Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #136
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by llurgy View Post
The main difference between 1 and 2.
Option 1: You have no choices what-so-ever.
Option 2: You can vote with your wallet to wait until the cost comes down.

With option 1 there is no choice and therefore no feedback to the publisher.
With option 2 there is a choice and therefore feedback to the publisher
Except that's not true.

1) There is a choice. Don't buy the ebook, either steal it digitally or check it out from the library. There is always a way to fight back regardless of what they want you to think.
2) That doesn't work since the initial price is so much more.

Example:

Let's say that 100,000 people are going to buy Under The Dome on December 24th.

$9.99 x 100,000 = $999,000 total before Amazon's cut

Now, let's pretend that they released it on the same day as the hardback for $35 and that 10% of his readers bite at that price.

$35 x 10,000 = $350,000

And that they drive away 5% (5,000 people) due to their practices and another 10% (10,000) who opt for the hardback. The other 75% (75,000 people) will purchase Under The Dome on December 24th.

$9.99 x 75,000 = $749,250

$749,250 + $350,000 = $1,099,250 total before Amazon's cut

They would actually make more money doing it that way regardless of them losing 15% of their initial customers. Now all of those numbers were made up off of the top of my head (I can only guess the numbers of what would happen and how many people would purchase the Kindle edition) but still. Do you understand why I am so against this? What publisher would launch on release date for $9.99 when they can do a limited launch at $25-35 and than raking in the normal sales six weeks later?

It is a standard business strategy. Raise the rates because people will just take it and the small amount of people who do leave will be covered by the the price hike.

Last edited by Sporadic; 11-15-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #137
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyafro View Post
Told you, its already on the Darknet, it is against the rules here to let you know where it is but if you look you will find
It sure is
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 PM   #138
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
stealing Intellectual property IS STEALING.
Yes, but so long as Mr. King still owns the copyright no IP was stolen.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:38 AM   #139
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
Except that's not true.

1) There is a choice. Don't buy the ebook, either steal it digitally or check it out from the library. There is always a way to fight back regardless of what they want you to think.
2) That doesn't work since the initial price is so much more.

Example:

Let's say that 100,000 people are going to buy Under The Dome on December 24th.

$9.99 x 100,000 = $999,000 total before Amazon's cut

Now, let's pretend that they released it on the same day as the hardback for $35 and that 10% of his readers bite at that price.

$35 x 10,000 = $350,000

And that they drive away 5% (5,000 people) due to their practices and another 10% (10,000) who opt for the hardback. The other 75% (75,000 people) will purchase Under The Dome on December 24th.

$9.99 x 75,000 = $749,250

$749,250 + $350,000 = $1,099,250 total before Amazon's cut

They would actually make more money doing it that way regardless of them losing 15% of their initial customers. Now all of those numbers were made up off of the top of my head (I can only guess the numbers of what would happen and how many people would purchase the Kindle edition) but still. Do you understand why I am so against this? What publisher would launch on release date for $9.99 when they can do a limited launch at $25-35 and than raking in the normal sales six weeks later?

It is a standard business strategy. Raise the rates because people will just take it and the small amount of people who do leave will be covered by the the price hike.
Your math is 100% conjecture, and therefore doesn't prove anything.
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 10:38 AM   #140
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
Your math is 100% conjecture, and therefore doesn't prove anything.
Um, I said that (since there is no real way of knowing what can happen in the future or how people will respond) and it does prove something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporadic View Post
What publisher would launch on release date for $9.99 when they can do a limited launch at $25-35 and than raking in the normal sales six weeks later?

How does it change that?

Last edited by Sporadic; 11-16-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #141
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
It sure is
This is a great example of why DRM is a joke. The book is available on the darknet in an electronic fashion over a month before it's official ebook release. You have to wonder if the publishers have any clue at all?
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:49 PM   #142
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
This is a great example of why DRM is a joke. The book is available on the darknet in an electronic fashion over a month before it's official ebook release. You have to wonder if the publishers have any clue at all?
I think that they have a clue and for the most part it keeps the material from being pirated since most people have problems getting ebooks into their readers to begin with... for the rest of us though...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #143
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
[QUOTE=rcuadro;658904]I think that they have a clue and for the most part it keeps the material from being pirated since most people have problems getting ebooks into their readers to begin with... for the rest of us though...
[/QUOTE

Probably true, but all it takes is one knowledgeable person in a group who downloads from the darknet and then shares and before you know it there is a business impact. However, that won't be a major issue for them until the market penetration of ereaders grows quite a bit.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #144
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goodbar View Post
Yea, it is available, but the scanned copy is very poorly formatted and only readable for the very dedicated King fan.

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #145
Littermate
Becalmed
Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.Littermate got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Two Sony PRS505 (Breeding pair)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Yea, it is available, but the scanned copy is very poorly formatted and only readable for the very dedicated King fan.

Karen
Just a little digging turned up three versions, one of which is a reasonably nicely formatted HTML file with no glaring mis-scans; that I could see anyway, on a cursory glance through it.

I really should add that I will actually be buying a copy of this book, but I'll wait for the paperback. Just too irritated by the e-book delay so - FACE, say goodbye to NOSE I've kinda gone off King anyway, except in short story doses and I'm not yet ready for another Small Town America dystopian marathon.
Littermate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #146
FligMupple
Enthusiast
FligMupple doesn't litterFligMupple doesn't litter

I've been following the underground ebook version for a few days now, and today a new version was made available that seems to be pretty much perfect.

I converted it and loaded it up onto the Kindle. Now I'm thrilled. I no longer have to lug around the huge heavy hardcover.

Yes, I did buy the hardcover... as mentioned I am a big Stephen King fan, so I needed to start reading it one way or another on "Dome day".
FligMupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #147
Alan P.
Alan P. began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
I've bought EVERY Stephen King book, in hardcover, over the last 25 years; the ones he wrote before that, I've purchased in paperback. I've owned a PRS-505 for two years and can't read a novel on anything else... the size, convenience, etc.
That being said, this waiting until Xmas eve for the ebook version is bullsh*t. Yeah I could buy the hardcover, but it's real hard to lift over your head for 2+ hours reading in bed.
I don't make a habit of looking for books on torrent sites, but I have for this one, unsuccessfully...so far. I'd KILL to find it in any ebook form, and I will still buy the hardcover, just so there's no empty place on my shelf after "Just after Sunset".
This, Mr. King, is why you don't hold back the ebook version for 6 weeks
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #148
tmgplc
Enthusiast
tmgplc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, Kindle Fire 7" (2014)
I bought the hardcover, but want the ebook to take around with me on my reader of blackberry when I happen to have a few min and don't/can't lug around a 1000+ pg book. I would even take a pirated copy at this point because this whole ebook delay/format war(s) is too much of a pain in the ass and just not worth all the hassle and time required to simply get an ebook. I am not even sure how/where to get a pirated ebook, but I bet I could get it faster than through legitimate channels.
tmgplc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #149
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
i've had a copy since Saturday morning and to tell you the truth it is so clean that I'm tempted to cancel my Kindle version pre-order that will be released in December. I'm about 22% in and I really haven't noticed any scanning errors yet. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Ah well, I grabbed it that day it dropped the price dropped to $7.20 so I guess I'll go ahead and pay up once I can.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:20 PM   #150
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
just out of curiosity, has anyone attempted to email King?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote