configurable timeout period
- alt lock, sym lock capability
- search backwards from current loc in book
- export kindle metadata especially ISBN to excel ss
- folders
- folio view support -- esp for non contig pages
- email notification when titles avail on kindle
- "save for later" with price totalling in kindle cart
- see everything on your kindle from internet -- not just stuff purchased from amazon
- in menus on kindle scrolling off the top should scroll around to bottom
- a "print to kindle" function
- put prices on kindle wishlist items
- rename/delete items while on the kindle
- auto wireless off after user configuable timeout value
- better browser
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #58
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:

Well I would be happy to have an ereader slightly thicker with a slide out keyboard, similar kind of setup as a slider mobile phone. Tuck it away when not using it, slide it out when needed.

From what I see there are two options for touch, finder or stylus. Both are not something I am keen on personally. With touch you leave finger prints on the screen (real distraction when trying to focus and enjoy your reading) and the stylus you run the risk of scratching. Can't tell you how many palm pilots I have seen with scratches all over the screen from stylus use - once again IMHO would cause real distraction trying to read.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM   #59
jmgroft
jmgroft began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Keyboard

You know, I find that I use the keyboard a lot more than I thought I would.

Searching for books on the device is a major use, but that will likely go away with Amazon's updated content management. However, searching for books in the kindle store is another big one. That won't go away.

I also find that I use the web browser more than I expected and the keyboard comes in handy for that. Again - searching Wikipedia and other sites. But since the web IS available on the Kindle, I've also used it for other things. Last night, I transferred money from one bank account to another right from my Kindle - and it was easier than from my cell phone because the screen is bigger.

Before I actually used a Kindle, I thought the keybaord looked a little awkward. Why take up that space for the keybaord instead of making the screen bigger? But now that I actually use one, I wouldn't want to give it up. It is perfect for thumb-typing - like on a cell phone.

I HATE on-screen keyboards because they usually are just awful. I've tried the iPhone keyboard and it sucks. I spend more time correcting than typing. I have my doubts about a slide-out keyboard as well. I have a cell phone with a slide out keyboard and, knowing how you hold/balance the phone while you're working with the keyboard, I think Kindle would have a tough time with that. I think it would end up being very top-heavy.

I find that I really do like the current hardware design of the Kindle. I think it's very easy to use. The keyboard really just blends in and works well. I really wouldn't change much physically except to make the battery user-replaceable (without voiding your warranty) and possibly to add a micro-SD slot.

John
jmgroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM   #60
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
There is room for improvement in the Kindle 2 keyboard -- improvement does not include removing it. Touch screen is not necessarily the answer. They have their uses -- but cost needs to be weighed. The Kindle's "it just works" elegance is something worth protecting and not fooling around with.

The basics: to deliver a pleasurable reading experience. Non-backlit e-ink is a pretty remarkable advance in screen technology. OK, colour is nice when evaluating illuminated sacred texts -- but Sam Spade is just fine, thanks, in b&w.

I love the web: that's why I have a computer. But it's a nibbly experience -- this, that, the next thing: text, pictures, video -- a mashup of ideas and streaming collectivity. I can share my pictures, my life moments, my rages and loves on Facebook. But none of this is the experience of curling up and have a good read, with a cat snoozing on my calves.

Perhaps there is room for two or three Kindles: the "pulp" Kindle, the "academic" Kindle and the "gizmo on steroids" Kindle. At the heart of each: easy-on-the-eyes reading, simple navigation and user interface. If you want to take notes and merge stuff in from the web, maybe the academic version is for you. If you want a stripped down tablet computer that is optimized for books, magazines and newspapers (in that order), then there is the gizmo version for you.

Kindle 2 gets me most of where I want to go with a dedicated reader: crisp resizable type; a form factor whilst reading that is "natural" and familiar; easy access to, storage and acquisition of new content; a comfort zone on the investment if the device is lost or damaged beyond repair.

There are some added benefits: the built in dictionary; the built in "read to me"; the built-in access to wikipedia -- and a workable keyboard to access it. For notes, it's not so good ... that's why an "academic" version might be helpful for folks willing to pay for such extras.

But for just having a great read -- the Kindle 2 is pretty darn good as is. By all means continue to enhance it ... but let's not lose its essence.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 12-18-2009 at 07:08 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote