Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #31
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My mistake on magical realism.
For a book using the proper definition of magical realism, I suggest Graham Hancock's Supernatural: Meetings With the Ancient Teachers of Mankind. Vision questing and heightened reality coupled with experimentation with shamanic and ritual lore and pharmacology.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:00 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaCowboy View Post
My mistake on magical realism.
For a book using the proper definition of magical realism, I suggest Graham Hancock's Supernatural: Meetings With the Ancient Teachers of Mankind. Vision questing and heightened reality coupled with experimentation with shamanic and ritual lore and pharmacology.
My suggestion would be Salman Rushdie's "Midnight's Children". Wonderful book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #33
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I don't have much experience with Magical Realism but it sounds like Jo Walton's Among Others might fit and is an excellent book.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #34
wrenfigueiro
wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wrenfigueiro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Urban Fantasy: Into the Veil by Jennifer R. McDonald and the rest of the trilogy. They're all excellent. Especially the last one.

Historical fiction: You've probably already read it, but it's excellent - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Last edited by wrenfigueiro; 10-16-2015 at 05:41 PM. Reason: remembered another suggestion
wrenfigueiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 07:51 PM   #35
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Magical Realism - Love in the Time of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. But I'm guessing from a sample of your Goodreads lists, you've already read him.

And the Salman Rushdie book HarryT suggested...
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #36
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

About your world challenge too, might consider Henryk Sienkiewicz's (Poland) "Quo Vadis" or "The Trilogy" (With Fire and Sword, The Deluge and Fire in the Steppe) which I think is the Polish national epic. And happens to be free here, in the Ebook section.

I've read With Fire and Sword and Quo Vadis (in paper) and enjoyed both very much.

All 4 volumes of the Swedish national epic are in Kindle, I forget all 4 names but Vol 1 is "The Emigrants" by Vilhelm Moberg. They're pretty expensive in Kindle so you could check the library.

And...
That's all I know.

Last edited by wayspooled; 10-16-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #37
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Magical Realism - Love in the Time of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. But I'm guessing from a sample of your Goodreads lists, you've already read him.

And the Salman Rushdie book HarryT suggested...
Actually I haven't read either. Hangs head in shame. I'm not that well read really. I do try to be open to everything though. Gabriel García Marquez (One Hundred Years of Solitude) is probably the winner. I'd get to check off Colombia and Magical Realism. Sorry Salman Rushdie, but I've probably read enough United Kingdom authors for several lifetimes already. I'll get to it some day, but in my best Aragorn voice "not this day."

I've read a couple from Poland already and a few from Sweden so there is no pressing need from those countries. The Poland one is getting my interest though given my dad was from Poland.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:52 AM   #38
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenfigueiro View Post
Urban Fantasy: Into the Veil by Jennifer R. McDonald and the rest of the trilogy. They're all excellent. Especially the last one.

Historical fiction: You've probably already read it, but it's excellent - Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Hmmm...urban fantasy might be worth adding as a category.

Based on what I've seen and the recommendations I am more of a crime thriller as opposed to political thriller kind of person so if I remove Thriller and just have Crime I can probably cover that interest. That would open up a spot for urban fantasy which I don't think I've really read any of. Definitely fits the bill of getting me reading more things. Which is totally hypocritical to the reading things I don't usually read thing. Haha.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:18 PM   #39
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I've got two challenges for my reading in 2016 and I look for books early because being on a budget, I need to scope out sales and do a lot of searching through my library to see what is available.

What I need help with is suggestions for the following categories and yes I am aware that some are not really genres. As well, if you've got a genre I should try, tell me and I might make a substitution. Anyway, here are the genres and the book I've picked so far. Feel free to approve, criticize, mock, whatever.
historical fiction:
horror:
science fiction:
banned:
history:
science:
literary fiction:
short stories: Anything by Nancy Fulda
biography / memoir: Waiting for Wrigley - Paul Sullivan
fantasy: Frank Tuttle Markhat series (Dead Man's Rain good place to start)
magical realism:
dystopia:
chick-lit:
mystery: The Tell-tale Con by Gilchrist
romance: Crocodile on the Sandbank (Elizabeth Peters)
steampunk: All the Paths of Shadow - Frank Tuttle
humor:
folklore / mythology:
gothic: Barbara Michaels (any of them)
thriller:
crime:
zombies: Booster and Reeves
western:
travel / adventure:
space opera:
pulp fiction: No Game for a Dame (Maggie Sullivan is the main)

I reviewed most of these on the blog (but I use affiliate links so can't link to the reviews. However if you want more info just ask!)

I will think of a couple of others and fill them in. I can't think of the title of Matthew Iden's book. And I'm not sure if it's Matt or Matthew. Or if I have the last name correct...
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:24 PM   #40
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Magical Realism - Love in the Time of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez.
Wha' the heck is that? LOL.. Yes, you got it, One Hundred Years of Solitude. Love in the Time of Cholera is my favorite of his books.... <thumps his head>

Tags
genres, recommendations, world