Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
mapletony
mapletony began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Read books horizontally

How can I read a book horizontally with the PRS-505? Also when I'm creating my own PDF what's the format AxB should I use?

Thanks,
Tony
mapletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
To switch to and from landscape mode, you press the resize button and hold it down for a couple of seconds until the change takes place (whereas you would just press and release at once when using it to resize).

The correct page size for PDFs formatted for the PRS-505 display is 3.47" (width) by 4.54" (height).
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
anotherchance
Zealot
anotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enoughanotherchance will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapletony View Post
How can I read a book horizontally with the PRS-505? Also when I'm creating my own PDF what's the format AxB should I use?

Thanks,
Tony
To switch orientation, HOLD the magnify button for a few seconds.

And although most wouldn't recommend using PDF at all, the wiki page for the PRS505 has the page dimensions you should try using.
anotherchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
mapletony

thank you guys. the landscape view worked like a charm. Unfortunately though the 3.47x4.54 didn't do any good. the pdf is still not readable. I think the only alternative is to use to conversion software. I tried to convert to lrf and the code in a technical book ended up a bit all over the place. Is there any way to keep the same look and feel while zooming a technical pdf?
Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Be interested in your experience reading horizontally. I've tried it but prefer the vertical mode.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #6
mapletony

cassidym, from my 10 minutes test I must say that I prefer vertical mode too. The reading line becomes quite long and the vertical space very tight. I think this ain't the solution. The proper way to resolve the problem is to get the file to a readable size in vertical mode.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
Sboomer72
Sboomer72 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
I agree, one of the main reasons I bought my Reader over a year ago was to load and read my computer technical manuals. They are virtually impossible to read, short of holding up a magnifying glass to the reader screen. I guess I should have tried before I bought, but I am enjoying reading books, especially on the plane. Maybe someday someone will come up with a way to make those EMC, IBM manuals readable.
Sboomer72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboomer72 View Post
Maybe someday someone will come up with a way to make those EMC, IBM manuals readable.
If you play around with the conversion software available here, you should be able to covert your manuals to a readable format. I've just converted a Lotus Notes manual in PDF format to something comfortably readable, and it includes all of the screenshots/diagrams from the original document. Granted, the images are a little on the small side, but clear enough to manage with, but the text has come out fine. That particular PDF was causing me problems until I tried the PDF -> Mobi -> LRF conversion route.

Irene
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #9
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Does anyone notice that in horizontal landscape mode there is some kind of weird artifact on the bottom? The text seems to fade away...
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
akiburis
Connoisseur
akiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enoughakiburis will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505, iLiad Book Edition
Quote:
Does anyone notice that in horizontal landscape mode there is some kind of weird artifact on the bottom? The text seems to fade away...
It's deliberate. The reason for it is that, given the dimensions of the screen, a bit more than a horizontal half page is displayed in each view in landscape mode. The faded area is the overlap between one view and the next. The point is that you should ignore those faded-out lines---just read past them, so to speak---otherwise you'd be reading them twice. It's something of a makeshift and does look strange at first, but it's easy enough to get used to once you see the point of it.
akiburis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:36 PM   #11
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Oh ok. Thanks!
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote