Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 PM   #16
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
How do ensure it's in landscape mode? Do you assume that the reader will be used in portrait, and so you rotate the picture? Note that:

(a) Some users might prefer reading in landscape mode. If they encounter an image that would naturally fit the landscape screen but doesn't because it's rotated... well, it looks silly.

(b) Some readers can automatically change the display orientation when the device is physically rotated. So, if you force the user to rotate the device in order to see an image, the display could rotate again, starting an eternal loop and annoying the user.

I suggest you just include the map in its natural orientation, with a resolution that's not too large but still allows reading the labels, and let the device handle rotation, zooming, etc. Not all devices have those features, of course, but there's no reason why they shouldn't.
You can't prepare for every scenario; someone is bound to be disappointed. I made my choice after asking advice from folk here on MR, and asking several people with Nooks, Kindles, iPads, and my own Sony to test drive different trial books. As for auto-orientation in readers, that (I'm told) can be easily controlled. My own readers don't do it, so I took people's word for that.

If I followed the suggestion of just including the map in its natural orientation, people reading in portrait mode (I suspect the majority) would see such a tiny full map as to make it useless.

I'm sure all this will improve with newer developments.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #17
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post

I really hope that publishers figure out a way to render maps - along with the ability to quickly get to that map and back again without losing your page...
If the EPUB spec could append Graphics (Maps, charts) to the TOC display mechanism, that allows a easy out and back to your read point.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
If the EPUB spec could append Graphics (Maps, charts) to the TOC display mechanism, that allows a easy out and back to your read point.
Good point. I wonder if its possible to force a map into the TOC in Calibre?
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #19
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
Good point. I wonder if its possible to force a map into the TOC in Calibre?
Yes, it is. In Dragon Space, I used a text header to the map as the anchor point.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:54 PM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Yes, it is. In Dragon Space, I used a text header to the map as the anchor point.
That functions, but that is not what I intended.

That make the current (chapter?) focus onto the map. I need to re-change focus (select) the original chapter and find my old place (bookmarks don't function on books with spaces in their path names on my device)

By putting the Map into the 'guide' button (Menu button controls the readers features), I see the TOC. If I Do Not navigate to a new location, exiting the guide, returns me to my place.

I wish that Maps (and any Glossary) could be treated the same (or like a footnote with a return. Unfortunately, Maps usually need to return to anywhere they were called from).

What is currently allowed in the NCX file is very limited.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #21
SkookumPete
Enthusiast
SkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavensSkookumPete is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle
On the Kindle, if the reader zooms on an image, it will be turned sideways to appear in landscape mode, if that increases the size. I can't speak for other devices.
SkookumPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
That functions, but that is not what I intended.

That make the current (chapter?) focus onto the map. I need to re-change focus (select) the original chapter and find my old place (bookmarks don't function on books with spaces in their path names on my device)

By putting the Map into the 'guide' button (Menu button controls the readers features), I see the TOC. If I Do Not navigate to a new location, exiting the guide, returns me to my place.

I wish that Maps (and any Glossary) could be treated the same (or like a footnote with a return. Unfortunately, Maps usually need to return to anywhere they were called from).
Ah, I see what you're saying. No, that's not something I would know how to do. However, many readers do have a Back button, which theoretically takes you back to the previous location before you made a jump. (Somewhat unreliably, in my experience.)
Old 08-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #23
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I find that even in paper books I hardly look at the maps. A quick glance and then on to the story. Sometimes they add to the story, but usually I find it better to create my own map in my mind while reading.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #24
Caleb666
Zealot
Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Caleb666 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2 64GB
On the iPad you can usually tap on maps/diagrams and get an enlarged version without losing your location on the page. So publishers could just include a larger resolution image whose full glory you can see once it's enlarged.
Caleb666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 02:24 PM   #25
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
I sometimes read history books.

In books about specific wars, for example WW2 or the U.S. Civil War, the map rendering on ebooks is beyond terrible. Since the text invariably is describing parts of battles and the positions of the opposing forces, a way to see the detail is necessary. In hardcovers these maps are invariably well done or at least adequate. In paperbacks rarely adequate. In ebooks, deplorable.

While there may be methods to bring the level of maps in ebooks up to adequate, I think the chance of publishers going out of the way to do so is currently slim to none. Especially since proofing ebooks seems to be too much to ask.

Which makes Jeffrey Carver's efforts so commendable for his books.
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #26
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb666 View Post
On the iPad etc.
On the iPad it's possible to make an epub producer cry blood while simultaneously becoming blind when seeing what kind of sourcecode they actually declare as epub content (so I read)
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
illustrations, maps