Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-18-2023, 05:11 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I've only played with the Glowlight 4 in the store. It's hopefully fine. But my 2015 Glowlight Plus (they shoulda just called it Glowlight 2) and Glowlight 3 are slow.

The reading experience I have no problems with. I enjoy using my Nooks. But the rest of it is pretty slow as you mention.
I MIGHT consider another Nook if
  • the speed was improved
  • the option to fully refresh every page was added
The rest I could live with, although I would very much like custom fonts as well, and more font sizes and more margin options and more line height options and so on and so forth.... I can embed most of those things in my books in a pinch, although I'm not sure the Nook would be worth the bother. They have good hardware, but their software... yeah.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 05:21 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
They have good hardware, but their software... yeah.
Yeah, I get it.

People joke about Kobo programmers secretly visiting the board. Man, I wish some Nook programmers would stop on by.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2023, 05:34 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I get it.

People joke about Kobo programmers secretly visiting the board. Man, I wish some Nook programmers would stop on by.
Me too. I liked my Nook hardware-wise, especially the screen and the buttons, but I had to force myself to actually read on it. A pity. And they haven't changed anything in their software for a very long time, I think... at least not for the better (they changed the font size options for the worse). It's like they don't really care. Plus, they refused to sell me a Nook on their website (because I wasn't in the US), even though Nooks can read sideloaded epubs perfectly well. When I chatted with their customer service about it, they seemed totally indifferent about selling their Nooks.

Nah, I just don't get B&N these days.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:11 PM   #19
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am excited to see what it looks like. To see how big of a fail it is lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2023, 08:12 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah, I get it.

Same. its like they want to fail
Advert
Old 04-18-2023, 08:13 PM   #21
HLS
Wizard

You know, if they can put out a Scribe like item, high quality and market it right they can succeed but they never try to market their devices anymore. They put in no effort to advertise their products
Old 04-18-2023, 08:30 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
You know, if they can put out a Scribe like item, high quality and market it right they can succeed but they never try to market their devices anymore. They put in no effort to advertise their products
There are plenty of people who are not interested in a 10'' ereader. 99% of what I read is fiction and I wouldn't want to do that on anything larger than 8''. Too large and too heavy. So a Scribe-like item wouldn't interest me in the least, while a 7-8'' device would.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:32 PM   #23
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
There are plenty of people who are not interested in a 10'' ereader. 99% of what I read is fiction and I wouldn't want to do that on anything larger than 8''. Too large and too heavy. So a Scribe-like item wouldn't interest me in the least, while a 7-8'' device would.

I hope it will not look like their last 7.8"
Old 04-18-2023, 08:34 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I hope it will not look like their last 7.8"
Why? What was wrong with its looks?
Old 04-19-2023, 11:02 AM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I read that the latest Nook is faster? Is it not true?
I went and read reviews of the Glowlight 4 and yes, it is supposed to be faster than the previous Nooks.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 11:41 AM   #26
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
My experience is that the Glowlight 4 is somewhat faster than previous Nooks. However, third-party reader apps, like MoonReader, are faster on the Glowlight 4 than the Nook UI!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 12:09 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
My experience is that the Glowlight 4 is somewhat faster than previous Nooks. However, third-party reader apps, like MoonReader, are faster on the Glowlight 4 than the Nook UI!
That's to be expected, as the Nook software is obviously badly optimized (other brands with the same specs are faster). The problem is, I'm not a fan of most Android reading apps and I don't want to spend time on rooting (not a familiar process for me, I've never bothered to root my phones) or on getting the buttons to work properly in those apps (I've read they don't just work in 3rd party apps by default). So I'm not going to buy another Nook unless they considerably improve their software. But it's nice to know they've managed to up the speed, at least somewhat.
Old 04-19-2023, 12:49 PM   #28
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
That's to be expected, as the Nook software is obviously badly optimized (other brands with the same specs are faster). The problem is, I'm not a fan of most Android reading apps and I don't want to spend time on rooting (not a familiar process for me, I've never bothered to root my phones) or on getting the buttons to work properly in those apps (I've read they don't just work in 3rd party apps by default). So I'm not going to buy another Nook unless they considerably improve their software. But it's nice to know they've managed to up the speed, at least somewhat.
I can't blame you for your reluctance to buy another Nook, given where you are coming from. You can install third party apps (and a third party launcher, so you can find the apps) easily enough, without root. If you want those page turn buttons to work on those apps, then things get either challenging or frustrating, depending on your perspective. B&N codes the buttons in an unusual way. Because of this, third party apps, looking for the usual coding, can't find the buttons. You need to root the Glowlight 4 to change the coding. But, if you do that, the buttons no longer work in the Nook UI. You can set up (through a button mapper app) something where a button click is interpreted as a tap on a specific location of the display, making it a page turn button once again in the Nook UI.

Of course, once you've put in the time and effort to set up this system, the next Nook update usually removes root, so you have to re-root to restore your setup. You can block updates, but that's more time and effort. Then there's the dreaded storage partitioning issue. Getting Calibre set up. And so on.

I was willing to do all this as a way of learning more about how my device and Android work, and for the satisfaction of setting up my device as I wanted it to be. But looking at all this now, I wonder why I put in all that time and effort when I could have bought another device that would have given me the same thing with much less effort! Nevertheless, the learning was fun, even if aggravating at times.

After all that, I still like my Glowlight 4. I find that I prefer a larger display, which I have in my Boox Leaf 2 (7 inches), so I use my GL4 less these days.

Nevertheless... if the new, potentially larger Nook catches my interest, I might do the same thing with it!!! Incorrigible...
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:44 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I like the UI on the Nook. I like the six large covers in library view more than Kobo's eight small covers, for instance. In general, I like how the Nook's software looks. Though a change to the home page to get rid of the recommendations strip would be nice.

Series and shelf control via Calibre would be great too. But that's not UI.
That's the underlying code allowing access to the database or not. And B&N has chosen not to allow access.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2023, 01:46 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
They have good hardware, but their software... yeah.
Their software is on par with the current Kindle firmware (that bad).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote