Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #46
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
I am still confused about this Micropay. It sound like a gimmick to me.
Well... sure it is a gimmick. If your definition of gimmick is: a device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Quote:
Say they list one of these books at $15. If the the rebate is 100% then $15 gets credited to my account. Does this mean that I can buy another book for $15? Do I have this right?
Yes, that is exactly right. It is just a store credit. Nothing really confusing about it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #47
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
I am still confused about this Micropay. It sound like a gimmick to me. Say they list one of these books at $15. If the the rebate is 100% then $15 gets credited to my account. Does this mean that I can buy another book for $15? Do I have this right?
Like pilotbob said--that's correct.

It's basically a way of saying, "If you spend $15 at our webstore, on anything you like, you can have this book for free." Books with 50% micropay rebates are "buy [$X] at our store, and get 1/2 of this book free."

And you don't have to buy the $X right now; you can use that later. Get the freebie first, and later get the other stuff.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2009, 11:44 PM   #48
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
Although Fictionwise doesn't sell these books in a Sony format, you can get them from the Sony store.

Note: Fictionwise doesn't sell Sony-format books with DRM and these books are not available from any retailer without DRM.
You are of course correct, Elsi, I shouldn't have mentioned lrf in regards to fictionwise. I buy the majority of my books from fictionwise in .lit format (which I prompltly remove the DRM from and convert to lrf (and save the deDRM'd lit file for later format shift if necessary).

I just would have liked to take advantage of the 100% micropay refund.

Oh, well!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #49
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well... sure it is a gimmick. If your definition of gimmick is: a device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

Yes, that is exactly right. It is just a store credit. Nothing really confusing about it.

BOb
Got it. Then I should only buy from Fictionwise if:

1. I want to pay 50% more for these 2 books but plan on buying $15 more there.
2. I need the Mobipocket/eReader option.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:10 AM   #50
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

BooksOnBoard has them in .lit, ePub, Mobi, and PDF.

Hobbit $7.52
Trilogy $21.83
Trilogy individually $11.29 each

For the sake of avoiding cumbersome DRM I am going to buy there.
Advert
Old 04-20-2009, 12:41 AM   #51
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Prices at BOB apparently just went down...

Hobbit $6.99
Individual Trilogy books $10.49

Trilogy price remains unchanged... for now.

Is there a price war going on?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #52
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Wonderful news to get first thing, a Monday morning The Lord of the Rings is a must-have -- perhaps it's time for a re-read
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:04 AM   #53
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What to do... what to do...? If I buy at Fictionwise I'll get member rebate + micropay rebate, but they only have mobi and ereader formats. Booksonboard have .lit as well, and I need to convert to lrf in any case so it's nice to have the best possible to work from. So is it worth it to get .lit? Ah, well, something to think about for today
Old 04-20-2009, 03:12 AM   #54
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I just bought the epub format direct from Harper Collins UK, handy for my 505 and stanza, would've got lit from Fictionwise if they offered it though
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #55
Ea
Wizard

I prefer the display of lrf over epub on the Reader, so... But it irks me to miss out on a possible 25 usd in Fictionwise micropay rebate
Old 04-20-2009, 03:33 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
There's no reason to think that Harper Collins has the ebook rights. I honestly don't know.
HarperCollins is the publisher of LOTR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:00 AM   #57
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
On stanza.fictionwise.com The Hobbit for $5.00, The Lord of the Rings for $14.50 and The Children of Húrin is for $7.50 only. TAXDAY discount is valid too for 15% discount.
The catch is that you only get 15% rebate.

Last edited by 13xforever; 04-20-2009 at 04:01 AM. Reason: links
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:30 AM   #58
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The Trilogy is #59 in the Kindle Store and The Hobbit #63!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #59
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Is there a price war going on?
This is not very surprising.
LOTR ebooks is big news, and very likely to attract large sales.
You can easily see here how all the prices are exposed in this thread, so people will choose the cheapest and most convenient source.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:59 AM   #60
13xforever
Connoisseur
13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.13xforever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H₂O & iPad Pro 2020 12.9"
Unhappy

Here's some screenshots of eReader version.

Links to illustrations:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.PNG
Views:	371
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	27787

Name:	IMG_0004.PNG
Views:	333
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	27788

Big images (i.e. maps) are really downsized. Personally, I can not make out the text inscribed on them.

Name:	IMG_0006.PNG
Views:	398
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	27789

Name:	IMG_0007.PNG
Views:	365
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	27790

Name:	IMG_0008.PNG
Views:	362
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	27791

Small images looks OK.

Name:	IMG_0009.PNG
Views:	388
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	27792

Name:	IMG_0010.PNG
Views:	368
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	27793

Cover art also of poor quality. Lucky me, Stanza have cover search. Will try it at home.

Name:	IMG_0011.PNG
Views:	353
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	27794

Last edited by 13xforever; 04-20-2009 at 06:10 AM.
13xforever is offline   Reply With Quote