Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-21-2024, 08:33 PM   #1
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Latest Glowlight 4 Plus update: USB debugging is password protected!

I'm starting this thread to bring to more people's attention something that @gforgiraffe39935 pointed out in another thread.

It has been possible to enable USB debugging - and thus enable ADB access, the ability to sideload launchers and apps, and to root the device - by finding a door that B&N left unlocked. On my Glowlight 4 Plus, I click my name on the upper left of the display, select App Settings, then on the bottom right, tap th arrow to bring me to page 2, then tap About. A few quick taps on the Nook icon just above "Check For System Update" brings up a new window with options such as "Android Development Settings" and "Allow Debugging". Either option would allow me to enable USB debugging.

Now, however, tapping on either option brings up a popup window asking me for a password. A password that I do not know. No, it's not my account password!

Because I already have another launcher installed, I can access development settings in another way, This change won't affect me. However, anyone from now on who buys a Glowlight 4 Plus (and other EInk Nooks?) will not be able to enable USB debugging unless the password can be found or some other way can be found to circumvent this.

Most users might not even notice this, but it is another missed and bungled opportunity for B&N and Nook. What they should be doing is getting more use out of their Android firmware, not less. They could easily up the hardware just a bit, give it a newer version of Android, and offer a curated app store with apps that are certified to work well with the EInk Nooks. That would give Nook a niche market that neither Kindle nor Kobo has. But no...

So... is it possible to get around the new password requirement for the sake of people who may buy Nooks in the near future? Is it possible that the folks at Nook might see the light - or even a little light - someday?
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:34 PM   #2
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Since your Nook is already rooted, perhaps you'll be able to find where the password is stored at some point?
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 09:40 AM   #3
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Since your Nook is already rooted, perhaps you'll be able to find where the password is stored at some point?
My Nook is not rooted. Root was not necessary to access ADB or install apps. If my Nook were rooted, I very likely could find out where the password is stored. In order to root, I would need a copy of boot.img for the Glowlight 4 Plus, but I don't have one (yet). If anyone knows how I can get boot.img, kindly let me know!
Old 03-22-2024, 10:31 AM   #4
nmyshkin
Enthusiast
nmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheesenmyshkin can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook Simple Touch (2), Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight (2)
B&N developer 1: "I've found something else that doesn't need fixing!"

B&N developer 2: "Great! Let's break it."

If I had ever even slightly entertained the thought of trading one of my NST serial numbers for a discount on a 4e, that pretty much says it all.
nmyshkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:48 AM   #5
catlipsx
catlipsx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook glowlight 4, ridipaper pro, onyx palma
I'm having the same problem on GL4

Hey I'm having the same issue with nook glowlight 4.
I was wondering if you have any boot.img for GL4 model?
I really want to install ADB but I can't because of this password problem
catlipsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:41 AM   #6
downeaster59
Wizard

As for the GL4, I have one as well. The boot.img that you might find elsewhere in this Nook forum won't work. I tried it in the hope that I could root my GL4 and solve the password issue that way. You'll need the boot.img from a more recent update.zip. If Renate or anyone else knows where to find such an animal, much obliged!
Old 03-27-2024, 01:29 PM   #7
catlipsx
catlipsx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook glowlight 4, ridipaper pro, onyx palma
I hope somebody finds it… I really need to root this device to read Korean books with android apps. I hope there's a solution to this situation soon! Thank you for your reply.
catlipsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 12:40 PM   #8
gforgiraffe39935
Enthusiast
gforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheesegforgiraffe39935 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Nook, Kobo, Kindle
For GL4 (6-inch), go over to XDA. For the GL4P (2023), nothing known yet. NOOK is basically like Storytel devices now, for those who know what that is. Not meant to be used outside of their region lock and not meant to connect to outside their ecosystem.

Last edited by gforgiraffe39935; 03-29-2024 at 12:41 PM. Reason: grammar
gforgiraffe39935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
downeaster59
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gforgiraffe39935 View Post
For GL4 (6-inch), go over to XDA. For the GL4P (2023), nothing known yet. NOOK is basically like Storytel devices now, for those who know what that is. Not meant to be used outside of their region lock and not meant to connect to outside their ecosystem.
The XDA link is dated May 2022. It downloads the firmware current at that time. Unless there's a way to update the link, that won't work, as far as I can see!