Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
sundog
sundog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Amazon's new cover image requirements

So, I thought I was all ready to upload my first .mobi through KDP for sale in the Kindle store. It has an embedded cover at 600x800, as recommended. During the upload process I found that Amazon's cover image requirements recently changed (back in April). Apparently, Amazon now relies on a single cover image file that is uploaded during this process and that serves as both the web bookshelf image and is automatically compressed and embedded into your ebook content file as part of the conversion process. They now require the image to be a minimum of 1000 px in the long dimension, and recommend 2500 px for better quality.

My questions are:
Since Amazon says they will, without giving any choice to the publisher, compress and embed the uploaded file into the ebook to serve as the embedded cover image, do I now need to go back and remove the cover image I had embedded?

Also, since they're requiring this much larger image file to be uploaded and will embed it into the ebook during conversion, won't this increase the download delivery cost for sales through Amazon, while taking away the publisher's control over the file size?
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I believe you have the option of using the cover that you embed in your metadata or allowing Amazon to compress your big honkin' display cover to use as your book cover. The last time I looked, this choice box was right below the 'upload cover' on your dashboard. But who can keep up on Amazon. There are new display cover requirements on iBooks too.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
There are new display cover requirements on iBooks too.
Also for Smashwords.

With all the higher rez devices many with bigger screens it makes some sense to require something larger than 600x800.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 AM   #4
sundog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AThirstyMind View Post
I believe you have the option of using the cover that you embed in your metadata or allowing Amazon to compress your big honkin' display cover to use as your book cover. The last time I looked, this choice box was right below the 'upload cover' on your dashboard. But who can keep up on Amazon. There are new display cover requirements on iBooks too.
The option apparently no longer exists and replacement of your embedded cover is automatic upon conversion. What baffles me then is their recommendation to provide a larger file at 1.6 height:width ratio. When I did this and it replaced my embedded cover image, it did not fill the page correctly when I previewed it. So I guess I'll go back and upload a new larger sized cover image that has the same 1.33 ratio to match the embedded 600x800 one, and hopefully all will be good after their replacement.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog View Post
The option apparently no longer exists and replacement of your embedded cover is automatic upon conversion. What baffles me then is their recommendation to provide a larger file at 1.6 height:width ratio. When I did this and it replaced my embedded cover image, it did not fill the page correctly when I previewed it. So I guess I'll go back and upload a new larger sized cover image that has the same 1.33 ratio to match the embedded 600x800 one, and hopefully all will be good after their replacement.
You don't have to fill the screen of the Kindle with the cover image. What happens when people do this is that they end up stretching the cover so it's aspect ratio is incorrect. Please leave your cover such that it is aspect ratio correct and ignore the fact that it may not fully fit the Kindle screen.

Which would you prefer, the screen of the Kindle to be filled with an odd looking cover image or the cover image leaving blank space on the left/right side of the Kindle screen and the cover to look correct/normal? When you look at a paper book, do you see the cover image stretched to fill the space? No, you don't because the publisher makes sure the cover image it aspect ratio correct. The issue is that the Kindle screen is not the same aspect as most paper books and it is not the same aspect as most tablets (Kindle Fire). So just let the cover not fill (width wise) and look correct.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
sundog

I guess we've got two threads going here covering the same topic:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185164

I'm sorry folks, it was late and I was frustrated.

In any case, the images don't need to be stretched as I can edit my original cover art source to do whatever I want. Yes, it's a hassle, but it would be worth it if I could take advantage of it, which Amazon no longer allows