Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM   #16
FriendOfEntropy
Radioactivist Mutant
FriendOfEntropy began at the beginning.

Device: Witstech A81, Toshiba e310 Pocket PC
So this thing I can look for at Kohls tomorrow is actually more solid construction and quality than even the A81 in your opinion ?

I had narrowed my choice down to the A81 based on great reviews, but if the 30% coupon stacks with everything else tomorrow on sale, I might have to hold my nose at the javAndroid-ness of this device and give it a shot.

I liked the CE based players idea for utilizing my C# .NET skills to do custom stuff, but boy, if the price of this Android reader can get whittled down to 2/3 or less the cost of an A81....I might could make do with just the free apps that are out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I can tell you one thing for sure - it is much higher quality than any of the Chinese brands I picked up in the past, and that has been quite a few. A81, SmartQ7, SmartV7, A700 to name a few.
FriendOfEntropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Some issues I have run into:

1. The device has locked up a few times
2. The menu in the reader that lets you change things like day/night mode will sometimes not activate on a single tap as it says in the manual.

I think folks should try the thing at least. It can easily be returned to Kohl's if you don't like it. My opinion: If they can release firmware updates that correct the little issues like the above it will be a steal for the price.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #18
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Any word for sure on if this is running Eclair (2.0/2.1)? Someone said it's running Cupcake (1.5) which seems wrong to me, I mean 2.1's been out for a while now.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #19
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I talked with Pandigital today. The support was very good! The guy told me they update firmware on almost a daily basis right now because they are trying to really make the device sing. I got the idea that they are very committed to the device.

The technician told me the device is definately running Android 2.0.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
Nice looking device this and seems just the sort of thing I'd like to get (especially if it can be hacked to get a comic reader on), but I just don't get how you and Nate have such differing opinions on it.

After being on this site for quite some time, I've come to respect and trust both yours and Nates opinions on devices and wll acept your reviews as buying guides. Somethings just not right here, could Nate's Novel be broken? Would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of the two or could it be possible for one of you to test the others Novel?
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #21
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

All I can say ghostyjack is that I am as confused as you. I respect and trust Nate's opinions just as much as you do! On the other hand, on this device we disagree. I have had problems with it, so it isn't just a perfect bed of roses. Still, I think it is on another level completely from my chinese devices. I also think they will get these little issues squared away. I won't say Nate's opinion is wrong, because I respect him, but the only way to find out how you feel is to continue watching and make your own judgement or just go out and buy the thing.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
All I can say ghostyjack is that I am as confused as you. I respect and trust Nate's opinions just as much as you do! On the other hand, on this device we disagree. I have had problems with it, so it isn't just a perfect bed of roses. Still, I think it is on another level completely from my chinese devices. I also think they will get these little issues squared away. I won't say Nate's opinion is wrong, because I respect him, but the only way to find out how you feel is to continue watching and make your own judgement or just go out and buy the thing.
And I prefer the SmartQ 7 over the Novel. Which is rather funny, considering that I bought the 7 based on your review.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:29 PM   #23
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyjack View Post
Nice looking device this and seems just the sort of thing I'd like to get (especially if it can be hacked to get a comic reader on), but I just don't get how you and Nate have such differing opinions on it.

After being on this site for quite some time, I've come to respect and trust both yours and Nates opinions on devices and wll acept your reviews as buying guides. Somethings just not right here, could Nate's Novel be broken? Would be nice to see a side-by-side comparison of the two or could it be possible for one of you to test the others Novel?
Thanks. I trust ColdSun's opinion, too.w That's what makes this situation really weird.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 PM   #24
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And I prefer the SmartQ 7 over the Novel. Which is rather funny, considering that I bought the 7 based on your review.
LOL well I've purchased more devices based on your reviews trust me. I haven't had one that I regretted yet.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #25
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
If it does have one, I can't find it. Don't lose hope though - I know for a fact they have a black 2GB version lighter and slimmer than this one coming in July and from what I've heard it does have an accelerometer. I can tell you one thing for sure - it is much higher quality than any of the Chinese brands I picked up in the past, and that has been quite a few. A81, SmartQ7, SmartV7, A700 to name a few.
Imagine that, a device like this actually designed by an American company! No doubt it was probably manufactued in China, but at least it didn't start out speaking Chinese and have to be translated into English! Nor is it merely a Chinese item imported by an American redistributer (front company). It sounds like their support is much better than the Chinese companies. And unlike the expensive iBad it doesn't come with apps that will soon allow advertising! I'm definitely going to get one tomorrow.

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #26
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

The person I talked to at Pandigital today was definately in the United States.
Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
The person I talked to at Pandigital today was definately in the United States, which was a change for me.
Good! A lot of American companies outsource their technical support to other countries. I feel confident that with B&N partnering with Pandigital, and Pandigital seeming to want to produce a quality product, that this will be a safe purchase. I was disappointed with the Archos 5 IT (which I returned) and the SmartQ V7 (which I sold to Nate).

Last edited by jswinden; 06-08-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #28
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I feel exactly as you do. I'll be interested to see how you feel about it. Do you like it as much as I do? Do you agree with Nate? Are you somewhere in the middle? I can't wait for the next firmware to be honest. I think each one will improve it.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:49 AM   #29
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Did they offer any hint of a timetable for when they'll get installable App support going?
(Ie.; Days, weeks, months? Summer or fall? That sort of thing.)

I'm looking at the Movel as more of a platform than as a reader device. So the features of the current reader app would, to me, be secondary to whatever Android 2.0 offers up. Its hardware and firmware quaity that might sell me. (Plus the price, natch! )
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 10:54 AM   #30
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
See my post for important information

I don't want to double post, so check out the following link concerning Kohls and the apparent recall...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=85502&page=2

Last edited by Noah98; 06-09-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote