Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
corrncobb
corrncobb began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Cant decide between a few!

Im looking for a christmas gift and am stuck between a few options:
-the kobo aura
-the kobo aura HD
-the kobo arc 7 (HD?)
-the kindle

Basically, im looking to get some sort of e-reader. The person I am getting it for really likes diesel power magazine so if possible I would like to get him that for christmas. He is also one of those people who likes the best electronics on the market.
I have been trying to research the e-readers and tablets. I was thinking of maybe just getting the tablet for him but it seems as if the screen does not display the same as it does on the e-reader (he also would prefer a windows surface pro, so im really steering away from a tablet because i know he will just trade it out soon). However my understanding is that the e-reader does not support color and does not support magazines.
So at this point, im not really sure what to get.
I want something that runs very well, has expandable memory, gets me the best bang for my buck, and if there is something available that DOES support color or magazines that still offers the same kind of reading experience (doesnt strain the eyes, gives sort of that "looking at paper" feel to it).
If there is nothing that would support color or magazines, what would be the best option to still get him an e-magazine subscription? I think kobo has a desktop app?
corrncobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle supports some magazines. Look in the Newstand section of the Kindle Store on Amazon.com to see what is available. Not all magazines are available on all devices, so make sure to check on that, when you are looking at a particular magazine.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Tablets and e-ink readers offer very different features as well as a different reading experience. Many, perhaps most, of us have both and use them differently. As an avid reader, I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I use for almost all of my regular e-book reading and, for me, it's the best e-ink device too own because of the selection and prices of Kindle e-books and Amazon's well-deserved reputation for customer service and support.

None of the Kindles have expandable memory but the storage capacity is more than adequate for most people since Amazon archives all of your purchases in their cloud and you can download them whenever you want. There's really no reason to store your entire library on your device. It just slows you down and makes it hard to find the books you're interested in reading since you have to navigate through page after page of titles and very little information is displayed other than title and author.

I use Calibre to manage my ebook library and download all of my ebooks to my computer then organize them in my Calibre library because it's so much more powerful and customizable than the Amazon cloud. I seldom keep more than a couple of dozen e-books on my device, just the ones I'm currently reading and the next few I plan to read.

I use a 9" tablet for watching videos, checking email and internet surfing, and for reading magazines, PDF's, and anything else with graphics and illustrations. I far prefer a 9 or 10" tablet for these uses, having previously owned a 7" Kindle Fire and a Nexus 7. In my case, the tablet I chose was a Nook HD+. For a combination of price and features, I believe it's one of the best tablets available. I have a dual boot SD card purchased from Android for Nook that allows me to run the stock Nook OS or to run pure Android Jelly Bean.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle, kobo, kobo aura