Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-30-2023, 07:35 PM   #1
NurseMary
NurseMary began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Page Turners / Remote For Nook Glowlight 3?

I tried to search and didn't really find any info on the page turner gadgets. Not found any good info on Youtube either so then I found this forum and didn't find any info either. I can't be the only one that has trouble with getting a page turner to work can I?

Anyone using a page turner with any of the nook glowlight readers? I currently have the Glowlight 3 but considering a new Glowlight 4 or 4 Plus. I received a page turner for Christmas from my daughter and it has a device that supposed to clip onto the nook and then you're supposed to be able to turn pages by a remote button. I'm not able to get it to work ( maybe they don't work on the Glowlight 3? ). The remote does work as I verified that by clipping it to my iphone and it does communicate with that.

SO, any tips or advice? Do I need to upgrade to a newer Nook? Do I need to change the remote to a bluetooth one? Any suggestions or tips is appreciated as I'd love to be able to use my new nook holder and the remote page turner while snuggled up under the covers.
NurseMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 03:28 AM   #2
JBaby
Zealot
JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JBaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 11th Gen Paperwhite SE, 2021 iPad Pro 11” & iPhone 11 Pro
I don’t know what page turner you have, but I have the Syukuyu page turner. It requires a device with a capacitive touch screen. I know nothing about Nooks, but maybe this is your issue. 🤷🏾*♀️
JBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2023, 06:07 PM   #3
NurseMary

Thank you for your reply,

I'm not sure what captive touch screen means but my Nook Glowlight 3 has touch screen if that's what you mean by that. I use it to swipe through the pages.. would have thought this remote page turner would work but I can't seem to get it to do anything on my Nook.. works for my phone etc. Wish there was a bit more info on these page turners and nooks. Seems like a lot of info on the Kindle.. maybe excuse to get one of those.. but I like my nook and have a few hundred in gift cards so hate to change it all up now..
Old 12-31-2023, 07:17 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I seem to remember the Glowlight 3 has an infrared screen, so page turners meant for capacitive screens wouldn't work with it. The newer Nooks have capacitive screens, I think.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 09:57 AM   #5
jviscosi
Connoisseur
jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jviscosi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Focus, Nook Glowlight 4/4+, Inkbook Obsidian, Kindle Keyboard
My wife also has the Syukuyu page turner which she uses on her Kindle Voyage. According to the reviews on Amazon it doesn't work with the Glowlight 3, although they say it does work on the Glowlight 4. I could test it out on my GL4+ later and see how it does.

The difference between an infrared touch screen and a capacitive touch screen is that an infrared screen has a bunch of tiny LEDs all around and it figures out where you tapped by watching to see where the pattern of light has been disrupted, whereas a capacitive screen figures out where you tapped it by monitoring changes in its electrical field. I would hazard a guess that none of the page turn remotes will work with an infrared screen because it would probably require a small moving part to simulate physical tapping, sort of like what this person made using a 3D printer:

https://hackaday.com/2018/08/15/a-re...e-page-turner/
jviscosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2024, 02:44 PM   #6
RWTS
Enthusiast
RWTS began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I seem to remember the Glowlight 3 has an infrared screen, so page turners meant for capacitive screens wouldn't work with it. The newer Nooks have capacitive screens, I think.
Out of curiosity, how would I go about finding what technology a screen uses? I did a search and all I can really come up with for the Glowlight 3 is:

"A 6" high-resolution 300-dpi screen with built-in glare- scratch- and fingerprint-resistant lens provides a paper-like reading experience." That's how B&N describes it in specs and what most sites repeat.

PCMag's review states "The 300ppi, 1,448-by-1,072 E Ink Carta screen is the same as Amazon uses on its Paperwhite and more premium products, and it's very readable."

I admit it; I never gave a thought to touchscreen technology until reading this thread. And now I find that spec is hidden away, when it would be good to know.
RWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:08 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
If it's not mentioned in the specs, the only way to know is to read a review by someone who has the device and knows the difference. One needs to use the actual physical device to ascertain the screen type it has, there's nothing visually different between them. A recessed screen is not necessarily the sign of the IR technology, as many capacitive screens are also recessed.

In the case of the Glowlight 3, several actual users mentioned it in various posts here and elsewhere.

Most current ereaders use capacitive screen.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 07:38 PM   #8
RWTS
Enthusiast

Thanks, Sirtel. It's a little frustrating the specs are so hidden. This thread has been very informative. I realized a page turner might be a perfect device for a relative with health/mobility issues and now I know to keep this in mind if I shop for one.
Old 01-01-2024, 08:09 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
From message #17 or 18 in a thread on XDA (https://xdaforums.com/t/nook-glowlig.../post-74464717), the Glowlight 3 has the same IR sensor as the Nook Simple Touch.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 03:45 PM   #10
NurseMary

Wow! thanks to all with the replies to this topic, what a learning experience from reading all the replies. I've been wanting a glowlight 4 anyway because my 3 has been really glitchy for the last few months and thinking it's going to quit soon anyway, so I think I will just order one, now to decide between the Glowlight 4 or Glowlight 4 Plus. Looks like the 4 Plus has bluetooth but the 4 doesn't. They sure don't seem to put much spec. info on the ereaders do they. LOL.

Thank you again everyone
Mary
Old 01-03-2024, 09:51 PM   #11
RWTS
Enthusiast

I don't have a Glowlight 4 or 4 Plus, so can't comment on those devices. I will say that I went from a Simple Touch (6") to a Glowlight 3 (6") to a Glowlight Plus (7.8"). I love the larger screen. Doubt I could ever go back to a smaller eReader.

From what I've read of user experiences on this forum, the GL4 Plus is a big improvement on the older GL Plus. If you can afford the splurge, go for the bigger screen.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:21 PM   #12
NurseMary

Thank you, I think the Glowlight 4 Plus is the one I'll get.. was kind of leaning toward that one, but was concerned about how much larger it is if it weighs a lot more. I found the specs "finally" and it's not too much heavier so I'll just get that one.

Thanks again everyone that has commented.