Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2009, 05:21 AM   #61
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
EDIT: They are also available on Fictionwise with a 100% credit.
I've just bought "The Hobbit" and "The Lord of the Rings" from Fictionwise in Mobipocket format. On a quick look, I'm a little disappointed.

The covers are in black & white.

The illustrations in "The Hobbit" are black & white. Worse - they haven't converted the colour plates to greyscale, they've just left them out! On the plus side, I suppose the illustrations are an OK size - about 600 pixels in largest dimension, and are sharper than I could get from a scan of a hardcover.

The text appears to be from a 2001 revision of the 1995 hardcover text, and from computer files, which is all good.

"The Lord of the Rings" has slightly bigger illustrations - up to 900 pixels in the larger dimension, but also in black & white. It seems to be complete with the appendices, but without the maps of Middle Earth and Gondor - only a map of the Shire (in black & white - no colour highlighting). Nor does it have the leaves from the Book of Mazarbul.

Which is odd, since the text seems to be from the 50th Anniversary Edition, which idoes have those illustrations. (And the text contains lots of corrections to mistakes in earlier versions.)

Hobbit Text: The in-line runes are there, but the graphics used are, perhaps, a little small, and, of course, can't scale with the text. Perhaps in the ePUB they used a special embedded font, but I doubt it.
The songs seem to have been done well. It could do with a little space between text and start of song, and a little less between verses, but not too bad.
The general appearance is good - no indents at the start of chapters, indents at the start of paragraphs instead of space between paragraphs, curly quotes.

LOTR Text: Much like the hobbit in most things. Immediately obvious is a rather strange larger indent after a break in the text, which must be an encoding error, since in the printed book those indents are the same size as normal. Ah - just checked. It might be mobipocket specific, as on normal paragraphs the indent is "27" - bad, because that's in pixels and doesn't scale with the font, and after a break in the text, the indent is "2em" - good, because it scales with the font, but bad because it's a bit too big for my taste, I prefer a 1em indent.
There are some odd links in the text. For example, a link is placed on the first instance of "Gil-galed" (in chapter 11), but the link takes us to the mysterious text "185" and nothing else. There's no footnote in the printed book, so I suspect this is an accidental artifact.

Since this is the Mobipocket version from fictionwise, I suspect that the Kindle version is similar Perhaps the ePub is better.

So - I'm pleased to have legitimate version, but a bit disappointed that the proof-reading for the encoding seems to be a little lacking on such a big release, and that they haven't included all the illustrations.

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
The post title says it all. Just got the email from Fictionwise a few minutes ago.

Edited to add: I just checked the Fictionwise site and indeed they are there. The price is right!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #62
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Thanks for the updates on quality. Sounds like if you want the reeeally nice version, you still have to do a little tweaking by hand, but still fine for most people.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #63
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I just paid for Children of Hurin on Fictionwise and it refuses to download. When I try to download I get:

Description : Error : Download is not authorized for this retailer.
Source : download.asp
Number : -5

I've let Fictionwise know but I hate being charged for something and not being able to get it!!!
I had the same problem. I let Fictionwise know also. It should work now though.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 AM   #64
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
No one with an ePub or Lit version for the quality review?
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #65
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Amazon
LOTR Trilogy $15.94, TT $10, RK $10 ...
Harper Collins
LOTR $23.19, ROTK $12, TT $12 ...
Fictionwise (100% Micropay) if you belong to the club + TAXDAY 15%off
LOTR $24.64, FOTR $12.74, TT $12.74, ROTK $12.74

Since I belong to Fictionwise their 100% micropay is the best deal...my problem is I want it as individual books and not the huge LOTR trilogy so I would pay more. If I wait I could lose the 100% micropay but I know these will go down in time and I don't think I'll be reading them soon. I have too much a backlog already.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 AM   #66
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Where's the downside in the combined eBook?

The text is that same. It's no heavier in the hand. The combined volume now includes the appendices (which used not to be the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagansoul View Post
Amazon
LOTR Trilogy $15.94, TT $10, RK $10 ...
Harper Collins
LOTR $23.19, ROTK $12, TT $12 ...
Fictionwise (100% Micropay) if you belong to the club + TAXDAY 15%off
LOTR $24.64, FOTR $12.74, TT $12.74, ROTK $12.74

Since I belong to Fictionwise their 100% micropay is the best deal...my problem is I want it as individual books and not the huge LOTR trilogy so I would pay more. If I wait I could lose the 100% micropay but I know these will go down in time and I don't think I'll be reading them soon. I have too much a backlog already.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #67
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

By the way for thoses who have the combined eBooks, does the cover of the three books are present?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:02 AM   #68
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
First Tolkien, could Rowling be next?
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #69
Godzil

For sure

But I hope that there will be no earthquake or anything like this when Rowling will allow ePotter's book
Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Although Fictionwise doesn't sell these books in a Sony format, you can get them from the Sony store.

Note: Fictionwise doesn't sell Sony-format books with DRM and these books are not available from any retailer without DRM.
But Fictionwise is doing people a disservice. These books are available in ePub and they won't sell that. All Fictionwise sells is eReader and Mobipocket. BooksOnBoard sells the ePub whoch can be read with a 505 and a 700. It is a shame that Fictionwise has gone downhill. They don't even carry the MS Reader editions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:15 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What to do... what to do...? If I buy at Fictionwise I'll get member rebate + micropay rebate, but they only have mobi and ereader formats. Booksonboard have .lit as well, and I need to convert to lrf in any case so it's nice to have the best possible to work from. So is it worth it to get .lit? Ah, well, something to think about for today
If you do buy from BooksOnBoard, get the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM   #72
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzil View Post
By the way for thoses who have the combined eBooks, does the cover of the three books are present?
No, the cover of the three books are not present. Why would that be important though?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #73
Godzil

Because they are prettier than the cover of the "complete" version
Old 04-20-2009, 08:25 AM   #74
All4Fun
Zealot

All things being equal, would one expect differences between the ePUB, ,LIT, and MOBI versions of the ebooks?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #75
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I downloaded the sample for the combined trilogy from Amazon. There doesn't seem to be a Table of Contents. It would be hard to navigate the 3 books without one.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote