Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-06-2023, 03:14 PM   #1
fishmans
fishmans began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Considering the GL4e, how is the KOreader experience on nook?

Basically what it says on the tin. Refurbished 4e's are really cheap on amazon at the moment, and while I like my Libra 2 just fine, I've definitely missed having a smaller, more compact option available for travel. I pretty much exclusively use koreader on the libra, and being able to use the progress sync function built into koreader between devices would be essential for me if i were to pick up a secondary device. It would be a total dream to have a 6in device for when I'm traveling for work that can sync progress to the Libra for when I'm at home.

The form factor of the 4e looks absolutely perfect for me, and I've heard whispers of people being able to run koreader decently well on the Glowlight 3, but is there anyone out there that has experience running the 4 or 4e with koreader?
fishmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 08:15 AM   #2
f_coco
f_coco began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad
GL4 uses a Allwinner B300 CPU, which is not support in koreader, which means the full refresh is not supported in koreader.
I'm not sure about GL4e, maybe it use the old freescale CPU.
f_coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I don't know about the 4e, but KOReader runs fine on my Glowlight 4 Plus!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 03:27 AM   #4
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Nook Glowlight 4e
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmans View Post
The form factor of the 4e looks absolutely perfect for me, and I've heard whispers of people being able to run koreader decently well on the Glowlight 3, but is there anyone out there that has experience running the 4 or 4e with koreader?
I'm an owner of Nook Glowlight 4e and KOReader is the my reader of choice for plenty of reasons (see for example my patch for energy-saving suitable for all models of this generation).

My impressions are very good. I also noticed that eInk controlled is not recognized for this model, but so far I had very few cases when ghosting was noticeable. I suspect (my speculation) that the current software stack might use a smart mode that having two consequent screens, handles eInk redrawing more or less correctly. To compare, the bn.ereader app in default circumstances makes a full redraw after about several dozens pages. I might be wrong, but I seem to see the same for KOReader reading experience. But if you don't read without locking for long period of times (ad, ad.. my patch allows use basically not to lock the device at all , no ghosting would survive.
Tialex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:02 AM   #5
Tialex
Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Tialex can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

A little follow-up to my impressions. My only complain to this moment was about screen rotation. I mostly use it for pdfs that was made for A5 size or similar.

KOReader at some moment in the past started to use OS rotation for the screen instead of the one native to the program. It should work if an Android is full-featured normal version. But not on NGL4. The Nook Android is a closed garden, that is supposed to support only bn.ereader app and a specially modified settings app. So I assume they just didn't implement this mechanism properly.

But, as KOReader is a very flexible software, a very simple patch that forces the program to the internal rotation is also available
Advert
Old 11-14-2023, 06:37 PM   #6
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
I was going to put koreader on my Nook GL4, however I heard that the buttons don’t work with koreader on the nook. That’s a deal breaker for me.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 12:05 AM   #7
Tialex

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I was going to put koreader on my Nook GL4, however I heard that the buttons don’t work with koreader on the nook. That’s a deal breaker for me.
The tip mentioned for Glowlight 3 still works for Glowlight 4. In my case, I dedicated the left top button for the global Back (this was made with FDroid's KeyMapper, many prefer root/Magisk method), so I excluded one of the mappings.