Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-03-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
mikeny278
mikeny278 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best eReader for SEC filings

I view a lot of SEC filings with text and large tables/charts (proxy statements and annual reports). Typically I download these files in .pdf format, but I can also download them in Word or Explorer. I am looking for recommendations on the best eReader for these types of filings, and a recommendation on the best format to download them for that eReader.

The main features I need are:

- display that makes the filings easy to read (don't want to have to zoom in and out)

- keyword search functionality that would be easy to use

- ability to easily highlight and annotate

It would also be extremely nice for the device to have wifi access and the ability to read the WSJ.

Finally, once you save annotations and highlighting, can you move the file to your computer and view your annotations and highlighting that was saved on the eReader?

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time...

Mike
mikeny278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
You've essentially described a tablet PC. There's dozens to choose from in sizes from 9-12inches and larger. Not necessarily cheap.

Or, if you need the eink and long battery life instead of LCD and color, then you've described the Kindle DX (10in screen). (If you tolerate zoon in/zoom out, maybe a Sony PRS-600)

Check the threads in the Kindle forum.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #3
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeny278 View Post
I view a lot of SEC filings with text and large tables/charts (proxy statements and annual reports). Typically I download these files in .pdf format, but I can also download them in Word or Explorer. I am looking for recommendations on the best eReader for these types of filings, and a recommendation on the best format to download them for that eReader.

The main features I need are:

- display that makes the filings easy to read (don't want to have to zoom in and out)

- keyword search functionality that would be easy to use

- ability to easily highlight and annotate

It would also be extremely nice for the device to have wifi access and the ability to read the WSJ.

Finally, once you save annotations and highlighting, can you move the file to your computer and view your annotations and highlighting that was saved on the eReader?

Thanks for any and all help ahead of time...

Mike
Ipad - has full annotation of pdf's via an iexpensive application call iAnnotate and has a really great Wall Street Journal App custom made for the ipad which can deliver the WSJ every morning for your reading pleasure
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
mikeny278
mikeny278 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the responses. Is the WSJ for Kindle any different than the iPad version in terms of content?
mikeny278 is offline   Reply With Quote