Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 04:53 PM   #1
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kindle Paperwhite 2nd gen, Kindle KB (dead) PRS-T1, PRS 350
Thumbs down New Kobo User becomes burned EX-Kobo user aka KOBO is horrible

I tried. I really truly did.

To make things clear. If your hardware vendor of a consumer product is out through such a grilling process ... That is beyond acceptable. As a consumer of a semi-disposable electronic device, which is in fact a potential money maker for kobo bookstore. I am insulted.

I have my consumer rights and a hardware manufacture has their right to limit product liability.

I originally told kobo I received this item as a gift. Yes a gift to myself. I am entitled to privacy of where I choose to purchase something. It is not stolen.

Kobo corporation chooses to put their customers on the defensive and give them hostile customer service. Too many hoops.

If they, Kobo had a better device registration system like Amazon they can blacklist device my MAC address. The device MAC Addreas could be white or blacklisted as previous registered, stolen or what have you. Instead do to INEFFICIENT, ineffective system programs of device mangement. There is no true cloud management of devices en mass.

Outsourcing customer service to the Carribean islands also shows the "bottom line" operations approach to product and end user experience.

Grade F
How could this have been better lol think about the benchmark Amazon has created.

I wanted to support Kobo but it looks like I will be buying another kindle as Sony is out of the ereader business. For its date the ereader application the PRS- 5 series is way better than the Kobo. Although font control is a better but buggy experience for Kobo. The core book reading experience even with k-ePub is still buggy.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:38 PM   #2
Diruuo
Enthusiast
Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.Diruuo is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Aura
You already posted this in the other thread, what is the purpose of repeating yourself, essentially repeating posts within the forum?

If you are SO unhappy then stop using the devices and service. Many of us are still happy customers. While I appreciate feedback and participation, be it negative or positive, you're starting to fill the forum with the same old thing which is simply not constructive.

I wish you all the best and may you find the ereader best suited to your needs and requirements. Good luck!
Advert
Old 09-15-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I really have no idea what the OP is talking about. I'm guessing there's some context to his rant that I'm not familiar with.
Old 09-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I really have no idea what the OP is talking about. I'm guessing there's some context to his rant that I'm not familiar with.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=264864
Old 09-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
They bought a greymarket open box device, lied about it being a "gift", and threw a tantrum because Kobo is requesting a receipt and a first-born son. No, wait, just a receipt.

And Kobo is still trying to help. More power to them.
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks. This seems to be the most salient post:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=32

In short, the OP bought a Kobo Aura from eBay that was explicitly advertised as "open box". The device failed after a few hours of use. He contacted Kobo customer service who did everything they could to help him despite his treating the customer service reps with contempt. Then when they asked him to produce a receipt for his purchase to ensure that the device was within the warranty period, he became downright hostile because fly-by-night sellers on eBay apparently don't issue receipts (I'm shocked).

So, OP, did you ever contact the seller and try and resolve the issue with them? Or did you just immediately cop an attitude with Kobo? Frankly, I can't imagine another company treating you any differently if you tried to get warranty work done on a device purchased from a questionable seller, especially when you don't have a proof of purchase.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
tvuongpham
Banned
tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tvuongpham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
They bought a greymarket open box device, lied about it being a "gift", and threw a tantrum because Kobo is requesting a receipt and a first-born son. No, wait, just a receipt.

And Kobo is still trying to help. More power to them.
HOW DARE YOU CALL ME A LIAR.
IF I CHOOSE TO GIFT IT TO MYSELF I AM ENTITLED TO REMAIN PRIVATE

DONT BE A FOOL AND CAVE IN TO YOUR PRIVACY.
JUST GO AHEAD

I fully documented my purchase and am in my rights.
All digital receipts provided to KOBO.
Kobo wanted receipt from my buyer and kobo. That is absurd.
I have full return ability from reseller NO QUESTIONS.

You fail to see I tried in earnest to make kobo work. Fail for kobo
Grey market. Nope.
Assume much?
No tantrum. I don't handle "ignorance or stupidity " very well

Last edited by tvuongpham; 09-16-2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:22 PM   #8
tvuongpham
Banned

Some helpful kobo users on this public forum. Some pretty filled with assumptions

Granted I completely compared my end user experience against Sony and Amazon sorry kobo fell short. But in your little universe kobo is awesome, not so in mine. Lol
Old 09-16-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I trust you saw the post over in your other thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameerH View Post
Hi Tvuongpham,

Sounds like you are very frustrated with your recent Kobo purchase and experience. I'm very sorry about that, it's not the impression we strive to make. Please contact me at shasan at kobo dot com with your ticket number and I will see if we can make this right.

Thanks so much for trying us out, hope that we can get you up and running ASAP.

Sameer
Old 09-16-2015, 12:41 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It seems entirely reasonable for any manufacturer to require proof of the original purchase date before undertaking a warranty repair.
Old 09-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuongpham View Post
Granted I completely compared my end user experience against Sony and Amazon sorry kobo fell short.
Really? So both Sony and Amazon will provide warranty services on products purchased from questionable sources without a proof of purchase? That's pretty impressive (although I doubt it's true).

Quote:
All digital receipts provided to KOBO.
Kobo wanted receipt from my buyer and kobo. That is absurd.
I don't think an eBay transaction counts as a "digital receipt", especially when the product was advertised as "open box" and the seller can not provide the original bill of sale. In that case, the issue is between you and the seller and not between you and the original manufacturer.

Asking for original proof of purchase is standard practice at most companies for any warranty repair and is in no way absurd. In fact, Kobo's warranty says, "[Your] eReader must be shipped, prepaid and insured by you, in its original packaging, together with proof of purchase (i.e., a dated purchase or gift receipt)..."

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-16-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've not looked at my H2O to see if there is a date of manufacture, but one some electronics (like my computer monitor) have a date of manufacture printed on them someplace and as long as the warranty is good from the date of manufacture, you don't need a receipt. I had a monitor fail and I did not have the receipt, but because the date of manufacture was on the monitor and it was still within the warranty period, I was able to get it serviced.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:39 PM   #13
incumbent
Opinionator
incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.incumbent ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD / iPad Mini Retina • iBooks (macOS, iOS) & Marvin
Quote:
Outsourcing customer service to the Carribean islands also shows the "bottom line" operations approach to product and end user experience.
Do you speak Japanese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Really? So both Sony and Amazon will provide warranty services on products purchased from questionable sources without a proof of purchase? That's pretty impressive (although I doubt it's true).
Not a chance. At least in the case of Sony, they absolutely refuse to touch anything grey-market.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:55 PM   #14
tvuongpham
Banned

Allow me to clear things up.
No questions about where item purchased. All documents provided multiple times digitally to kobo. After which I was falsely accused that the docs are forged. Furthermore nothing in online warranty from kobo.com excludes any dealer. I am a consumer I do not need to find "authenticity" stickers prior to purchasing.

But I will need to adjust my expectations based in experience. I will not support Kobo based on such experience.

Please refrain from liable comments. That would be false and a costly matter if sued for defamation of character.

Again. Please get your facts straight. I cannot deal with a company that distrusts their customers. EVEN AFTER ALL DOCUMENTS ARE INORDER.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Will you at least have the courtesy to acknowledge the offer of assistance from Sameer?
Closed Thread

Tags
customer service, kobo aura, kobo sucks