Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 11-20-2021, 01:44 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I don't think I'll ever buy another Nook, unless they come out with something truly innovative.
No matter what B&N does with the hardware, unless they really up the software, it's still going to be a dud.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:28 PM   #32
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I think I expressed myself badly. I'm not a typography nut; by being fussy about fonts and layout I meant being able to use a specific sideloaded font and customize things like losing header and footer. Those things you can do even on a Kindle, but not on a Nook.
Withe last last few software updates, you can turn the footer off. But I don't think you get an extra line of text. It is just off.

Quote:
I realize all this sounds like nitpicking. As I said, I have a specific set of preferences and without being able to use several of my preferences on the Nook, I feel constant frustration every time I read on the Nook. Low-key frustration, but still. At first I thought I would get over it, but I didn't. It's like a minor toothache.
No worries. I'm not trying to sell you a Nook. Was just replying to what I understood of your comments.

I don't notice any deterioration without page refresh, but I am likely just not sensitive to it. I still enjoy reading on a Nook ST with a Pearl screen at 800X600. I clearly don't have the highest standards
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 02:29 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No matter what B&N does with the hardware, unless they really up the software, it's still going to be a dud.
I do wish/hope that they really pay attention to the software. The fact that they are still pushing updates to the older models is hopefully a positive sign. I'd love to see B&N back in the competition.
Old 11-20-2021, 02:38 PM   #34
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Withe last last few software updates, you can turn the footer off. But I don't think you get an extra line of text. It is just off.
Thanks. I haven't seen this, but then the last time I read on my Nook was several months ago. I guess it's better than nothing.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:44 PM   #35
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't notice any deterioration without page refresh, but I am likely just not sensitive to it. I still enjoy reading on a Nook ST with a Pearl screen at 800X600. I clearly don't have the highest standards
Heh yeah. We all did once, and put up with terrible layouts, a couple of fonts and a handful of font sizes, bad contrast and so on. I read on my basic nontouch Kindles for years. But then I wasn't spoiled yet and didn't know any better.

I still charge those two old basics and look at their screens every time I do. I couldn't read on them now to save my life. Well, perhaps only to save my life, or if I had absolutely no access to anything else.

Paper books would still be even worse.
Advert
Old 11-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I haven't noticed it either. Maybe the Glowlight 3 is different from the Glowlight Plus (6.8") here? Or maybe Sirtel has a defective Glowlight Plus?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 02:50 PM   #37
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I haven't noticed it either. Maybe the Glowlight 3 is different from the Glowlight Plus (6.8") here? Or maybe Sirtel has a defective Glowlight Plus?
It's not a defect. It's apparent on any eink reader I've ever used, be it Kindle, Kobo or Nook.

As I said, most people seem to be completely blind to it for some strange reason... but I can't not see it. Possibly it's my eyes that are defective.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-20-2021 at 02:52 PM. Reason: clumsy fingers
Old 11-20-2021, 03:00 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
It's not a defect. It's apparent on any eink reader I've ever used, be it Kindle, Kobo or Nook.

As I said, most people seem to be completely blind to it for some strange reason... but I can't not see it. Possibly it's my eyes that are defective.
I did a quick Google search and (apparently) there is an add-in to set up page refresh the page on these Nooks, so apparently you're not alone. I think all my modern eReaders are set to "never refresh."

Found the little video (but not the discussion about it yet)...

https://vimeo.com/341652208

It looks like it's using KoReader, however.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 02:07 PM   #39
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I think we all have very definite ideas about what we want. It's not as if we're changing the settings every five minutes. Having a free choice of fonts is important, even if you set it once. I never used the B&N stock reader, I had a reader that allowed whatever font you wanted with a wide range of sizes, approximately 9% (ok, 9.05%=exp(ln(2)/8)) difference between (geometric) steps in a range from 1/2 to 2. i.e. 17 steps.

On my Onyx Poke3 I don't have any refresh problems. If I did, I could throw a full refesh button on my remote.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 05:21 PM   #40
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Found the little video (but not the discussion about it yet)...

https://vimeo.com/341652208

It looks like it's using KoReader, however.
It's also upside down

That u button at the top should be an n button on the bottom.
Old 11-25-2021, 06:01 AM   #41
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I think the time has come to sell my Nook and to give up on B&N altogether. So far I was reluctant to do it, because my Nook was the only reader over 7'' I had, and the contrast was very good even without full refresh. But one of the recent updates really f-d up the contrast. The text is now grey instead of black, and even hopping between books doesn't help anymore. I know they released a supposed fix for the grey font issue, but either I haven't gotten it or it just didn't fix anything, because my text is still grey with both default fonts and the publisher option, and no amount of tinkering has changed this. I've gotten at least two updates after the grey font one, so I'm really at my wit's end now. And furious.

I'm not going to bother with downgrading. I'll just sell it. Big thumbs-down, B&N.

Sorry for venting in the new Nook thread. I apologize.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #42
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
The thing about contrast is that without full refresh every page the contrast deteriorates quickly (on any ereader). Right after full refresh on the Nook the difference in contrast wasn't that significant; a couple of pages in and the contrast on the Nook was considerably poorer than on the Sage (which is set to refresh every page).
The font grows increasingly less dark as you turn pages? That sounds like a hardware fault. I had that on a Nook ST. The only way to fix it was to force a full page refresh.

Edit: On the Nook ST, tapping the power button forced a full screen refresh and made the text solid and dark again.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 11-25-2021 at 07:56 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 AM   #43
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
The font grows increasingly less dark as you turn pages? That sounds like a hardware fault. I had that on a Nook ST. The only way to fix it was to force a full page refresh.
It does that on other eink readers too. In fact, on any eink reader I've used. Unless I just hallucinate it, which isn't totally impossible.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:17 AM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
You might want to do a search on eink and ghosting. The newer eInk displays with their Regal waveform are less susceptible to ghosting but you will still need to do the white-black-white refresh every so often.

DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 02:27 AM   #45
rhyta
Enthusiast
rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhyta ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ST Nook w/Glowlight (2)
Quote:
I won't believe it until GoodEReader has a story about it!
Here you go http://https://goodereader.com/blog/...ut-in-december
rhyta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook