Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 PM   #271
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
I did that, I think, I am just not sure how to specify a hardcoded address for my PC. It currently looks like that and I connect to the Kindle via ssh root@192.168.15.244. Regarding the netcat stuff (which I have since solved another way) I still wouldn't know which IP to enter to write the dd-read output to a running dd instance on my PC via netcat -- or rather I do know but apparently it's wrong. I had to install the NDIS stuff manually but it works now. This is how my current setup looks, excuse the german.

USBnet itself isn't even installed yet -- I think you guys might be already talking about configuring the WiFi aspect of the hack while I was still talking about the netcat stuff mostly which should be possibly without the WiFi aspect and just with the USBNet hack integrated into the diag partition.

So for the WiFi part I basically change the address that I have currently entered (192.168.15.1) to one which lies on the same subnet as my network PC address (192.168.0.17) so e.g. 192.168.0.18 and change the usbnet config accordingly.

I'm not sure what you mean by yet, but I guess I'll find it in the wiki somewhere...?
Your manually-assigned IP address settings look like they should work, but the preferred IP address for the host PC is 192.168.15.201. Using 192.168.15.1 will cause some network diags to not work correctly. Not that it really matters, but giving conflicting recommended IP addresses will just confuse people needlessly.

And yes, for the wifi interface, you can use server-assigned IP addresses, and look in your wireless router to find the IP address of your kindle and/or your host PC. They should automatically be on the same subnet (192.168.0.x in your case). If you are having wifi connection problems, it could be firewall / iptables related...

Last edited by geekmaster; 11-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:00 PM   #272
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
That picture looks spot on the me.

Exactly what I did. then mirrored this in the kindle.

Yeah the wifi stuff is a bit easier imho - one you have it setup -
you just have to have the iptables stuff in place either way
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 12:37 AM   #273
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
And yes, for the wifi interface, you can use server-assigned IP addresses, and look in your wireless router to find the IP address of your kindle and/or your host PC. They should automatically be on the same subnet (192.168.0.x in your case). If you are having wifi connection problems, it could be firewall / iptables related...
If both your Kindle and your "large" computer are accessing the router via wireless (your "large" computer is also wireless rather than wired) - -
Your router may be optioned to dis-allow wifi-to-wifi connections.

Also, your router will have an address, don't stumble onto that one, you can't duplicate the usage of an address, the addresses must be unique.

Web-search: "Linux home networking" (even if your "large" computer isn't Linux, your kindle is and networking is networking).
Decades of documentation and HowTos out there on this subject.

Last edited by knc1; 11-23-2012 at 12:40 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:58 AM   #274
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If both your Kindle and your "large" computer are accessing the router via wireless (your "large" computer is also wireless rather than wired) - -
Your router may be optioned to dis-allow wifi-to-wifi connections.
... .
Yeah, "AP Isolation Mode" has bitten me more than once. I turn it off on my routers. I want my wired and wireless clients to see each other. And even then, there is "fun" to be had with windows firewalls and such (or stupid antivirus "security suites" that also "protect" you from your own network).
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #275
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
@geekmaster, I changed the host IP Address to 192.168.15.201, connected via ssh root@192.168.15.244 to the Kindle, started "nc -l 31337|dd of=mmcblk0p1.bin" on the host PC and "dd if=/dev/mmcblk0p1|nc 192.168.15.201 31337" on the Kindle -- It still doesn't work which kind of confuses me. (This is not the Wireless connection, it's the USB/NDIS connection when the kindle is booted with the ssh diagnostics partition [rescue pack]). Maybe the fault lies with me for using Windows 7/Cygwin instead of a "real" GNU/Linux distribution.

I will try the WLAN stuff later today, thank you for your help yet again.
cryzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #276
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
One thing puzzles me.
If the "USB downloader" mode is so low level and neither system partition, kernel nor uboot dependent, how comes update 5.3 is able to disable it ?
I suppose the update does little bit more than just reflashing the root partition, kernel and uboot. What is it ? Is it possible to find that in the update script ?
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:02 AM   #277
cryzed
Evangelist
cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cryzed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Pretty sure that the 5.3.0 just disabled the attack vector for the jailbreak. How to boot into these modes with the Paperwhite is simply not known yet because the magic key is unknown. I might be wrong, but that's what I understood.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:17 AM   #278
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No magic key is needed on vanilla 5.2 device. When the same piece of HW upgrades to 5.3, the door is closed ...
The question is: how do they close the door ?

Last edited by dsmid; 11-23-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #279
cryzed
Evangelist

So you are able to enter the USB Downloader mode with the Kindle Paperwhite 5.2.0? Because I read everywhere that that is currently impossible, and that's why installing the rescue pack is such a good idea.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:05 AM   #280
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryzed View Post
So you are able to enter the USB Downloader mode with the Kindle Paperwhite 5.2.0?
USB Downloader mode is independent of firmware version. It's a hardware feature: internal ability of SoC (Kindle's "central processor"). But to enable it, one should set logical "1" on a couple of SoC pins right at a (re)boot moment. On K4/KT holding of physical button ("magic key") set required level on these pins. But PW has no physical buttons, so it's unknown ATM, how to enable USB downloader mode at PW (I think it's not possible at all without direct soldering to these pins, but, maybe, I'm too pessimistic ).

dsmid just confuses himself and anybody who doesn't understand yet distinction between jailbreak vector ("errors" in stock firmware used to place developer key at main parition, which is strictly unavailable to customer/user by default) and USB downloader mode.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:07 AM   #281
geekmaster

The PW does not have a "magic key", so you cannot enter USB Downloader mode unless another way is found.

5.2.0 had ways to install a jailbreak, so you could get root access and make any changes you want. 5.3.0 is locked down, and the currently known way to unlock it is using the serial port, which requires opening the PW and soldering to the circuit board.

The search for an easier way to unlock / root / jailbreak a PW is in progress (until a new jailbreak method is found, or everybody loses interest and moves on to other more open and developer-friendly devices).
Old 11-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #282
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
@NiLuJe and all the others: Thank you for your work, I can happily report that I jailbreaked my new KPW yesterday and then updated it to 5.3.0, keeping the jailbreak. Installing and using USB networking was simple and I've also made a backup. Since I put the 5.3.0 update on the document partition before going to do my backup, I wasn't able to backup 5.2.0 (which was shipped) - it went into automatic update installation without me triggering it manually.

You can probably all imagine how happy my day was when I noticed that my new KPW (shipped in Germany starting this week) came with 5.2.0. And it really tries hard to get Wifi access first thing when you start it, you really have to open the Wifi AP list and close it again to see the "skip and do later" link. I'd probably had gotten 5.3.0 if I wasn't warned and being extra careful.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:19 AM   #283
dsmid
Linux devotee

I'm sorry for the confusion.
I was assuming that USB downloader mode can be activated on vanilla 5.2 without jailbreak. That, according to eureka's post, doesn't seem to be true.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:55 AM   #284
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
- - - -
The search for an easier way to unlock / root / jailbreak a PW is in progress (until a new jailbreak method is found, or everybody loses interest and moves on to other more open and developer-friendly devices).
The world is full of e-ink display devices **not** made by Amazon.

Perhaps some of them are not used by their vendors as market research tools and are not locked down, preventing the owners from opting out of the market research if they desire.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #285
cryzed
Evangelist

For some reason the root password generated by Amazon Kindle root password tool and by kindletool when connected over USBNet are not correct when trying to connect to the OpenSSH instance with enabled WiFi. Any ideas what's wrong? (Note: I did not flash another partition or change the default password, the one I usually use in network diagnostics mode is simply mario).

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch