Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 PM   #46
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Ah, I see why you're not trying to resolve this with the seller. Their warranty is apparently only good for 24-hours. Says right there in the listing: "All product guaranteed against DOA (Dead On Arrival.) Short-shipments, DOA (Dead On Arrival) and Deviations must be reported within 24 hours from delivered date." Since your Aura didn't die until a few days later, you were pretty much screwed with the seller and tried to con Kobo with your "It was a gift" ruse.

Well, hopefully you learned your lesson to only buy from reputable retailers instead of one of the many fly-by-not operations that live on eBay.

it actually says.

Manufacturer: KOBO
Mfg Part No.: N514-KU-BK-K-EP
Condition: Open-Box
Shipping & Handling to Continental USA: FREE
Shipping & Handling to Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii: $65.00
Warranty (contact for full details): 90 Days
Kobo Aura (N514-KU-BK-K-EP) 6-inch 4GB Digital eReader With WiFi

best wishes koboy
Old 09-17-2015, 01:12 AM   #47
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
it actually says.

Manufacturer: KOBO
Mfg Part No.: N514-KU-BK-K-EP
Condition: Open-Box
Shipping & Handling to Continental USA: FREE
Shipping & Handling to Alaska, Puerto Rico and Hawaii: $65.00
Warranty (contact for full details): 90 Days
Kobo Aura (N514-KU-BK-K-EP) 6-inch 4GB Digital eReader With WiFi

best wishes koboy
It actually says:

Shipping:
FREE Expedited Shipping | See details

Item location:
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, United States

Ships to:
United States See exclusions
Delivery:
On or before Tue. Sep. 22 to ***** Estimated by eBay FAST 'N FREE
help icon for Estimated delivery date - opens a layer
Payments:
PayPal Visa/MasterCard, Amex, Discover
Credit Cards processed by PayPal
PayPal Credit
New PayPal Credit customers get $10 back on 1st purchase Apply Now
- opens in a new window or tab
| See Terms
See
payment
details
Returns:
Hassle-free returns | Learn more
14 days money back or replacement, you pay return shipping
Guarantee:
Money Back Guarantee | See details
Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
Covers your purchase price and original shipping.
Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 01:13 AM   #48
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, my bad. It actually says:

People were also interested in

Kobo Aura 4GB, Wi-Fi, 6in - Black Kobo Aura 4GB, Wi-Fi, 6in - Black $109.00 Buy It Now

Kobo Aura eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 4 GB Black Touchscreen from Japan New Kobo Aura eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 4 GB Black... $109.20 Buy It Now or Best offer

Almost gone
Kobo Glo eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 2 GB Black Touchscreen from Japan New Kobo Glo eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 2 GB Black... $99.80 Buy It Now

Kobo Aura eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 4 GB Pink Touchscreen from Japan New Kobo Aura eReader Wi-Fi 6'' 4 GB Pink... $111.48 Buy It Now or Best offer

New Kobo eReader Touch WiFi 6" 2 GB N905 - Lilac Lavender New Kobo eReader Touch WiFi 6" 2 GB... $48.95 Buy It Now Free shipping

Almost gone
Kobo Touch eReader 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6" -, Lilac, Blue,Black, White, Silver Kobo Touch eReader 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6" -, Lilac,... $50.95 Buy It Now Free shipping

Popular
NEW Kobo eReader Touch 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6" -Black, Lilac, Blue, White, Silver NEW Kobo eReader Touch 2GB, Wi-Fi, 6"... $49.95 Buy It Now Free shipping

Popular
Old 09-17-2015, 01:17 AM   #49
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Please give the rep some time! Your case doesn't seem to be the norm, so there will be some internal escalation necessary. This is very similar for all companies, some being more agile than others. Over here, your sales rep is the one you need to address your complaint to, not the manufacturer. That still holds true for Amazon, ebay, and other similar market places.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:20 AM   #50
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Smile

I stand by eBay sellers it is a valid commerce site. I am both a seller and buyer in eBay.

Blurred lines are referring to brick mirror and distribution channels.

Define warranty per Kobo
"period of one (1) year from the date of original retail purchase"

If my interpretation fails to allow for eBay sellers as a valid seller and disqualifies eBay sellers as "retail"

Define "retail"
"(1. the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.
"the product's retail price")

The item technically was on sale, as suggested retail MSRP is $99.00

Lol

I find the whole thing amusing. I am not even mad. I am eligible for a warranty return from the reseller. No problem

Manufacturing defect is within one year.

And TECHNICALLY I can purchase for way less than $99 because of USD VS CAN exchange rate. Free shipping. Etc.

I have a defective Kobo and tried to get support and warranty support.

No worries. Enjoy your Kobos. I unfortunately will not be able to as mine is defective.

Advert
Old 09-17-2015, 01:28 AM   #51
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
I stand by eBay sellers it is a valid commerce site. I am both a seller and buyer in eBay.

Blurred lines are referring to brick mirror and distribution channels.

Define warranty per Kobo
"period of one (1) year from the date of original retail purchase"

If my interpretation fails to allow for eBay sellers as a valid seller and disqualifies eBay sellers as "retail"

Define "retail"
"(1. the sale of goods to the public in relatively small quantities for use or consumption rather than for resale.
"the product's retail price")
I can quote the dictionary too, watch me!

Define "original"
  1. present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.
    "the original owner of the house"

Now if you wish to continue to be disingenuous, go right ahead.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 AM   #52
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Smile ;) Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I can quote the dictionary too, watch me!

Define "original"
  1. present or existing from the beginning; first or earliest.
    "the original owner of the house"

Now if you wish to continue to be disingenuous, go right ahead.
LOL
You really put a smile on my face with that one.. I owe you a beer! lol

"original"
My point being it is NOT my responsibility to provide a manifest from the "reseller" and "Kobo distributor". I was asked to do so. I don't defend "brick and mortar" establishments.. that time is long gone. More agile direct methods of merchandising aka retailing exist today.

I provided an original receipt from my reseller. You obviously seem to have contention with my defined terms of a reseller. I was also offended by the Kobo Rep for accusing me of falsifying the original receipt. Snide comments like anyone can fake anything online... again the theme of disrespecting the customer and regarding the customer in contempt.

knock-knock the "customer" is providing you a salary indirectly by the support of your products.

The responses i have read in this thread are frankly wonderful. They display the lively interpretation that is widely disparate; the basis of which are discriminatory and or because of national consumer law that is indigenous to the poster. I hold no grudge to anyone on this forum except to those who base themselves and result to personal attacks.. such actions are liable more likely due to negligence of local law not of malice in forethought.. as I presume in your favor.
;-)

I appreciate the openness of this community as it also brings out the self-less nature to assist a fellow e-reader and a "new" Kobo user.

I would still love to give Kobo an opportunity for me to be a life long supporter of Kobo. I am just a bit disenfranchised of such opportunity.

Of note..

Kindle offers e-reader registration online and tracks that.
Sony had as well via Adobe DRM management.
Kobo does not.

Kindle and Sony offer password protection.
Kobo does not.

The later is a security concern being able to buy books online with an e-reader device. But I only purchased free books from Kobo, I didn't have the opportunity to purchase anything on the Aura.. it crashed and froze before I could.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:16 AM   #53
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Let's say that I buy a Kobo e-reader. I use it for 12 months, then decide I would rather a Kindle. But Kindle's are quite expensive. So I reset it to factory defaults, update the firmware, wrap it up to look like its new, put in on ebay and advertise it for sale as new but open box. You buy it. I send you a receipt. What should Kobo do when it fails and you claim warranty?

Vary the scenario slightly. My employer is getting out of selling Kobo's and sells me his last 10 at 50% retail. I keep them in the garage for 12 months, then put them on ebay describing them as new, still in original packaging, never opened. You buy it. I give you a receipt for your payment. What should Kobo do if you now claim warranty?

I am not a Kobo dealer, so how can Kobo distinguish between the two situations?
Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 AM   #54
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
LOL
You really put a smile on my face with that one.. I owe you a beer! lol

"original"
My point being it is NOT my responsibility to provide a manifest from the "reseller" and "Kobo distributor". I was asked to do so. I don't defend "brick and mortar" establishments.. that time is long gone. More agile direct methods of merchandising aka retailing exist today.
I don't understand how you can make a connection between the agile nature of internet sales, and third-party sales by people who aren't affiliated with Kobo.

Quote:
I provided an original receipt from my reseller. You obviously seem to have contention with my defined terms of a reseller.
I think many people have a problem with your definition of "Officially licensed Kobo reseller" --> "reseller".

Quote:
I was also offended by the Kobo Rep for accusing me of falsifying the original receipt. Snide comments like anyone can fake anything online... again the theme of disrespecting the customer and regarding the customer in contempt.
Now, I must agree that is exceedingly odd. I thought the problem was that you had no receipt (for the purpose of which, an ebay receipt is not a Kobo receipt and thus might as well not exist).

Quote:
knock-knock the "customer" is providing you a salary indirectly by the support of your products.
You have a funny way of showing it.

Now, if only every company would have that attitude -- the one where the customer can be as abusive as s/he likes, because the retailer *needs* him/her.
I can only imagine the chaos that would ensue.

Quote:
The responses i have read in this thread are frankly wonderful. They display the lively interpretation that is widely disparate; the basis of which are discriminatory and or because of national consumer law that is indigenous to the poster. I hold no grudge to anyone on this forum except to those who base themselves and result to personal attacks.. such actions are liable more likely due to negligence of local law not of malice in forethought.. as I presume in your favor.
;-)
You mentioned the law before too. And I'm afraid I still don't see your angle.
Is there a law against being critical about an action another has performed?
For that matter, is there a law against being as calculatedly insulting as one can possibly manage to be, for the sheer fun of it? (Granted, there are MobileRead laws against that, but MobileRead is a privately owned benevolent dictatorship.)

"because of national consumer law that is indigenous to the poster" -- I don't know what country you live in, as your profile doesn't specify. But I don't know of any country that would hold Kobo responsible for a sale they didn't make.

Quote:
I appreciate the openness of this community as it also brings out the self-less nature to assist a fellow e-reader and a "new" Kobo user.
Many new Kobo users find a friendly and selfless community of cheerful users who help them however they can. Of course, said newbies don't start attacking Kobo on groundless charges, and decrying them at length.

Quote:
I would still love to give Kobo an opportunity for me to be a life long supporter of Kobo. I am just a bit disenfranchised of such opportunity.

Of note..

Kindle offers e-reader registration online and tracks that.
Sony had as well via Adobe DRM management.
Kobo does not.

Kindle and Sony offer password protection.
Kobo does not.

The later is a security concern being able to buy books online with an e-reader device. But I only purchased free books from Kobo, I didn't have the opportunity to purchase anything on the Aura.. it crashed and froze before I could.
Even without a password, the worst a thief can do is buy books and become well-read at your expense. I don't consider that a risky proposition.
And you can always call Customer Service and have the purchases refunded.
Does Kobo email you a receipt for your ebook purchases? I know Amazon does... so you'd know it was stolen, anyway.
Old 09-17-2015, 03:44 AM   #55
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Aura
Can we stop arguing like little kids and have some constructiveness brought back into the thread? If not I would like to request that the mods lock this. The thread being open encourages people to continue arguing and whining over essentially nothing.

The rep that reached out to the forum has supposedly been contacted, tvuongpham has repeatedly stated what he dislikes about Kobo customer service and Kobo Products and Services, we as a community can not contribute to this thread at all since we can not resolve his issue in any way, shape or form. Thus, there's no point in the thread remaining open.

This turned from a rant to outright flaming, like the old times on the Interwebz...

We're all intelligent people, let's act as such.

Last edited by Diruuo; 09-17-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:13 AM   #56
peterwardgd
Addict
peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterwardgd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura
Cmon tvuongpham, people have taken time out of their day to try and help you and this is what happens. Reading between the lines you seem to have some other issues going on as well as this, i hope you can resolve them soon buddy. Good luck out there.

Also i've remedied this.

Last edited by peterwardgd; 09-17-2015 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:57 AM   #57
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
I don't understand why you not simply use the return warranty the ebay reseller gave you. That is the proper way to do it. Without the original proof of purchase (which a reseller could send to you, many private ebay resellers do this as proof) you are lost. This is a second market product, no spinning of you will change that.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #58
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I recently bought a Kobo Aura HD from a seller on Amazon. It was new in sealed box. It has been working just fine. I don't think I would have the right to contact Kobo about warranty issues, though, since I didn't buy it from Kobo. Am I wrong? I kind of think when I buy from a third party seller such as Amazon or ebay, that I am on my own. I might try to contact Kobo if I experienced a hardware problem, but I would not hold my breath or hold on to expectations that they would do anything. The same goes with any device, with the exception of the new, sealed Fire Phone I got on ebay. Amazon is in a different class. I wouldn't expect to find other device makers to be the same as Amazon in that respect.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:16 AM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I recently bought a Kobo Aura HD from a seller on Amazon. It was new in sealed box. It has been working just fine. I don't think I would have the right to contact Kobo about warranty issues, though, since I didn't buy it from Kobo. Am I wrong?
No, you're not wrong. Your contract is with the seller, not the manufacturer.
Old 09-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #60
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
EBay is in no way a retailer.
Someone else purchased it at an authorized retailer, then put it on eBay. You bought a secondhand device.
I mean if I was to buy a bread machine from say Goodwill, I get it home and discover the mixing blade is missing, I cannot call the manufacturer and yell and scream I want a new bread machine.

Or if I was to sell my bread machine to eschwartz, that automatically voids the warranty.
That is clearly stated in the manual.

And why didn't you just contact the seller.
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, kobo aura, kobo sucks