Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
I have ordered the Kindle DX Graphite model

I just ordered the Kindle DX Graphite model. ETA is Friday this week. I ordered now because there is a very high probability that there will not be any other large factor reader from Amazon any time soon (at least not until the end of year or early next year).

I thank everyone who helped me make this decision.

I will take advantage of the 30-day return policy from Amazon if I don't like it. The clock starts ticking this Friday. I hope the KDX works for me and it is not disappointment.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
I hope the KDX works for me and it is not disappointment.
I hope you find it does what you need. I know PDF was a big thing for you and hopefully the DX Graphite will get the updated PDF support the K3 is getting which sounds good...

Quote:
Improved PDF Reader: The new Kindle uses an improved built-in PDF reader with new dictionary lookup, notes and highlights, and support for password protected PDFs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think you are going to enjoy it. I have loved reading on my DXG.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:42 AM   #4
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I'm THIS close to click the buy button, but the glass screen is holding me back, as well as the promise of other 9.7" readers just around the corner.
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
hopefully the DX Graphite will get the updated PDF support the K3 is getting which sounds good...
otherwise, they'll shoot themselves in the foot.
The question is if it will be made available within the next month, or only after the K3's release.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

zetareticuli
I bought the DXG with the same expectations like yours.
Just to play a bit with it.
If it does poorly with technical documentations, I'll buy some other reader, as soon as it gets available.

Last edited by eLiNK; 07-30-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Bummer. If I don't like it I will return it for sure. It has to be good enough for the PDFs I read.

What kinds of problems are you having with your PDFs?

By the way, the firmware on the new Kindle will also be updated for the Kindle DXG. I called Amazon and they confirmed.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
robb01
Connoisseur
robb01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Congrats!
robb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
zetareticuli
Addict

Thank you.

eLink, keep an eye on the Pocketbook 901. Pocketbook is famous for the good PDF support of their e-readers. This one (901) will be their first large display reader. It will probably be available late 2010 or early 2011.

I bought Kindle DXG for technical manuals and scientific papers in PDF. I am more than ready to send it back for a full refund if it does not perform well in this area. Thank you for the heads up.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Bummer. If I don't like it I will return it for sure. It has to be good enough for the PDFs I read.

What kinds of problems are you having with your PDFs?
I won't be able to test it before this weekend.
By that time, you'll have probably received yours.

Quote:
By the way, the firmware on the new Kindle will also be updated for the Kindle DXG. I called Amazon and they confirmed.
Good news. Thanks a bunch.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
eLink, keep an eye on the Pocketbook 901. Pocketbook is famous for the good PDF support of their e-readers. This one (901) will be their first large display reader. It will probably be available late 2010 or early 2011.
That's what I was afraid of.
And thus, I decided to pull the trigger on DXG now.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
zetareticuli
Addict

eLink, the Pocketbook 901 will not be available until the end of this year or early next year, I think. I recently asked in the Pocketbook forum and the response from a Pocketbook reseller was that we will have more detailed information in September. That is pretty much why I decided to get the DXG now. The Pocketbook 901 is supposed to have excellent PDF support comparable to the full-featured PDF viewers that run on workstations. The Pocketbook that was announced will not have WiFi or 3G features but it will have a slot for an SD card up to 32 GB. There are rumors that models with WiFi and 3G from Pocketbook will soon follow with a higher price tag. Pocketbook is famous in the 6" reader market for the support of a wide variety of ebook formats. The 901 is going to be their first large display reader.

I really wanted to get something like the Pocketbook that had support for different formats and really good PDF support but I was not willing to wait so I bought the DXG. I know I will make good use of it if it suits my need. If it doesn't I will send it back for a refund. If it's good enough for my needs, I will keep it and use it until better devices, be it the Pocketbook or others, become available. I really think we will see very nifty portable reading devices for us technical readers in 2011.