Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 02:48 PM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
LAYOUT OF CALIBRE LIBRARY

Sincere apologies if this has been asked and answered before -- I've looked through the Calibre manual and read as much as I can of the FAQ threads here and can't find how to fix a simple problem.

My PC has just died on me (mother board) and taken my Calibre library with it. I had been hoping to hit it today to load up a stock of reading in my Sony 505, in which I only keep my current reading and odds and ends, for a long-ish stay in hospital after the weekend. So I downloaded Calibre to the netbook I'm using now and have so far loaded it with three books.

Trouble is that the Library screen is now overwhelmed with a black window sowing a rolling display of the books' covers, leaving so little space at the top for the titles themselves that only one at a time will show.

I'm sure there's a quick fix. Any tips?

Thanks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
That sounds like the cover-view mode screen. You probably have accidentally clicked on the icon at the bottom right of the main screen that brings up this screen. You can simply close the window.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm sorry, Itimpi, I can't see an icon at the bottom right of the main screen. Could that be because I'm working on a tiny netbook right now? Any other ideas for turning that screen off? Many thanks. Neil
Old 03-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr

Ah ... thanks Itimpi. Because on a netbook it Calibre appears to be at full display, I hadn't thought of maximising the page. I did that and found an icon on the bottom right (a white arrow in a black box). Clicked that and all's well. Thanks again. Cheers. Neil
Old 03-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
There are 3 big buttons just under the main window. One with a arrow on it is for cover-view mode; then one with a tag for tag mode, and the last one to view background jobs.

You can just click the x at the top right of the unwanted window to close that window.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2010, 04:39 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr

Many thanks, Itimpi. Got it now. Here's karma to ya. Neil
Old 03-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Condolences on mb crash

My sympathies on your mb failure. If that is the sole problem, you might be able to remove the hard drive and use an adaptor to convert it to a USB drive. Then you could transfer the contents anywhere you like just by plugging it in.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:55 AM   #8
neilmarr
neilmarr

Thanks, Mrmikel. My PC tower has been rushed off to the PC hospital now, so there's nothing I can do right now. I'm in the hospital for humans after the weekend and won't be back at my desk for a couple of weeks; by that time, I hope all will be up and running again, probably on a new computer. Horses for courses -- I'm a technodummy and leave it to the experts. Costs a bit, but it saves in the long run on lost working time. Appreciate the thought, though. Very best wishes and thanks again for sound advice I can follow when there's another disaster. Cheers. Neil
Old 03-28-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Neil, good luck with your surgery! Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Do you need me to send you anything? I have about 80 Mobile Read books...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr

That's a very kind offer, Ficbot. Much appreciated. I have some good reading in my 505 -- quite a bit when I checked -- but I downloaded Calibre to my netbook today and snagged a few classics from the generous MR library to see me over if they decide to keep me in for bad behaviour. I also have a couple of ARCs in paperback to proof, so I don't think I'll get bored. Thanks again. Catch you when I come up for air. Cheers FB. Neil